Thread: Jeep/Jeep cj forum?

Default Jeep/Jeep cj forum?

I'm looking for a good well-read forum regarding info on Jeep cj's. I'm looking at moving up/adding a big rig to my collection and have a ton of questions about Jeeps/cj's. Interested in a good big rig site too.
    NO, NO, NO! I'm NOT suggesting another stupid forum on this sub-forum happy site!!

Any help?
    Tim

I'm a member of the Jk forum and they do talk about CJs there as well. http://www.jk-forum.com/

I have an old CJ5 w/ 304 v8 that I'm probably gonna let go here pretty soon....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd be interested to see what you have 4mer.

Maybe you can answer a few questions for me?

I want a jeep that will do Eureka/Swede Lake/Denali Highway trails. Something that can be 4x4'd, not a beauty queen. I just don't know what I'm looking for! Does engine make/model really matter? Is there a particular make/model engine to avoid? What about gear ratios? Is bigger better? (4.88 vs 4.10, etc...?) I've seen a few cj 5 & 7's with 33" tires; are those big enough for Eureka mud and water crossings? What size lift (suspension/body or both?) does a jeep need to have to not rub with 33, 35 or whatever size tires? Is there a formula to figure that out?

As you can tell, I'm probably better off asking on a jeep forum. I'll check out your jk recommendation.

Since you own a jeep, can you tell me what kind of questions I should ask when looking for a jeep? Would any of these fit my needs--just based on the pics/ads?

Thanks 4merguide and anyone else that can chime in.
    http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/cto/5723361722.html
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5739629999.html
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5752516321.html

Last two seems a bit pricey to me for an off road jeep and not sure even if they fit the bill.

Tim

First question to be asked here is are you wanting a trailer rig? Or does it need to be street legal?

If you are going to try and keep it street legal, you are going to spend a bundle of money for something that is honestly only so so offroad. You would be money ahead to invest in a trailer. And build/buy a dedicated offroad rig.

I'm impressed by the shape and price of those rigs on Craigslist. You don't find those here for that price. I'm a big LJ fan. I'm a jeep forum member. They have a whole section on cj's.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I'm impressed by the shape and price of those rigs on Craigslist. You don't find those here for that price. I'm a big LJ fan. I'm a jeep forum member. They have a whole section on cj's.

Me too. Not sure how much rust they have or whatever, but the appear to be in descent condition. Based on limited info and only pics, do those seem like fair prices to you?
    Is the forum you're a member of called 'jeep forum?' Thanks for the reply Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    First question to be asked here is are you wanting a trailer rig? Or does it need to be street legal?

If you are going to try and keep it street legal, you are going to spend a bundle of money for something that is honestly only so so offroad. You would be money ahead to invest in a trailer. And build/buy a dedicated offroad rig.
    It reminds me of buying a trailer, I'd love to have ONE trailer to haul atvs (Ranger & 6x6) & sno-go's, but I don't need a 2,000lbs sno-go trailer and I don't want to drive a Ranger three feet up onto an over-the-tire sno-go trailer. In the end---I have two trailers!! Lame anecdote I guess, but the short answer is, I want to off road the jeep. It's going to get banged, dented, scraped and blemished. Plus, I DO have a 2014 18' car hauler with brakes on one axle & 7k axle rating.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Me too. Not sure how much rust they have or whatever, but the appear to be in descent condition. Based on limited info and only pics, do those seem like fair prices to you?
    Is the forum you're a member of called 'jeep forum?' Thanks for the reply Ron.
    http://www.jeepforum.com/

I'm grasslakeron there as well. Those rigs look great. I would look long and hard at the frames. A new frame out of Montana is 2k. A new tub can run 5k. The carbs in the 80's normally were junk. Remember jeeps are the ultimate accessory vehicle. Pick your price, pick your trail......I run 31's, but don't ford deep rivers. A newer tj or lj has fuel injection which is nice on a climb.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    That Chevy looks nice.

Edwin Hubble

For off-road and hunting those locations go big. Big gears 4:56 and big tires. 37" minimum. 44's if you can lift it enough. I've been running keeps for a long time. Very capable hunting rigs. As for jeep info check out Jeep'n Alaska, AlaskaJK and extreme off-road on Facebook. Lots of info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Check out alaska4x4network as well. Lots of good info and builds that are 100% for alaska

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the recommendations. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks again for all the links/recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post

This is what I was getting at when I asked about a trailer rig vs street legal. Not that you will be driving a cheap beater. But a rig that will actually go somewhere offroad in Alaska will not be street legal.