Thread: Barrel twist?

Default Barrel twist?

Whats the best twist rate for a 35 whelen if your goal is to use 225-250 or heavier bullets? Thanks

I use 14 twist and typically cut at 20-21" length. Seems to stabilize the 225 Barnes, the 225 Accubonds, as well as the 250 Hotcores from Speer without issue. I don't get blistering speeds out of them as some folks claim.

This is another forum but has some good information if you pick through. There is a lot of information on this Cal if you do a Google search.
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...twist_rate_and_

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Whats the best twist rate for a 35 whelen if your goal is to use 225-250 or heavier bullets? Thanks
    You can also Google "green hill formula" for barrel twist rates. It takes into account length and weight of bullet, velocity, etc.

Seems tough to find a Whelan with a 1 in 14 twist. Most I've seen are 16. I think the way to go if a guy wants to use the heavier bullets would be a 9.3x62, they all seem to be 1 in 14. Pretty sure Tikka makes a LH in a 9.3x62. Tikka doesn't bring them in to Canada, but Sako does and Clay at Prophet River figures he could order one for next season.
    Sorry, off topic...
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have gotten 2 from X-Caliber in Kalispell, MT. They will do a pre-fit for a Savage or send you or your smith a contoured blank to chamber. If you guys are in Canada that may add a wrinkle though. I think export is a different matter.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

If you need the length of a particular bullet, lemme know. l have a data base that gives me that and more.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I have gotten 2 from X-Caliber in Kalispell, MT. They will do a pre-fit for a Savage or send you or your smith a contoured blank to chamber. If you guys are in Canada that may add a wrinkle though. I think export is a different matter.
    I don't know how hard it would be to get a barrel over the border. You folks see to have gunsmiths around every corner, here, not so much. There was an amazing barrel man in northern BC who built a 358NM for me. Sadly, he recently passed away. Would have loved to have him build me a 35 Wh. I'm sure there are other good gunsmiths here in Canada, but most of them seem to be word of mouth guys, and for me anyway, getting a firearm built is an act of faith. You don't just want anyone with a lathe slapping a rifle together.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Interesting question. My 270 Win is a standard 1 in 10" twist rate, but if I ever re barrel it, I will probably go with a 1 in 9". My 500 Jeffery with a McGowen barrel has a 1 in 10" twist rate compared to the "standard" 1 in 17" It's very accurate, once you load a 570g bullet over 2400 fps you do feel the rifle trying to turn in your hands a bit. I keep the loads down to 2300 fps for both that reason and my shoulder's sake. A little too fast is better than a little too slow.