Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Light weight rifles?

Default Ultra Light weight rifles?

3 Bears in Kenai has a couple of ultra light weight rifles chambered in .308 Win. and 6.5 Creedmor. The .308 has a 22" barrel on it which is a good choice for that round and it has a detachable muzzle brake. The 6.5 Creedmor has an 18" barrel which seems to short to me and I believe it to should have a 22" or at least a 20" barrel.

I think they are pretty slick rifles and like the Creedmor but the barrel length just seems wrong. Any of you have any experience with this round? I see guys at the range busting steel with that round at pretty impressive distances and all have longer barrels.

Is this the preferred long distance paper puncher cartridge now?

It's the hot ticket at Brownell's Big Creek Range here in the midwest.

I am a fan of short barrels for short range hunting. 7mm-08 on up to 358 Winchester loose little in a 20 inch barrel. If you look at the numbers real hard you see that the 6.5 Creedmore is only a bubble fart different than the 260 Remington but was "built from the ground up"(the big advertising slogan that comes with the Creedmore). I shoot coyotes with a 20" 243 and know that I am giving up about 150 ftps compared to a 24 inch barrel. Most of them are inside of 200 yards but I feel confident out to 300. In my feeble mind if I were going to be shooting a Creedmore for target shooting at long ranges I would be thinking a medium to slow burning powder and nothing shorter than 22 inches. I might live with 20 but 18..... probably not unless I held the gun and it balanced perfectly and gave me those warm fuzzies that are known to thin my wallet then all bets would be off.

You are going to loose some feet per second but short barrels have less harmonics going on and I have always found them to be more accurate. You could shoot a little bit lighter bullet in the 18 inch barrel and get the velocity back but lighter bullets mean lower ballistic coefficient but then BC means zip in accuracy.

What brand........??? I am guessing KIMBER........??? Is the 18" a KIMBER Adirondack........??? I am shopping for a KIMBER Adirondack chambered in .308 Winchester cartridge. I am also exploring a group buy of the Adirondack in 7mm-08 (Hopefully in the $1,100.00 slightly plus range)

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    3 Bears in Kenai has a couple of ultra light weight rifles chambered in .308 Win. and 6.5 Creedmor. The .308 has a 22" barrel on it which is a good choice for that round and it has a detachable muzzle brake. The 6.5 Creedmor has an 18" barrel which seems to short to me and I believe it to should have a 22" or at least a 20" barrel.

I think they are pretty slick rifles and like the Creedmor but the barrel length just seems wrong. Any of you have any experience with this round? I see guys at the range busting steel with that round at pretty impressive distances and all have longer barrels.

Is this the preferred long distance paper puncher cartridge now?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ...the 6.5 Creedmore is only a bubble fart different than the 260 Remington....
    That's always been my reaction. You might get in my pocket for an ultralight 260 that short, but if I was going to the bigger case I'd want a 22" barrel to take better advantage of slower powders in the Creedmore. What does an extra 4" of utralight barrel add to the weight of a rifle anyway? In truth I'd prefer a 22" with the 260, too.

Along those lines, the 257 Roberts 3-inch that RCBS built for me back in the 1970's arrived with a 26" barrel, a nod on their part to stretch the velocity along with the extra powder capacity. While it shot like a house afire in both accuracy and velocity, compared to factory ballistics of a Roberts, it was more like carrying a big magnum rifle all the time. I used heck out of it, but always grumbled a bit. About 20 years ago I had the barrel clipped to 22" along with replacing the wood (still have that in a closet) with a McMillan composite and a new finish. Yeah, I lost a few fps with the clip, but it sure turned that rifle into a HUNTING gun.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

As with everything in the ultralight hunting craze, there are alot of people and mfg's taking things to the extreme. I know Stid just picked one up in the creedmore round and seems to really like it, but for me it is a little too short. I am sure it would be fine for closer shots. I just had a rifle built in .280 Ackley with a 22" #2 contour barrel and that thing is a tack driver and very fast. It is very well balanced and the rifle and scope combo weigh 6lb 12oz. It is a dream to carry compared to my old "sheep" rifle at just over 8 lbs...
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I own a 6.5mm Kimber Adirondack, added a screw on brake, Kimber don't make a break for it, they told me use the one for the 7mm-08. I have only done the normal tweaks that I always do, polishing, adjusting, and breaking in. Mine is sub MOA, with several factory loads, but I hand load 130 grain Accubonds over Reloader 15. The energy gets low past 500 yards so for killing I limit myself to that, but mine is plenty accurate out to a full turn on my Z-5 Sheep Hunter BT, which is 625 or so I believe.

My friend has a 308 Kimber custom that is very similar to mine,, I will just say that the Ram and big Grizzly we just brought home played nice after meeting the both of them.

Kimber is marketing these as (brush rifles) for thick deer country, but they are nice little cary rifles. I bought mine, because I like loading for new calibers and my wife just loves it. Will make a great rifle for her.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very nice Steve! Definitely an intriguing little rifle. I still think they would have been better to put at least a 2" longer barrel on it and not sacrificed much of anything, but good to know that it is shooting so well for you!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Very nice Steve! Definitely an intriguing little rifle. I still think they would have been better to put at least a 2" longer barrel on it and not sacrificed much of anything, but good to know that it is shooting so well for you!
    Only negative I have seen with the short tube, is you run out of barrel to burn powder,, mine clocks in about 150fps slower than published data. I saw no reduction in accuracy.
    Founding Member

My only reason for wanting the Adirondack in .308 Winchester over the other cartridge offerings, is that I inventory a lot of .308 Win and 7.62X51 ammo. I can get the 7mm-08 for $200.00 less.

