Thread: Electra-Dyne Puller Switch

Default Electra-Dyne Puller Switch

We've had the Electra-Dyne puller for a year or more, and it works great. Except, the on-off switch that came with it is intermittent. Sometimes it works every time, sometimes you have I have to switch it back and forth before it starts to pull. Here's the switch as seen on their website...

...and how it looks on my boat...

Hard to see inside the tupperware I know.

Is anyone else having a problem with their switch? Suggestions on other types of switches?

If I decide to try another type of switch, what's the amperage rating to look for?

Thanks!

I have the same switch. It's been installed on my boat and unprotected for 5 years. Works great. I would replace it with the same switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be a bad switch or bad wiring. What does the wiring look like on the back of the switch and at the battery?

PM Potbuilder and he will get you fixed up.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I'd say water has gotten into the switch from where its mounted. Doesn't a lot of water & spray get on it mounted there ?? Water will run down the shaft and into the switch. I have switches in stock if you need one. The guys back east have been reusing the shrink wrap from boats to cover their gearbox/motors and switches to keep the weather off them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'd say water has gotten into the switch from where its mounted. Doesn't a lot of water & spray get on it mounted there ?? Water will run down the shaft and into the switch. I have switches in stock if you need one. The guys back east have been reusing the shrink wrap from boats to cover their gearbox/motors and switches to keep the weather off them.
    Yes, it's certainly a wet area on the boat. Hence the attempt to seal it up a bit.

The shrink wrap is an interesting idea. Do you have any pictures of that set up?

Do you take Pay Pal?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Yes, it's certainly a wet area on the boat. Hence the attempt to seal it up a bit.

The shrink wrap is an interesting idea. Do you have any pictures of that set up?

Do you take Pay Pal?
    I think your getting water running down the switch handle and on to the shaft that goes into the switch. No pics on shrink wrap. No PP but can take credit card on a phone order.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I've used a plastic conduit box to mount the switch in they have a o-ring sealed lid. I can't take credit for this invention it was told to me by another member on here but i've used it on my demo hauler at the shows & shop for years. I used the existing mounting bolts on the hauler to mount the box. You can find the boxes at home depot.
    20160829_153919[1].jpg20160829_153924[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Another thing you might look into as well as a sealed electrical jbox like that is a pourable splice kit from 3M. I'm an electrician and do quite a bit of splicing and some of their encased splice kits are rated to be completely submerged underwater. Probably an expensive option but you won't have corrosion issues due to water getting where it isn't wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafish View Post
    Another thing you might look into as well as a sealed electrical jbox like that is a pourable splice kit from 3M. I'm an electrician and do quite a bit of splicing and some of their encased splice kits are rated to be completely submerged underwater. Probably an expensive option but you won't have corrosion issues due to water getting where it isn't wanted.
    the water runs down the shaft on the front of the switch to get into the guts of the switch. If it were me i'd try and mount the switch with a slight downward angle.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692