Thread: 41 Magnum

Default 41 Magnum

Didn't know if this should go in the handgun forum or the reloading form . . .

I'm looking for some loading info for 220 grain hard cast bullets in the .41 magnum. Lots of jacketed bullet info out there, but not a lot for cast. I'd use jacketed bullets if I could find something suitable for "bear protection", but all I seem to able to find are hollow points

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Default Leadheads...

Call down to Leadheads..

620-549-6475

http://proshootpro.com/

Good folks, good info.

The 210s that I bought from them for my 41 sbh hunter would shoot 4" at 100yds. (w/ 2x scope).

Not to hi-jack your thread, but.....

Anybody try the Winchester 240gr Platinum Tip in the .41 mag? Seems to me like it should penetrate like the .44mag 300gr, with close to the same energy but without the recoil.

I have a Taurus Tracker Titanium (5-shot .41mag) with a 4" barrel, factory ported, that weighs nothing. Seems like a great backpack gun, without going to a 4-5 pound pistol.

And yes, I know all the facts regarding using enough gun, pistol vs. rifle vs. shotgun. That argument has been hashed out enough that we don't need to do that again. I'm just curious whether anybody's actually used it.

Loading data for the Sierra 220 grain FPJ will be fine for the 220 grain cast bullets. Velocity will be a little higher but pressure will be lower, with the same powder charge. One of the advantages of the cast bullets.

I can ditto the LeadHeads bullets, though I haven't used them in the 41. I used to see the Lead Head guy at the gun shows around Kansas and Missouri (he's in Kansas), he always had lots of very good looking cast bullets. I think it's a dorky name though. He has about the best true Keith style bullets in all the revolver calibers.

Just a simple question, why 220 grains and not 250's? The "bear loads" ammo folks load the CP 250 WFNGC for the 41 mag and with the right powder that is a super penetrator bullet. I think the N105 powder is really good for heavy cast in the 41 and 357. This summer I bought a bunch of powder from a close out for $15 a pound including Vihta and have found many good uses for those powders.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray7 View Post
    Not to hi-jack your thread, but.....

Anybody try the Winchester 240gr Platinum Tip in the .41 mag? Seems to me like it should penetrate like the .44mag 300gr, with close to the same energy but without the recoil.

I have a Taurus Tracker Titanium (5-shot .41mag) with a 4" barrel, factory ported, that weighs nothing. Seems like a great backpack gun, without going to a 4-5 pound pistol.

And yes, I know all the facts regarding using enough gun, pistol vs. rifle vs. shotgun. That argument has been hashed out enough that we don't need to do that again. I'm just curious whether anybody's actually used it.
    No never heard of it. Where can I find them?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default .41 mag jacketed bullets

I've had a Ruger single action 41 w/ 6 1/2" barrel for about 25 years, have shot a couple of black bears with it (hunting them). I always liked the Sierra 220gr FPJ (full profile jacket, the copper cups over the narrow end of the bullet), very accurate and incredible penetration, but they must have quit making them as my supply is getting low and now that I'm looking again I see Sierra doesn't list them anymore. Hornady had (maybe still) a 210 gr full metal profile jacketed bullet, kind of the reverse of the Sierra in that the open end of the copper jacket is on the underside of the bullet; they seem to work fine. Just my 2 cents.

Default Heavy .41 Mag bullets

I have been using some heavy hardcast wfngc bullets in my 6 1/2" three-screw Blackhawk with excellent results. I got mine from Dan Congiolosi (right, Murphy?) and they are accurate and should penetrate well. I also obtained some 300 grainers from him too that should work well. .41 Mag is really not much smaller in dia. then the .44 Mag which is actually .43 cal, of course. The three hundred grain can be loaded to pretty comparable ballistics, shooting flatter at longer ranges if hunting. Just google The Bullshop to check out Dan;s shop. But, I believe Cast Performance has the heavyweights, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I've had a Ruger single action 41 w/ 6 1/2" barrel for about 25 years, have shot a couple of black bears with it (hunting them). I always liked the Sierra 220gr FPJ (full profile jacket, the copper cups over the narrow end of the bullet), very accurate and incredible penetration, but they must have quit making them as my supply is getting low and now that I'm looking again I see Sierra doesn't list them anymore. Hornady had (maybe still) a 210 gr full metal profile jacketed bullet, kind of the reverse of the Sierra in that the open end of the copper jacket is on the underside of the bullet; they seem to work fine. Just my 2 cents.

You're right about the FPJ Sierras. Very good bullet and about the only "soft nose" jacketed I use. Same goes for he 250 grain 44 FPJ. A very accurate bullet and a stong performer on deer sized critters. I hope they haven't discontinued those. They may have dropped 41 caliber bullets, that Red Headed Step Child, doesn't get much attention lately.

I've got a couple of them, a 4 5/8" three screw Ruger and a 1968 vintage M58 S&W, a great caliber. I'm glad to see there are a couple of other shooters out there. I still looking for a 5 1/2" Redhawk to add to my step children.

Murphy-

The link to winchester for those 240gr .41 Mag:

http://www.winchester.com/products/c...VtIE1hZ251bQ==

They show 833ft/lbs at the muzzle. I'm sure they're going to open up way quicker than a good hardcast bullet, but I like being able to buy over-the-shelf.

