Thread: Hunting with a dog in heat.... Thoughts?

Default Hunting with a dog in heat.... Thoughts?

Had planned a fly out alpine hunt w Rover. I had been meaning to get her spayed but relatives visits got in the way the last few weeks and it didn't happen. Hunt date is now a week away and I think she's showing possible in heat signs. I really would like her along but am contemplating the possible problems that could arise. The 'wolves at the door' sort of thing. ( which may or may not be a bad thing.). It would be a 5 day hunt which is about the same amount of time I think I could get out of her e-collar.
    Any thoughts or experiences?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Is it a bird hunt? Don't see any necessary reason to bring a dog along on a big game hunt. It would be simpler to leave her home this time

It's a caribou hunt with black bear/sheep tags in pocket. Ptarmigan certainly around.
    Neccesary?? No, but love to be w my dog every hunt. She didn't need to be w me on spot and stalk successful blackie hunt last fall. Nor the 'call in the wolf predator hunt that we got a wolf at forty yards hunt.
    Am looking at giving her more experience with me and do some bird work there too. So looking for experiences from those that have done such a thing.

I would bring her. Unless there is an intact male along, the only issue is a little blood on your sleeping bag. Who knows, if the caribou is badly shot, she may just help you track it down. :-)

If your alone, no other dogs, only *****es, not an issue. We always crate train our labs so the issue of dripping in the tents doesn't occur. We've hunted *****es in season many times. It can ruin someone else's hunt if they bring a dog though. Their dogs usually will not hunt, not a great way to make friends.

Excellent fellas. Was hoping to get those sentiments. No other dogs out there but it WOULD be possible that some other folks flying into the same area MIGHT have a dog. I have excellent control on my pooch but can't say 'they' would.
    I personally couldn't see any potential big problem but wanted input in case I was overlooking something. If anyone else can think of a problem, please post and inform me. Thanks!

If she does hook up by accident, you're planning on spaying her anyway. If an accidental breeding occurs, as soon as you get back, get her spayed within 30 days and it's no big deal. Within 2 weeks even better.

If any intact male dogs around, even if they don't get to her, they may fight each other. Best to keep intact males separated.

Otherwise you'll be fine. Dogs are in heat working on sled dog teams, out in the middle of nowhere, all the time. Have fun.
    Fly fishing makes me herl