Thread: 45-70 bfr

Default 45-70 bfr

I sold my last motorcycle last year and put the money in a sock just incase I couldn't live without it and had to get another one. I'm over it now and since I still got money in a sock....................I have pondered about the BFR 45-70 5 shooter for a long time. Last night I discovered 250 shiny new 45-70 brass and 500 325 grain hard cast gas checked bullets in the bottom of a tub. I don't have any 45-70 rifles anymore, couldn't use them here if I did. However in a handgun it is legal for deer. A 325 grain bullet plodding along at 1200 feet per second...or even 1000 will tip over any deer out to 50 yards which is about as fer as I can see them in my hunting patch anyhoo.

I am intrigued as heck and have been for a long while. Any experience with this rascal that anyone wants to share? BFRshooter are you still out there?

Another thing, I like to watch the homicide show 48 Hours and have always thought that if I happened across a dead gang banger I might toss a couple of empty 45-70 brass(not from my gun) out the window just to get them excited down at headquarters. Now I really wouldn't do that cuz I would want the bad guy to get caught but it would be funny if some one did. Kinda?

Have not shot the BFR but have shot the American Derringer and a T/C in 45-70. You will need wrist work again if you shoot the little gun, the T/C not near as bad but I didn't buy it. The BFR weights more and the new ones have a nicer grip, Hoque. Many don't like the looks of the BFR's new hammer but if it falls who cares. I will say in the Contender I fired my handload pushing a 350gr Hornady rn at 1,870 fps. The load you are talking about can be had in 44mag or 45colt but in 45-70 shout be a hoot to shoot. Just think of the fear factor on friends faces when you pull it out.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A bud has one, but I've never shot it. Here's what I recall of his account:

He wasn't all that thrilled with accuracy with high power loads- never could decide if it was a gun problem or a shooter problem, though he said he never shot it enough with the heavies to decide. Just not that much fun with hot loads.

He did have great luck with it in the load range you're contemplating. Accurate and easy to shoot.

He doesn't shoot it much now, however. Just waaaaay too much gun to lug for the same ballistics he can also achieve in a number of his other guns. He's a dedicated (and good!) handgun shooter and hunter, but his 45-70 has turned into a range gun for entertainment of witnesses rather than a hunting gun.

His gun, his review. I was never entertained enough at the range to try shooting it myself.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    A bud has one, but I've never shot it. Here's what I recall of his account:

He wasn't all that thrilled with accuracy with high power loads- never could decide if it was a gun problem or a shooter problem, though he said he never shot it enough with the heavies to decide. Just not that much fun with hot loads.

He did have great luck with it in the load range you're contemplating. Accurate and easy to shoot.

He doesn't shoot it much now, however. Just waaaaay too much gun to lug for the same ballistics he can also achieve in a number of his other guns. He's a dedicated (and good!) handgun shooter and hunter, but his 45-70 has turned into a range gun for entertainment of witnesses rather than a hunting gun.

His gun, his review. I was never entertained enough at the range to try shooting it myself.
    That's kind of what I thought. My 4&3/8 BlackHawk and 4 inch Redhawk have all the power I will ever need. Never lost a deer shot with a 44. I am still intrigued with the BFR as they are very well made. However for close to a grand to get one I can't justify that much money on a novelty. If I load it down to mimic my 44s I'm peeing into the wind. Most guns I buy out of curiosity are in the low end of their price range when they come my way and I can often get my money out of them from the impulse crowd that walks into the shop. I really doubt that I could pull that off with a BFR...might sit on it a long while.

Isn't it a bugger when common sense overwhelms the impulse for fun? No such brakes on my fun meter in my youth, but it's happening more and more often since my hairline fell back behind my ears.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Remember the BFR is built from Ruger parts. Even the big frames are made by Ruger,BFR is Big Friggen Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Remember the BFR is built from Ruger parts. Even the big frames are made by Ruger,BFR is Big Friggen Ruger.
    I did NOT know that! That explains their quality but makes the big sticker price a little hard to take. I think I am going to take your advice Will and get one of the CVA Scouts if I can find one. I can't recall with out going back a ways taking more than one shot with a handgun. That's not because I am a dead eye either. In my maturing years I usually wait till I could almost jump out of the tree and land on the deer before the hammer falls.

About 10 years ago I had watch three huge does come out of a timber and cross an open pasture to a fence line. They walked straight north up the fence line a quarter mile and then went west into a corn field to feed. I waited until we had a strong wind out of the south and planted myself in the middle of that brushy fence line. Once there I got to thinking this wasn't one of my best laid plans because I wasn't going to be able to see anything until they were right on top of me. The biggest tree in the fence line was a Hawthorn tree full of those 2 inch stiff needles that are wicked. I stood behind that tree which was almost wide enough to conceal me. The tree had a crotch at 4 feet that branched out in half a dozen different directions. A couple of feet above the crotch the tree got so wooly that climbing it was out. So I stood and peered through the crotch. A half hour before dusk I saw movement coming so I laid both arms over the crotch and had a very solid rest. The deer was a short 25ft away before I could make out a big does head but it was moving. It was about 0 degrees out and I was trying to control my breathing for fear she would see my breath. She walked behind a small Pin Oak tree which don't loose their leaves until spring and stopped. I kept thinking the wind has to swirl in this thicket at least a little and she is going to smell my stinky self any second and this is going to be a done deal. She walked by one pin oak and then the next and the whole time all I can see are her legs. I was aiming my Blackhawk where her head should be if it ever came into view. My hammer had been back for quite a while by now with my bare finger outside the trigger guard and it was getting mighty cold poking through the hole in my mitten. She took one more step forward and her head came into plain view as I was putting pressure on the trigger she turned and looked straight at me and the hammer fell. You have to be a pretty good shot to shoot a deer between the eyes.....unless they are 6 feet from the end of the barrel. Though that deer had no horns it still was one my most remembered hunts. I beat my quarry on it's terms and that is what hunting is for me. It was so thick in that fence line that I had to drag the deer 20 yards through the thorns out into the opening. I am glad that I had on lots of layers because the first layer of camo Carharts was riddled. The farmer saw me in the open field and came to chew me out but when he saw who it was he went and got his tractor. He got the loins for his efforts......and I was hooked on hunting close and personal with a handgun.

I can remember Mr Gilbreath saying man you have got to have a brain worm to hunt when the wind chill is -30 and he may be right but that can only mean that you all got brain worms up in the Great Land! Ha!

That's real hunting in my book. Good on ya! Seems like the harder you work for the animal, the better the trophy. Big racks and wall mounts not required.
    Merle Haggard

Snoopen and watching is way of hunting. Its what grandpa taught me and reinforced by my time in Viet Nam with First Force Recon co. I have got lucky at time just stumbling around also

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    True but better fit with a better barrel. The barrel length needs a powder that works and 4759 is the best. Darn thing has shot 1" targets at 100 yards. Recoil is less then a heavy .44 mag load. I will never part with mine. I have shot a 5 shot group of 2-1/2" at 500 yards from Creedmore. The powder is a problem, they quit making it. I have tried all other powders to no avail.
    The Ruger platform is still the best.
    I have 3 BFR's you can't fool with. .475 and Custom shop .500 JRH. I shot the JRH from bags at 100 yards with 4 shots left. I aimed low for two and then right for the last. BFR and Traditions.jpg The BP pistol can't be done. I tried the RB and the .500 JRH boolit. It is 1 in 20"

I've never shot a BFR but, a close friend had a Contender in 45/70 and in my opinion the recoil wasn't all that bad with factory ammo?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."