Thread: Moose locking tag

Default Moose locking tag

I drew an any bull moose tag this year for 20A (DM770), I received my paper tag, but F&G says they're going to mail out a metal locking tag so other hunters can ID I have the any bull tag and not call the troopers on me for having a less than 50 inch bull. It's pretty close to go time and I still haven't received the locking tag. Has anybody else who's drawn these tags received theirs yet?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Duckslayer,

I have the DM770 tag also and have received both the paper tag and harvest tag, it's actually been a few weeks since I received the locking tag.

thanks, I'll have to call F&G and find out what's up with mine.

You should definitely call them. I have the same tag & the post mark on the envelope my locking tag was in says 7/21/16 & it came from the Fairbanks office.

Talked to the F&G, they said it sounds like it was lost and I can just pick one up in one of the offices.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I drew an any bull moose tag this year for 20A (DM770), I received my paper tag, but F&G says they're going to mail out a metal locking tag so other hunters can ID I have the any bull tag and not call the troopers on me for having a less than 50 inch bull. It's pretty close to go time and I still haven't received the locking tag. Has anybody else who's drawn these tags received theirs yet?
    So sad we have to have a locking tag. So others busy bodies, with nothing else to do but get in other hunters business. Once again a regulation that was passed by the "perception" that others are doing wrong. there was no evidence this was happening, but nosy hunter "believed" it was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by isnarewolves View Post
    So sad we have to have a locking tag. So others busy bodies, with nothing else to do but get in other hunters business. .
    The fact is that there are plenty "hunters" out there that are more than willing to break the law. I see nothing wrong with the locking tag to avoid any potential confusion by actual good hunters that just want to do the right thing.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The fact is that there are plenty "hunters" out there that are more than willing to break the law. I see nothing wrong with the locking tag to avoid any potential confusion by actual good hunters that just want to do the right thing.....
    +1

I'm tired of the poachers out there shooting sub legal moose and leaving them to rot once they realize what they shot was not 50".
    This helps me as I would certainly turn in a poacher!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    "POTENIAL" Again with little to no evidence were hunters taking sublegal moose. It was all here say by hunters "feeling" that hunters were taking moose they should not have. The vast majority of hunters are good, now good hunters are burdened to show everyone else they are good. the bad apples will still do what they do. All they need to do is buy a red locking tag from any of the many companies that sell plastic locking tags. There is nothing unique about the locking tag ADF&G issues. That anyone can purchase online.

"POTENIAL" Again with little to no evidence were hunters taking sublegal moose. It was all here say by hunters "feeling" that hunters were taking moose they should not have. The vast majority of hunters are good, now good hunters are burdened to show everyone else they are good. the bad apples will still do what they do. All they need to do is buy a red locking tag from any of the many companies that sell plastic locking tags. There is nothing unique about the locking tag ADF&G issues. That anyone can purchase online.
    There's plenty of evidence of people shooting sub legal moose.
    Several forum members have reported finding dead sub legal moose over the years.
    And there's always the police reports of those who got caught.
    It seems to be more common the last few years from reports on sites like this one and reading the newspaper.
    Are you actually insinuating that such things never occur or that it is a very rare event?
    Anybody going so far as packing along a fake locking tag is a serious poacher. And that's premeditated.
    But he isn't going to fool a trooper.
    There's a lot of dishonest people out there.
    Just because your a trustworthy person doesn't mean everyone else is.
    I'm not saying its a large number of moose but every hunting zone with antler restrictions seems to find a few that get shot.
    I doubt this locking tag is a hindrance for anybody to apply or pack along on their hunts. I'm done looking the other way on fish and game violations.
    And I will be questioning anyone who I think is legitimately in the wrong.
    I used to think I didn't want to get involved or start something. But it's getting to be all to common especially with fishing.
    Seeing this tag on the horns let's me know they are legit without having to even ask them anything.

Let me ask you something.... If your "busy body" neighbors happen to notice some guys leaving your house with arms full of guns when you are supposed to be at work, would you want them to call you, or the cops, or just look the other way and do nothing? Again, there is no actual evidence that a crime is being committed, they could be your friends and you could have told them to come get the guns. But the potential of a crime being committed sure is there. Personally I think I'd want my "busy body" neighbors to do something....

Another scenario.... 5 minutes ago you had your scope on what you feel is a 45" moose. You had him dead to rights but you know he's too small so he finally wanders off and you head on your way. Now you hear BANG from the direction the moose went. You just gonna walk off or see if somebody killed a bull you just let walk? I know what I would do, but then I guess that means you'll call me a "busy body" too? Oh well, I can live with that if it means there is the "potential" of catching a poacher in the act. If all is well then I'll just congratulate the guy and maybe give him a hand doing it up....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

you all have good comments and justified. But if you followed the proposal that asked the BOG to require locking tags for "any bull permits" in 20A. ADF&G and the troopers had no data on illegal take. Troopers had many reports from hunters, that someone had taken a sub-legal moose. All the reports that were investigated were found to be legal harvests, because those hunters had received any "bull tags" though the drawing. This is far different than hunting in an area that has antler restriction only. It won't be long before we will have locking tags for all big game. ( more cost to the department and hunters) By all means if you see an illegal action in the field report it. But don't assume that an undersized moose being transport out of the field or taken is illegal. Many hunters who have taken a sub-legal moose after the fact, salvage and surrender.( required by regulation) There are many moose for exsample taken for potlatch, religious ceremonies, educational and cultural purposes not of which require a locking tag or have antler or sex requirements. Many of these permitted hunts don't even have any paper work you have to care around to show you are legal.

you all have good comments and justified. But if you followed the proposal that asked the BOG to require locking tags for "any bull permits" in 20A. ADF&G and the troopers had no data on illegal take. Troopers had many reports from hunters, that someone had taken a sub-legal moose. All the reports that were investigated were found to be legal harvests, because those hunters had received any "bull tags" though the drawing. This is far different than hunting in an area that has antler restriction only. It won't be long before we will have locking tags for all big game. ( more cost to the department and hunters) By all means if you see an illegal action in the field report it. But don't assume that an undersized moose being transport out of the field or taken is illegal. Many hunters who have taken a sub-legal moose after the fact, salvage and surrender.( required by regulation) There are many moose for exsample taken for potlatch, religious ceremonies, educational and cultural purposes not of which require a locking tag or have antler or sex requirements. Many of these permitted hunts don't even have any paper work you have to care around to show you are legal.
    I don't care what the reason for your moose harvest if I suspect it is illegal I will report it.
    If it turns out to be legal I'll still feel good knowing had it not been the poacher would have been caught.
    I will always assume sublegal bulls being shot are illegal. Until the hunter or the troopers prove otherwise.
    That's whats nice about the locking tags. When I see one I know not to bother asking because the locking tag shows they had an any bull tag.
    How much did it cost the state to investigate the reported sublegal bulls?
    How much would have been saved if the reporting party had seen a locking tag on the horns and known they did not need to report it as it was a legal bull so no investigation needed?
    Since a fake tag would not pass troopers muster I doubt anyone is going to order carry and use a fake tag on a sublegal bull.
    Sure it's possible I suppose but that's pretty bold. My guess they would just shoot it and hope they do not get caught.
    If they do not already do so changing colors every year would also greatly help in that regard.
    I know our licenses change color each year to make the troopers job that much easier.