Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gear Review

Default New Gear Review

Now that I am a resident of the great state of Alaska, I have a goat, alpine deer, and brown bear hunt coming up in a few weeks. I broke down and bought some Kuiu gear with the help of a 20% off code https://share.kuiu.com/x/ZMsxFW .

Also added a Vortex Viper HD 65mm and a pair of Under Armor Browtine 800 gram boots.

For the Kuiu gear I got the Ultra 6000 pack, Teton soft-shell jacket, Teton rain jacket, Chugach NX rain pants, and Alpine pants.

The pack is well made, super light, and full of features. Strapped a rifle to it, loaded my gear and set off. After half a mile I stopped and adjusted the straps and load. I had 40 lbs it and never felt anything dig into me and the load barely moved.

The clothing feels super light weight but very well constructed. I put some things in the pockets of my alpine pants and slipped my rain pants over them. The rain pants have two way zippers making access to your under layer easy put still water proof. It was raining sideways and windy most of the time. Never got wet and felt warm but comfortable.

The boots were a little stiff out the box but broke in easy. Great traction, never slipped. Huge fan of the boots.

The spotting scope, flawless. It's an angled one, looking down was a little tough, but I could see a 2x2 laying down in the valley below.

I have the same pack and and have hauled well over 100# on it. While that's never easy, it does fare better than my big frame pack. One suggestion for your gear - get the Kifaru gun sling - you'll never carry a rifle the same again. Yes, they will fit your pack.

I recently got a total gear package from Kuiu and I am very happy with the products and the customer service was over the top.

I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    I recently got a total gear package from Kuiu and I am very happy with the products and the customer service was over the top.

Here's my opinion on your setup, just my opinion!

The spotter is excellent!

the clothing you've bought is great, but you'll want to add some wool base layers and some sitting still (down/primaloft) layers. Kuiu makes the best wool.

pack is top notch, but you may find it a little on the small side for a 10 day hunt.

Now for the boots, I would highly suggest getting a tougher pair, full leather with a rubber rand. The rocks in sheep/goat country will shred those boots.
    I also suggest getting the Yukon gaiters from kuiu as well. And don't forget high quality wool socks.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Gaiters are on the way. For under layer items, I have a ton of Under Armor. Pretty big fan of UA. As far as the boots, they came highly recommended to me. A buddy of mine does various survey work in the mountains and other pretty harsh environments. Claims they are the best boot he ever owned. So the jury is still out I guess.

I too have a lot of UA gear, but there is no way I would take it on a sheep / goat hunt. Once that stuff gets wet, it's near impossible to dry in the field if it continues to rain. Wool - especially merino - you can sleep it dry in your bag and it will not stink like the UA stuff. As for the boots... I thought a pair of Danners would be sufficient. One sheep hunt later and they are now used to mow the lawn. Investing in top quality footwear for mountain hunting is about the most important item you can buy. You will spend 12-14 hours a day on your feet with (hopefully) 100# on your back. I would bet that survey workers don't carry the loads of mtn. hunters, and I would bet they are not enticed into some of the areas you will be by the lure of a full-curl ram. Interested to see how you like all the gear once you spend 5-10 days in it - especially if you get typical sheep weather (read: rainy, windy, cold, and generally miserable)
    (
    Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    Gaiters are on the way. For under layer items, I have a ton of Under Armor. Pretty big fan of UA. As far as the boots, they came highly recommended to me. A buddy of mine does various survey work in the mountains and other pretty harsh environments. Claims they are the best boot he ever owned. So the jury is still out I guess.

I agree with xcrnr, as a full time guide I am seeing a lot of hunters with Kuiu gear these days. The stuff is hard to dry. IMO it depends on your style hunting.....I haven't found either Sitka, Kuiu, or any of the high dollar stuff to be that tough.....like last a few full seasons, which it should for the price. Good wool is hard to beat in my book, and for boots, try a pair of Limmers you won't be sorry....best boots Ive ever owned. Got 10-years guiding sheep/goat hunters with them and they will last another 10...

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    As for the boots... I thought a pair of Danners would be sufficient. One sheep hunt later and they are now used to mow the lawn.
    That's funny you would say that. A buddy was driving the two of us up for a sheep hunt. I happened to look down at his feet while he was in the drivers seat and said something to the effect "I take it you have another pair of boots in the back?" He almost got offended with me and said "What? these Danners are great boots!" After that we talked a bit as I explained about ankle support and such, but off to the mountains we went, me in my Meindles and he in his Danners. He got his ram first and we were still looking for mine. I caught a quick glimpse of 3 rams headed up and over a ridge and we needed to beat feet after them. Somehow we split up and I got to the area first and quickly took off my pack and was waiting on him.....and waiting, and waiting. Finally here he comes limping over the top. He ended up rolling his ankle REAL bad. We ended up getting my ram too, so it was a slow (baby steps) haul down the mountain. For a couple years after he kept telling me how messed up his ankle still was.

I sure won't go as far as to say a guy can't kill a sheep hunting in regular hunting boots........heck some of us have probably seen the pics of guys in hip waders standing there next to dead rams. But as far as comfort ability side hilling in the rocks and shale it's hard to beat a rigid boot (like you'll break your leg before you roll an ankle type rigid) with a good rubber rand all the way around. That's why so many have gone to plastics only for all types of hunting.