I run a Remington model 7 in 308. Put a HS Precision stock on it. 2lb trigger. With 180 gr partitions it will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards. You can buy one on sale new for 650 on gunbroker. Pretty hard to beat for the price. I keep looking at those mtn ascents from kimber but it's hard to justify that price over the Remington in my book, I really want one but just can't bring myself to spend that much. Leaning towards a model 7 in 300 wsm for a little extra speed.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    My only reason for wanting the Adirondack in .308 Winchester over the other cartridge offerings, is that I inventory a lot of .308 Win and 7.62X51 ammo. I can get the 7mm-08 for $200.00 less.
    Yea I too am looking at another mountain lite kind of rifle. I located a used Ruger in .358 Winchester (as elmerkeithclone) mentioned but like you AGL4now, I went to all the ammo stores here in Juneau and only located two boxes of .358 Winchester, by far .308 is way more common and has tons of offerings. I am seeing a lot more 2.6 creedmore for sale though and the .300 blackout.

I have been looking at the Kimber Adirondak and Mountain Ascent rifles. As far as I can tell the main difference is the barrel length. I have really embraced the shorter barrel rifles though and I own Ruger Frontiers and the Compact Laminate rifles. Man are they awesome to carry. But they are 2+lbs more than the Kimbers.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Yea I too am looking at another mountain lite kind of rifle. I located a used Ruger in .358 Winchester (as elmerkeithclone) mentioned but like you AGL4now, I went to all the ammo stores here in Juneau and only located two boxes of .358 Winchester, by far .308 is way more common and has tons of offerings. I am seeing a lot more 2.6 creedmore for sale though and the .300 blackout.

I have been looking at the Kimber Adirondak and Mountain Ascent rifles. As far as I can tell the main difference is the barrel length. I have really embraced the shorter barrel rifles though and I own Ruger Frontiers and the Compact Laminate rifles. Man are they awesome to carry. But they are 2+lbs more than the Kimbers.

Sobie2
    The Adirondack is smaller in many ways,, I have both.

Founding Member

I can attest to the truth of your accuracy claim. My friend has an early Rem. Model Seven, they made a very few with Kevlar Stocks, with a Leupold 1.5-5X and FEDERAL Gold 168 gr. Match King factory ammo, he consistently gets 3 shot groups of 3/8 to 5/8 and 5 shot groups of 1/2 to 3/4 at 100 yards. What is real freaky.......is that anyone can do it with his rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    I run a Remington model 7 in 308. Put a HS Precision stock on it. 2lb trigger. With 180 gr partitions it will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards. You can buy one on sale new for 650 on gunbroker. Pretty hard to beat for the price. I keep looking at those mtn ascents from kimber but it's hard to justify that price over the Remington in my book, I really want one but just can't bring myself to spend that much. Leaning towards a model 7 in 300 wsm for a little extra speed.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

What do you like about each? How does one differentiate between the other for intended uses?

Sobie2

I will just say that the Ram and big Grizzly we just brought home played nice after meeting the both of them.
    Is there a possible story in the works Steve? You know how we all love your stories...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Not much to contribute to this particular conversation, but MAN is this a cool picture! Did you hydro-dip to get the Kuiu pattern?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Right. 18" is way too short for the creedmore.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    What do you like about each? How does one differentiate between the other for intended uses?

Sobie2
    I'm a 3 position safety, control round feed kinda guy, so those preferences limit me to choices, and since the lightest rifle are mostly built on the Remington, push to feed (ring of fire) actions, Kimber and Winchester Featherweights, are a couple logical choices for me.

As I get older, I have become better at shooting, and not as good at walking,, so lighter is sometimes better. If I can kill as effectively with my 7 lb rifle after a long walk, as I can my 9 pounder, than I would rather have the 7 pounder,, now, add a walk through some thick brush and now even a lighter rifle with a shorter barrel that don't snag on everything is nice to have.

Now add that my old eyes don't work as good as they used to, so having a lighter rifle. gives me some room for extra glass.

About any ole powder shooter will bring home meat,, just pick one you like to have around and go for it. I have always like petite ladies and rifles,,, just how I roll......But I have been known to go heavy when needed.

Steve
    Founding Member

As I get older, I have become better at shooting, and not as good at walking,, so lighter is sometimes better. If I can kill as effectively with my 7 lb rifle after a long walk, as I can my 9 pounder, than I would rather have the 7 pounder,, now, add a walk through some thick brush and now even a lighter rifle with a shorter barrel that don't snag on everything is nice to have.
    That has a familiar ring to it!

In recent years I've mostly been leaving my modern rifles in the safes and hunting with traditional sidelock muzzleloaders. My favorite for aesthetics and accuracy is a faithful recreation of an original Hawken. All 12.5# of it with it's 36" 58 caliber barrel. Shoots like a house afire and sweet eye candy. But much as I love the gem, it doesn't get to hunt very often. My faithful hunting rifle is also a 58 caliber, but tipping the scale at 8# with it's 24" barrel. A real lightweight, it is!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Is there a possible story in the works Steve? You know how we all love your stories...!!!
    My story, would be about berry picking,, which was very good by the way.. , Spent some time with a young man, I learned a few things. His story to tell if he so chooses.
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast