Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Son got his Moose!

  1. #1
    Member 7mmstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    83

    Default Son got his Moose!

    Took a day off work and school to get my teenager out in the hunting woods again. We had a short weekend camping on the Denali Hwy. last week, that was similar to most folks trips. Not enough time to really get into the bush, away from the vehicles and activity.
    A lot of time glassing the big areas, we hiked off the road some, "one hill away" from the road. Alas, no Caribou.
    My boy has been hunting most years since he was able to keep up on the trails, passed hunter ed. and been a licensed hunter since 9 yrs old. Unfortunately that was the last time he notched his tag also. Usually a lack of concentration, bad weather or short schedule would thwart the best efforts a kid can make.
    That finally changed yesterday. Mom was driving us out for a 3 day weekend to fill a antlerless tag, along the road I spotted Ms. Bullwinkle about 300yds away and he and I pile out. We lost sight while putting on boots and getting rifles, so we started an intercept course through some trees. He spotted the Moose first and it was not hanging around to see what we wanted. Played cat and mouse for a minute or so trying to get a clear shot. Finally about 200yds + it stopped broadside, he threw a shot out from the open sighted 375H&H (his choice) and the rocks behind it blew up. The moose looked over and paused just long enough for him to get a solid double lung shot. Once again the chase was on, we weren't 100% sure where the shot went, so he continued to throw lead. We pursued that big swampdonkey about half a mile through knee-high water, he put three good hits on it, and, of course it fell into a bit of a puddle! The liver was split nearly in half, and the coup de gras, a spine shot at about 150yds. Labor intensive butchering and pack-out, but well worth it.
    He was beside himself, nearly in tears of joy at the end of a loong 5 year drought in big game success.
    We are just getting the game bags out and into the kitchen this evening, about 400lbs boned out prime Moose venison!

    P.S. He used some handloads with 300gr Partitions. Great bullets, three recovered, 2 @ 270-275gr - that's 90% plus weight retention, 1 @ 250gr -83%: expansion to .725-.741 diameter.

  2. #2
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmstalker View Post
    Took a day off work and school to get my teenager out in the hunting woods again. We had a short weekend camping on the Denali Hwy. last week, that was similar to most folks trips. Not enough time to really get into the bush, away from the vehicles and activity.
    A lot of time glassing the big areas, we hiked off the road some, "one hill away" from the road. Alas, no Caribou.
    My boy has been hunting most years since he was able to keep up on the trails, passed hunter ed. and been a licensed hunter since 9 yrs old. Unfortunately that was the last time he notched his tag also. Usually a lack of concentration, bad weather or short schedule would thwart the best efforts a kid can make.
    That finally changed yesterday. Mom was driving us out for a 3 day weekend to fill a antlerless tag, along the road I spotted Ms. Bullwinkle about 300yds away and he and I pile out. We lost sight while putting on boots and getting rifles, so we started an intercept course through some trees. He spotted the Moose first and it was not hanging around to see what we wanted. Played cat and mouse for a minute or so trying to get a clear shot. Finally about 200yds + it stopped broadside, he threw a shot out from the open sighted 375H&H (his choice) and the rocks behind it blew up. The moose looked over and paused just long enough for him to get a solid double lung shot. Once again the chase was on, we weren't 100% sure where the shot went, so he continued to throw lead. We pursued that big swampdonkey about half a mile through knee-high water, he put three good hits on it, and, of course it fell into a bit of a puddle! The liver was split nearly in half, and the coup de gras, a spine shot at about 150yds. Labor intensive butchering and pack-out, but well worth it.
    He was beside himself, nearly in tears of joy at the end of a loong 5 year drought in big game success.
    We are just getting the game bags out and into the kitchen this evening, about 400lbs boned out prime Moose venison!

    P.S. He used some handloads with 300gr Partitions. Great bullets, three recovered, 2 @ 270-275gr - that's 90% plus weight retention, 1 @ 250gr -83%: expansion to .725-.741 diameter.
    Congrats, but no pics?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  3. #3
    Member 7mmstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    83

    Default

    There are some pics in an I-phone that got wet when the rest of me fell into the water!
    Hoping for the miracle of resurrection after a few days of drying out, currently it is dead.

  4. #4
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmstalker View Post
    There are some pics in an I-phone that got wet when the rest of me fell into the water!
    Hoping for the miracle of resurrection after a few days of drying out, currently it is dead.
    Good luck with that. I hate to be a pessimist but, a couple years ago I had an iPhone get water damaged about 10 days into a goat hunt and all my pictures were lost along with the phone. I hope you have better luck than I did.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Didn't I read somewhere about putting it in a bowl of rice to draw out the moisture?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  6. #6
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Didn't I read somewhere about putting it in a bowl of rice to draw out the moisture?
    That might work, but it didn't work for me. The moisture that killed mine was from taking picture of a dead goat in a driving rain/snow storm on Kodiak.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member alaskankid13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    anchorage,ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Vacuum pack that sucker with a some rice, it'll help suck any water out.

