Thread: Possible jobs

Default Possible jobs

So I've been afk for awhile, doing some healing, and it has led me to a conclusion. I think I have finally figured out some possible jobs I could do once I get moved to Alaska. I have been working on ebay and amazon selling things, so I was wondering how viable that would be from up there. I know shipping will be a lot more than it would down here, however I think I am prepared for that. How many people up there are into martial arts? I was just wondering how well a class would do up there.

Shipping shouldn't be an issue if you use the USPS flat rate priority mail boxes. If you go via UPS or FedEx (or USPS next-day air), prepare for sticker shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Shipping shouldn't be an issue if you use the USPS flat rate priority mail boxes. If you go via UPS or FedEx (or USPS next-day air), prepare for sticker shock.
    Thanks, that will provide me some income when I get up there. That's one step in the right direction, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    How many people up there are into martial arts? I was just wondering how well a class would do up there.
    Quite a few. There is BJJ for the MMA crowd, Krav Maga opened up a year or two ago. About every style can be found in Anchorage, but the demand comes and goes. Rent costs more than people are willing to pay. Community rec centers may be needing instructors so that they can offer classes. There are two state wide Karate schools. One of which is discussed in this link:
    http://www.adn.com/sports/2016/07/11...-in-anchorage/

As for selling stuff on line just make the shipping cost clear and you will get bids or you won't. One of my buddies strips down 1960's cars with hard to find parts, builds his cars, then sells the left overs on flee-bay. He ships fenders to the other side of the continent a couple times a year. Shipping can be twice what the part sells for. Don't want to pay then don't bid.

With one or two exceptions, very few people up here earn a complete living from martial arts instruction in Alaska. The prior post mentioned one Sensei and I'm aware of one other that does well and one that is pretty much just scraping by. Wouldn't view that as an income stream except for a very nominal amount offering classes at community centers.
    Back in AK

I've never had a problem selling stuff on ebay. Sometimes I'll put a fixed shipping cost that will be less than the actual shipping cost so that buyers won't be scared off, and some items I know aren't worth my effort to sell due to what I'll finally get out of them after shipping. Use USPS flat rate when it fits, when it doesn't use a scale and the USPS shipping calculator to find out how much the shipping will be. With automated shipping at most USPS locations you don't have to stand in line forever to ship your items.

If you're looking to flip stuff you find at garage sales, it seems up here it's 99% trash for every treasure, and often the treasures are over priced.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

There's an ebay store for sale in Fairbanks. It's posted on Craigslist. May be up your alley..
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74