Thread: Scope question...hash marks or dots..somebody stop me!!!

Default Scope question...hash marks or dots..somebody stop me!!!

So here I am at Cabela's looking to buy a new scope for a new rifle I have on the way ( Remington XCR Compact Tactical), well I'm looking through the Leupold MK 4 4.5 -14x50 and there are mil dots, so I played with it for a few minutes, was impressed with how compact it is compared to the Nightforce 4-14x56. The Nightforce was bigger longer maybe a tad brighter, but I would't bet on it. The Nightforce has a red reticle with hash marks. Is the difference between dots and dashes a personal or practical one??? The Leupole (dots) looks like it would more astedictly pleasing due to its compact size. It seems to me that the dot covers up a portion of the target and the hash marks (dashes) show a bit more of what yer shootin at. Give me your thoughts please..much appreciated.

Well...judging by the number of responses I would say that dashes or dots must be a personal thing...I'll even take an emotional opinion at this point.

Kinda hard to get a word in here edgeways Oneriver with the reply's! I would say def personal. I have always liked med to light crosshairs as I am pretty much a stickler on game to aim small - miss small. Over the years I have grown fond of the Lupy LR scopes with cross hairs and two lower lines that cross and then the post. For most of my critter get'n that gets me easily to 400 yards with most of my shooting irons and then I have a couple 3.5 x 10 Lupy's with the CDS system so once again out to 600 plus yards I dial it in and once again rely on cross hairs.
    If I was purely setting up a long range tactical set up I would probably go with hash marks for me since they more closely resemble crosshair lines which I am fond of.To me dots are better served for fast action type shots.. Good luck with the new rig!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    Well...judging by the number of responses I would say that dashes or dots must be a personal thing...I'll even take an emotional opinion at this point.
    I prefer a fixed 6x with a 4A reticle. I can't get emotional about dots and dashes unless we're talking Morse code..
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I prefer the hash marks.

From what I know, the dots are used by military snipers for range estimation. Since I always have a laser range finder, I prefer the hash marks. Look at NightForce's website explaining the different reticle systems.

thnx for the replies and all the good info. I have decided on the Leupold 6.5-20x50 TMR first focal..