  8. #8
    Member Ben XCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Between Anchorage and Homer
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Awesome job and good shooting with those open sights. Keep shootin 'em till they're down. Did you keep the recovered bullets? I'm assuming you did since you have the retained weight. Would love to see pics of those and their performance. Love the PT but my rifles like the Accubonds better and I have yet to recover one.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Congratulations to your son! Also, thanks for sharing the story with us.

    As for the phone, there's a place in the 5th Avenue mall that will attempt to get your phone up and running again. Didn't work with mine after a dip in the Kasilof this year due to the fact that it got plugged in while wet and that fried it, but if it's been powered down ever since getting wet you might have some hope.

  10. #10
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    Congrats on good eating! Try using denatured alcohol- Home Depot or such stores in the paint section, a coworker used it years ago on phone that went the washing machine! It worked after soaking in it! Fast evaporating yet not harsh like laquer thinner.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Nice shooting with open sights at that distance. That is special

  12. #12
    Member 7mmstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    83

    Default

    So much good will on this site!
    Finding slugs under the far side hide was a surprise. The load was under 2600fps, lots of penetration depth, good expansion, and the distance was a bit farther (less velocity)than it seemed in the heat of the moment. We measured the distances on one of the packing trips. The one that lost the front core took out a ~5 inch piece of rib bone, after expanding through the lungs. Seems fair to include the lead button in retained weight (250gr.) it was right next to the shank piece of slug under the skin.
    Attachment 90278Attachment 90279
    Thanks a bunch for the tips on phone miracles, I used a cheap flip-phone for years, it went thru the laundry twice and came back to life both times! This smart phone is probably more sensitive, but I am going to try some of these suggestions and hope.

  13. #13
    Member 7mmstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    83

    Default

    It is hard not to brag about his shooting skills.
    Son was the agreed first shooter, so I reluctantly agreed to let him choose the rifle I wanted! Scope use is still a relatively new thing for him. Most of the shooting he has done 'til about last year was with open buckhorn or peep sght. The young man has great natural steady hands and gets a lot of practice. We are at the range almost every week, unless fishing or hunting,or scouting.

  14. #14
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmstalker View Post
    It is hard not to brag about his shooting skills.
    Worth bragging about for sure...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  15. #15
    Member Ben XCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Between Anchorage and Homer
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmstalker View Post
    So much good will on this site!
    Finding slugs under the far side hide was a surprise. The load was under 2600fps, lots of penetration depth, good expansion, and the distance was a bit farther (less velocity)than it seemed in the heat of the moment. We measured the distances on one of the packing trips. The one that lost the front core took out a ~5 inch piece of rib bone, after expanding through the lungs. Seems fair to include the lead button in retained weight (250gr.) it was right next to the shank piece of slug under the skin.
    Attachment 90278Attachment 90279
    Thanks a bunch for the tips on phone miracles, I used a cheap flip-phone for years, it went thru the laundry twice and came back to life both times! This smart phone is probably more sensitive, but I am going to try some of these suggestions and hope.
    Yup, looks like typical/perfect PT performance right there.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I would skip putting it in with rice - rice sheds dust and that dust adheres to the wet parts of your phone. It may work but it may also cause further damage. What I do with wet electronics is put them away for a week or 10 days and really let them dry out, and don't even try to power them on until they've been off for a lot longer than I think it will take to get dry.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

  17. #17

    Default

    Having sacrificed a few too many phones to the hunting and river gods, LifeProof cases are now a must for me. Awesome story, and congrats on your boy's moose!

  18. #18
    Member 7mmstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Took the phone to an electronics shop that is experienced. There is hope, possibly data recovery only, the few pics of the kiddo and his first moose will be worth it. Stopped in to the phone store also, LifeProof is highly recommended for the outdoor oriented users.

  19. #19

    Default

    My wife and I love our LifeProof cases. This year already my phone in it has fallen in two rivers, a couple streams, more rain than I can imagine, and a lot of ice fishing this winter. I noticed a break in a part of the case a couple weeks ago, called up their customer service and ten minutes later they had a replacement on its way next day delivery. Solid company with a great product. Now i don't have to worry about if my phone's in a zip lock or not taking pictures. It's great!

  20. #20
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Mine was in a LifeProof case when it got ruined dipnetting this year. The case developed a small crack that I never noticed. The warranty had expired as the case was about 18-20 months old. I'll still buy another one, but keep an eye on your case as it gets older - they eventually start to wear (as does everything).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •