Thread: bear salvage

Default bear salvage

Alaska fish and game won't give me a straight answer...in a meat or hide bear salvage area for black bear, could I take out the hide, skill and then just grab the backstraps? Or do I have to take all salvagable meat out if I decide to take any of it? I'm thinking that since it might taste fishy in a salmon area, I might try some at point of kill and if it isn't the best, maybe only grab the best cuts

Bear meat is not required salvage, in Unit #2, in fall. You can salvage any part of the meat, or none of it, if you want.

You must bring the hide and skull in for sealing.

It would help to know what Unit you're speaking of specifically; but if you're not required to salvage the meat in said Unit then you can take none/some/or all depending on your preference.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

I wouldn't be too quick to think the bear might taste bad just because there are fish in the area. I killed a big bore late in the fall a few years back and although there were fish nearby he was up in the berries. Needless to say all of him came home....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I plan on hopefully getting a fire going and try a chunk of loin if we are so lucky to get a bear. I've just heard stories of fishy bears and if that is the case, I'd like to try it and see before I haul it all out. I'm not gonna leave good meat to waste!

Quote Originally Posted by seeth07 View Post
    I plan on hopefully getting a fire going and try a chunk of loin if we are so lucky to get a bear. I've just heard stories of fishy bears and if that is the case, I'd like to try it and see before I haul it all out. I'm not gonna leave good meat to waste!
    I know this sounds overly simple, but smell it....It has been my experience that meat smells very much like it taste. I have found this especially true with bears.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Dang you Steve, again with those terrible pictures...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seeth07 View Post
    Good idea, just make sure to cook it all the way through. If it's been eating rotting salmon, I've heard it's mainly the fat that is nasty, not necessarily the meat, but I've never confirmed that.

Ya, would help to know the unit. Some units require the skull and hide, some require all 3 in the spring. Where I'm heading in the fall it requires the skull and either hide or meat. read the regs on what is edible for bears, but it's mainly the quarters and the backstraps. If you're not required to bring the meat out just bring what you want.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Bring it all back. Turn it all into burger, sausage, jerky and stew. Just tack the time to get all the fat and silver skin off the meat. If you're looking to have a nice med rare steak; don't risk it due to triganosis. ( the spelling is wrong but you know what I mean) If you cook that steak well done; it well be like tuff rubber. If you don't want it I'll come and get if I can get to were you are. I loooove me some black bear.

Surprisingly I have found that fall bear is just as good as spring tasting. Spring is great, but I would salvage all the meat unless it was late late in the season and they're looking for scraps along the shore or rivers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Theres literally a breakdown in the hunting regulations for unit/time of year in regards to salvage requirements, just because its fishy does not mean its unsalvageable. Heres what a 2 second google search turned up https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/r.../pdfs/bear.pdf

Good luck on your hunt.

I wish they would change the regs to not having to take the hide out if you salvage the meat. I shoot a lot of bears for the meat and have packed out several extra bear hides because I'm required to just to have them sealed and then leave them in the nearest dumpster when I was only interested in the meat.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk