Thread: This ain't yer ol' yeller fishin' pole...

Aberdeen WA

Default This ain't yer ol' yeller fishin' pole...

Wright and McGill has sure come a long ways since the days of the old classic yellow glass sticks. With its recent makeover, the release of this new generation of bonafide salmon/steelhead rods represents the finest in fishing tools.

Got a chance to put my hands on their magnum plug stick, designed to compete head to head against the venerable 10'6" Loomis SAR 1265, of which I have been a loyally devoted fan. Never thought I would ever say this but in my opinion the new W&M rod is head and shoulders above the Loomis. The king of Kenai backtrolling rods has just been de-throned!

The W&M retains the soft tip of the 1265 that is so important for for allowing those K-16's to dance while letting the angler know just what the plug is doing at any moment.

But the newer rod carries a little more meat mid-shaft and down into the butt. The Kevlar in the butt has a lot to do with it. Nothing worse than a rod that runsd out of butt when fighting a really big fish.

The grips are absolutely the cat's meow. Comfortable and ergonomic foregrip with a triangular cross-section that does not allow the rod to torque in the anglers grasp. The "palm-swell" in the rear grip is also ergonomically designed, giving the angler more meat to hang onto. The butt end is finished with a bulbous durable cork-composite... ideal for maximizing comfort when latched to a giant fish with the rod butt seated tight against the anglers lower abdomen or groin.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Default thanks

I wondered about that rod. I thought it was kind of heavy in my hand, but hey, it ain't supposed to be a free drifting rod. It certainly seemed to have the power in the lower end of the rod that's often missing in other moderate action rods. Thanks for giving us a report, Doc!