Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier Fishing Tomorrow

Default Whittier Fishing Tomorrow

Wondering if anyone has a recent update on PWS. If the weather cooperates I'll be taking someone fishing tomorrow who is from out of state and has never been in PWS. I've been down with some boat issues for the last month so I haven't been out, but I'm back up and running. It sounds like Silvers are almost non existent. Hoping to find some halibut and maybe some silvers somewhere. Any info would be appreciated. Thinking about heading down towards the Needles, or possibly around Smith Island.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Wondering if anyone has a recent update on PWS. If the weather cooperates I'll be taking someone fishing tomorrow who is from out of state and has never been in PWS. I've been down with some boat issues for the last month so I haven't been out, but I'm back up and running. It sounds like Silvers are almost non existent. Hoping to find some halibut and maybe some silvers somewhere. Any info would be appreciated. Thinking about heading down towards the Needles, or possibly around Smith Island.
    PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I was out last weekend, and did OK for halibut out by Naked one day and not the next. I trolled a bunch for silvers, but only got pinks. I even went over to Glacier Island hoping to get some on the way to Valdez with no luck. I heard a couple of charter operators talking about how bad the silver fishing is. I would say Smith or the needles would be good choices for halibut and don't waster your time on silvers unless you see someone catching them. Trying for Kings in close would be a better choice than silvers. Please report back on how you did and what you find.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I was out last weekend, and did OK for halibut out by Naked one day and not the next. I trolled a bunch for silvers, but only got pinks. I even went over to Glacier Island hoping to get some on the way to Valdez with no luck. I heard a couple of charter operators talking about how bad the silver fishing is. I would say Smith or the needles would be good choices for halibut and don't waster your time on silvers unless you see someone catching them. Trying for Kings in close would be a better choice than silvers. Please report back on how you did and what you find.
    If you plan to fish out by Smith, all I would say is, good friggin luck. We spent a significant amount of time out there recently without s much as a single halibut. That area has just gotten pounded this year, and the catch rates are now showing that.

Thank you for the reports. Didn't get out due to the weather but plan to head out Friday for the weekend. I will give a report when we get back. Looking like the weather should be nice for the weekend

Hope it clears up for you and your Friend. I was watching the forecast and wondering if you made it out. Looks pretty bumpy even for a 28' Raider

MMSI# 338232859

Thanks, me too. They had forecasted 6' for today, went down to 4' in this mornings forecast but we called it off last night. Might even get some sun with the nice water this weekend with any luck!

I am making probably my last summer trip on Saturday. Passage forecast looks a bit fugly with a 20 knot West, but thankfully a west on the outbound. Need one last load of white meat.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Good luck out there. Fingers crossed the weather holds. It sure seems to be changing fairly dramatically from forecast to forecast over the last several days.

I'm coming to Alaska Labor Day weekend until Sept 17. I would like to get my SIL and grandson out for a halibut, ling, rockfish, whatever's biting trip sometime over Sept 8-10 timeframe. Just wondering what to expect. They live in the Mat-Su so was thinking of Whittier, but could consider Seward or Valdez. Wondering if any charters are running that late, or better yet, if someone is willing, we could go with a local and pay for gas, etc. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well the latter is against a few laws, Crazy Ray's might run that later, could check with Saltwater Excursions as well.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Good advise JR.

MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    I'm coming to Alaska Labor Day weekend until Sept 17. I would like to get my SIL and grandson out for a halibut, ling, rockfish, whatever's biting trip sometime over Sept 8-10 timeframe. Just wondering what to expect. They live in the Mat-Su so was thinking of Whittier, but could consider Seward or Valdez. Wondering if any charters are running that late, or better yet, if someone is willing, we could go with a local and pay for gas, etc. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Well the latter is against a few laws, Crazy Ray's might run that later, could check with Saltwater Excursions as well.
    I'm confused. Not interested in doing anything illegal. What's illegal? Fishing with a local? Buying his gas? Something else? I'm from Minnesota where these aren't issues. Please help me out. Thanks.

There's a fine line between taking out friends and splitting costs versus offering people to take them out and pay for gas,bait and such. It gets into the chartering aspect of things and ADF&G frowns upon that.

MMSI# 338232859

Even family is not supposed to pay for stuff unless it's an even split.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Crazy Ray's posted this Today :Fishing season ain't over till it's over!!!! Still have some seats left coming up!

Please share the fishing schedule with your fishing peeps!

August 29: (4) seats
    August 30: (6) seats
    August 31: (4) seats

Sept 1: (1) seat
    Sept 3: (1) seat
    Sept 4: (3) seats
    Sept 8: (3) seats
    Sept 9: (6) seats
    Sept 10: (3) seats
    Sept 11: (6) seats
    Sept 19: (4) seats

He's one of the few charters that run this late. And he still puts you on the fish too

MMSI# 338232859

Thanks for enlightening me. I'll call Crazy Ray tomorrow to see what I can arrange.

Fishing was good, launching was interesting Friday with 35 to 40 knot winds! Launch ramp looked like a zoo for people launching late this morning when we came in. Must have been 20 boats waiting to head out.

MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast