Thread: Waders/Hip boots

Default Waders/Hip boots

Good morning.

I am preparing my gear for the upcoming moose hunt during which I will be floating for about 2 weeks on a cataraft. I have read many good comments re: using breathable waders on float hunting scenario.

I have a couple questions:

1. I have a set of breathable waders by "Sterns" that has integrated boots. Would you rather recommend the other type w/ neoprene stocking foot waders w/ separate boots? If so, what would be the advantage of the latter and what brand/model would you recommend?

2. Would you recommend packing a pair of hip boots as a back up? If so, what brand/model would you recommend?

Thank you for your time in advance and I wish you a good weekend.

Regards,

yhc

Default Waders

If you are going to be in cold weather and not hiking too much, you may consider a wader with built in boots, neoprene, and thick. If you plan on doing alot of hiking off the river, you may be more comfortable in some with seperate boots of higher quality. As far as hip boots go, i would go with the breatheble type given the choice. more comfortable in the cataraft I would assume. I saw alot of wader/hip waders on Cabelas website the other day. Go to www.cabelas.com and click on the bargain cave. Or you can go to the main page and under search, put in waders. Lots of good deals on there right now. Some stuff is half price. I have a pair of the 5 mm Cabelas brand waders and they are as nice as any I have seen. Used them for 3 years now with no patch jobs needed as of yet. They come with a repair kit also and that is nice to have on extended trips. Beats duct tape anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by yhc
    Would you rather recommend the other type w/ neoprene stocking foot waders w/ separate boots? If so, what would be the advantage of the latter and what brand/model would you recommend?
    yhc
    Most bootfoot waders I've seen and worn are handier to get on than stocking foot ones, but the boots leave a lot to be desired for hicking in my book. Orvis has a great looking pair that actually lace up for some ankle support, but they still have felt soles I believe (though I think they come with studs as well... I've always steered away from studs cause I think my buddy's with floats will have a heart attack if I wear them on the float tops!) I have a few pair of quality hiking boot type wading shoes with stealth rubber soles for my various waders, LL Bean makes a great pair, so does Simms... They do pretty good as far as hiking goes, and really well as far as sticking to slick rocks when wading. Also use the NRS workboat in an over size for wading shoe with my goretex and they work super in both regards as well. Instead of hipboots I'd take a patch kit, and a pair of warm comfortable camp boots to put on and give your feet a rest in the evneings from what I call the "neo-feet syndrome" Good luck, Chris