Federal also loads the 250gr castcore for the .41 mag as an over-the-counter load, but they only list 647ft/lbs at the muzzle.

I'm glad to see the big manufacturers starting to load some decent ammo for the .41 mag.

I know it doesn't match .44mag ballistics (or .454 casull, or .475 linebaugh, etc...) but it's much more pleasant to shoot.

I was just glancing at my box of federal 250 grain cast core cartridges and they advertise the muzzle velocity at 1250 fps with 865 ft.lbs.I shoot a ruger .41 with a 5.5 inch barrel.Very pleasant to shoot,was out this weekend with my son fishing.We stopped in one of the gravel pits up the Parks and shot some of the 250's and some older 210 jhp's I had .The Hogue grip is jsut dandy on there..a real pleasure to shoot.

Dan-

I double checked Federal's website and the figure I quoted was from a 4" vented barrel. I bet the number quoted on the box is from a 6" or longer barrel and that's where they are getting the extra energy.

Anybody ever shoot something with that 250gr Cast Core? I'm wondering penetration/expansion performance.

It's sad that Federal and Winchester offer better loadings for the .41 than Remington, where it started as a proprietary cartridge (.41 Rem Mag).

Arrow Federal 250 grain castcores

When they first came out I took them hog hunting in my ruger blackhawk I took a 250 pound hog with it and it worked fine I shot through both front shoulders and it kept on going resulting in a very dead very good eating mound of pork.If you reload you might try Leadheads 230 grain keith very hard bullet. His excellent bullets have worked very well for me in all handgun calibers when you are looking for max penetration.Good shooting Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray7 View Post
    Murphy-

The link to winchester for those 240gr .41 Mag:

http://www.winchester.com/products/c...VtIE1hZ251bQ==

They show 833ft/lbs at the muzzle. I'm sure they're going to open up way quicker than a good hardcast bullet, but I like being able to buy over-the-shelf.

I've never seen that bullet before but it does look good. The added weight will be good and if it's expansion isn't too quick, it wood be good for deer sized critters. The use of hard cast in handguns is where expansion is not desired, I wouldn't expect them to expand at all, they just exit.

I have some factory loaded 250 hard cast from Federal and from my 4" S&W I think they were just under 1100 fps. That is a Cast Performance bullet.
    I load my own to 1200 with a diferent powder and they are more accurate. I havent' tried the cast core, I see no reason for the jacket on a cast bullet.

A jacketed bullet loaded to the same pressure will be slower than a cast bullet.

I have the Taurus Ti Tracker 4". A few years ago I loaded the CP 250 WFNs. Used 18.5 gr of 2400 for 1275fps. Without any doubt whatsoever, this is/was the most abusive shooting I have ever undertaken. I feel it was abusive on the gun and I know it was abusive on me. In retrospect I am not sure it is the best choice for a bear encounter. I think I would be better served by one of the 210ish bullets.

This past winter I used this gun for mountain lion with Sierra 170 JHCs, 21.0 gr. of 2400 for 1103 fps. I was very surprised to find how little the bullet opened. I wouldn't suggest the 170s for bear but I would use one of the 210 varieties for a good compromise between shootability and penetration.

Here's a pic of the recovered 170.

Because of a sharp angling away shot, it was enough to stop the bullet under the far shoulder.

Default CP and light gun

Well, when you shoot an extra heavy bullet and load in an extra light firearm, what would you expect? In a proper steel larger frame gun like an S&W or Ruger, that Cast Performance bullet and load would have been excellent and a good bear load. Any of the good 210 grainers at safe high velocity .41 mag loads would work for black bear, but i would prefer a heavier bullet such as the 255 to 300 grain wfngc bullet at proper velocity. Just my 2 sense.

Ed,

Nice Kitty.

I have seen may JSP that look like that or with the nose closed up at impact orflattened on one side or just deformed in some way and they don't usually do as good of a job as yours did. I prefer the more predictable performance of cast.

Looking at your load data, it seems a bit warm. The 250 WFN with 18.5 of 2400 is a full load. I guess that would explain the recoil, huh? I would also expect higher velocity from a 170 grain and 21.5 grains of 2400 in the 41 mag. That too being a max load.

Default Wrap up

Gentlemen,

I've been in travel mode for the past couple weeks and have not been reading your postings -- til today. Thank you all very much.

Murphy, the reason for the 220 grain bullets is because that's the mould I have (Saeco #418, SWC BB). I would have preferred a heavier gas check design, but 220gr is as big as Saeco .41 moulds go, and their only GC design is a truncated cone with a fairly small meplat.

I've read some uncomplimentary things about bevel base designs lately (sure, AFTER I got the mold), but the Saeco web site claims that there is no discernible difference in accuracy between flat base and bevel base designs. So I don't know.

Looking though Water's Pet Loads, he seemed to like 4227, H-110 and a couple others, but some of Ken's info is getting a bit dated with some of the newer powders on the market. I'm somewhat limited by the powders I can get locally, but I have some I-4227 and H-110 that I can start with.

Regards to all,
    Forestar