That also reminds me, I almost completely blew some regular type hunting boots right off my feet packing my first ram off the mountain. It was almost like I was wearing moccasins by the time we made it out. Most basic "good" type hunting boots are "alright" till you start putting extreme amounts of weight on them in rocky terrain....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I agree with the boot comments on here. I just got back from my first ram hunt. I'm a huge danner fan but they will not hold up in those mts under those conditions. I'm glad I listened to my guide and got a full leather boot. Guide did ware the kuiu clothes and I wish I had them. The 100% polyester dried fast and it rained everyday. He had one pair of pants for a 10 day hunt and thats all he needed. Don't skimp on the boots

I just got from my Sheep hunt and my boots took a beating! I have some Kennetreks and I don't know how anything of lesser quality could hold up under those conditions. I wore a mix of clothing but the only pants I brought were my Kuiu Attaks and they were awesome!!

I look forward to hearing more about the spotter. I'll be in the market here soon.

I have two Ultra 6000 packs, one has upgraded Pro suspension, great upgrade for the pack and you can find it 20-25% off on sales that KUIU runs.

I cringe a little when I see someone in KUIU head to toe. Sure looks cool, and it's marketed at the latest and greatest, but I've seen their items fail when they shouldn't have. Some of their stuff is pretty good, like their attack pants and some merino stuff, but the rest? For the same money, you can get superior rain gear, gaiters, packs, sleeping bags, and tents from companies who have been making them for decades and figured out all the quarks. You don't need their fancy camo to kill critters up here.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    You don't need their fancy camo to kill critters up here.
    uh oh.... you're venturing into dangerous territory there now bud......lol

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    I cringe a little when I see someone in KUIU head to toe. Sure looks cool, and it's marketed at the latest and greatest, but I've seen their items fail when they shouldn't have. Some of their stuff is pretty good, like their attack pants and some merino stuff, but the rest? For the same money, you can get superior rain gear, gaiters, packs, sleeping bags, and tents from companies who have been making them for decades and figured out all the quarks. You don't need their fancy camo to kill critters up here.
    Could agree more! What I get a chuckle out of is the look hunters will give their guide when he steps off the plane wearing plain jane wool pants and a plaid shirt, rubber boots and whatever else he has found works well! Here they are wearing an outfit that just cost them well over $1000 and the guy that is going to do their hunting for them looks like he bought his outfit at the local thrift store! But it works and will last for many seasons! I just finished a mountain goat hunt and my fellow guide wore nothing but black rubber boots....he is a middle aged native fellow and I can promise you no hunter on earth will keep up to him if he decides to go....I don't care what his boots cost! Famous bowhunter Chuck Adams used to tell everyone camo was a waste of money...until they started sponsoring him.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Could agree more! What I get a chuckle out of is the look hunters will give their guide when he steps off the plane wearing plain jane wool pants and a plaid shirt, rubber boots and whatever else he has found works well! Here they are wearing an outfit that just cost them well over $1000 and the guy that is going to do their hunting for them looks like he bought his outfit at the local thrift store! But it works and will last for many seasons! I just finished a mountain goat hunt and my fellow guide wore nothing but black rubber boots....he is a middle aged native fellow and I can promise you no hunter on earth will keep up to him if he decides to go....I don't care what his boots cost! Famous bowhunter Chuck Adams used to tell everyone camo was a waste of money...until they started sponsoring him.
    Gray fleece is great camo in AK....

I wish I could still get Kuiu rain gear in non-camo colors. My original set was a faded olive green and was excellent. I will disagree on the quality, though. Some of Kuiu's gear is no better than many others and is over-priced, but their Chugach rain gear, super down insulation layers, and attack pants are all excellent deals compared to gear of equal quality. Their tents and sleeping bags, not so much.

Couldn't agree more with some of the above statements. I have trouble swallowing the price tag for most of the name brand gear out there anymore. $500+ just for rain gear that I'm going to where not all that often just doesn't fit the budgy at the moment. I understand that it's probably good stuff, but like others have said many have been doing more with far "less" for decades. I also have trouble with their fit most of the time. It seems that all the manufacturers think that everyone who wants to buy their stuff is 5' 10"+ and "athletically built." Which is not the case as I can attest to. Kuiu's rain gear pants all have a 34" inseam....really? I'm lucky if the 30's aren't a little too long. I think I'll just stick with my $100 Grundens and wool for now.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Well....never having kids and working really hard allows me to buy nice things. =) And I tell ya what. I have owned all sorts of rain gear/outdoor clothes and this stuff is amazing. The fine attention to detail and customer service makes it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    .............and for boots, try a pair of Limmers you won't be sorry....best boots Ive ever owned. Got 10-years guiding sheep/goat hunters with them and they will last another 10...
    My old man killed 2 sheep wearing skin and felt mukluks and 1 more wearing hip boots...but that was in the '40's and 50's and way up north.

I would offer the same degree of caution others have expressed on the boots. Sounds backwards but get the heaviest boots you can for the mountains. Far better to have that leg-weary feeling than to have the footsore beat to pieces feeling that less stout boots might lead too. If one gets tired, one can slow down. If one's feet get to hurting, hard to resolve that out in the field.

Yukon254: Not to hijack the thread.....but Are your Limmers the full custom or the half-custom, sort-of-ready made version? Limmers are likely the next boots for me mostly because of their size range and because Scarpa's Wrangell ain't the same as their previous Liskamm model. Does the lack of a rand cause undue wear with the Limmers?
    Back in AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast