Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC860 Taylor Highway advice

Default RC860 Taylor Highway advice

Me and my brother have gotten tags for zone 1&3 and likely will go to Taylor, higher quota. We haven't done this hunt before and haven't hunted caribou before. Possible areas to road camp atv out of. We are going up Sunday after noon and tenting the night to be up before first light. I've been calling the hotline everyday but no new updates yet.

Would really like to be successful for both of us, but if it comes down to it I want it to be me not him!! HAHA

Any advice or pm's would be awesome! Thanks

Around mile 105-106 on the Taylor Hwy, just after the split at the Top of the World or go out to Boundary. My son had the early season youth tag for this area and after scouting and then talking with some locals we found them further east and NE. 99% of the people hunting this year will be there on Saturday or early morning Sunday to scout, this will get them all stirred up and running around in multiple directions so just find a good spot to sit and glass. Only other advice I would give would be to stay away from Chicken Ridge. Good luck to you both.

Hotline reports only 2 taken in zone 3 and 32 in zone 2. Sounding like the start-off of last year again.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Around mile 105-106 on the Taylor Hwy, just after the split at the Top of the World or go out to Boundary. My son had the early season youth tag for this area and after scouting and then talking with some locals we found them further east and NE. 99% of the people hunting this year will be there on Saturday or early morning Sunday to scout, this will get them all stirred up and running around in multiple directions so just find a good spot to sit and glass. Only other advice I would give would be to stay away from Chicken Ridge. Good luck to you both.
    GAredneck, I'm new to 20E as well this year, plus it's been many years since I've driven the Taylor/Boundary road to/from Canada, and was wondering what it is like between Chicken and mile 105. The Milepost has lots of warnings for this stretch to include "1,000 foot drop-offs, no guardrails, soft shoulders", etc., and I'll be pulling an 8x12 trailer with two ATVs with a Yukon. Should I be worried if I want to go North of Chicken? That was my original plan, until I read the Milepost...

I understand that for the first half of this stretch, South of the road is walk-in / ATV-on-trails-only area (Ladue River CUA, do I have this right?). Or, given that most are still in 20D, would the north side be better?

Also, how is the private land situation in the area? Are things marked, or is it pretty clear?

Cheers,
    Griz

Griz, you'll be just fine going north of chicken. There's always numerous motor homes and pull behind campers up around mike 105 and such. But we had seen several animals the further east we went. Below is one happy young man!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Thanks GA! this info will be really useful. I wish we could head up earlier but we both got commitments to take care of before we leave.

If you go toward boundry and just beyond the "town", there is the Cherry Creek trail that runs south. That trail is an easy ride and allows access to a huge area. Continue past the mining area and you come out in prime areas to hunt. Pick any trail the way that cuts off the left side and you should be able to gain elevation. With relarive ease. It is an amazing area and you can see for miles. A few years back another member and I went about 7 miles back and harvested a couple of meat bulls from just outside our tent door. One of my shortest hunts ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    If you go toward boundry and just beyond the "town", there is the Cherry Creek trail that runs south. That trail is an easy ride and allows access to a huge area. Continue past the mining area and you come out in prime areas to hunt. Pick any trail the way that cuts off the left side and you should be able to gain elevation. With relarive ease. It is an amazing area and you can see for miles. A few years back another member and I went about 7 miles back and harvested a couple of meat bulls from just outside our tent door. One of my shortest hunts ever.
    Excellent, ERDucker! Just to clarify, what do you mean by 'town'? I found a Cherry Creek on the map just before the Canadian border. Is that what you mean? There appears to be one (a longer one) going North of the road at the same point. Are these trails marked at all?

Edit:
    Actually, my map in Topo NA 10 shows a trail to the south right at the junction of Taylor and Boundary that runs a ridge back to meet the Taylor again West of the junction. Those are the only two that i see that run South between the junction and the border. Do you mean this second one?

Coming into Boundary you will see the airport on your right. There are 1 or two buildings and then a road to the right. You can drive down to the parking area.you can see it running south on the right side of the pic , boundary, not Chicken like the pic says. image.jpgimage.jpg

I'll be out that way in a silver Honda pioneer with a pac rat trailer. Feel free to flag me down and we can compare notes as to where their being spotted this year. It's gonna be few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I'll be out that way in a silver Honda pioneer with a pac rat trailer. Feel free to flag me down and we can compare notes as to where their being spotted this year. It's gonna be few and far between.

if you see a bald white guy, me, and a guy who has gotta long ponytail and looks like giant Cherokee, my brother feel free to help us out to.

How'd you guys do? We spent three days and didn't see a single animal so we decided to wait to see if they move in later

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    How'd you guys do? We spent three days and didn't see a single animal so we decided to wait to see if they move in later

We got in Sunday night and went around Monday morning and talked to a few people who all said the same thing we didn't see any game at all. We ended up leaving around 1300 and headed home. I was like 16 hours of driving for 15 hours of sleep, hunt, eat. Kinda rough but it was a lot of fun as well. We ended up taking my son, it was his first hunting trip and he got to see what all can happen on a trip.

I saw one animal (bull) in 4 days. He was miles off. Probably 7-10 small bulls (some just yearlings) harvested that I saw or heard of. While there were reports of small 10-15 animal herds, I didn't meet anyone who actually saw them. No fresh tracks or poop. Met 3 different people who had driven to Boundary and didn't see anything. Reports from "Chicken Ridge" were similar. Guess they're still hanging out in Unit 2. Beautiful weather, but the herd wasn't there. I was in the area south of Chicken Ridge (Taylor Mountain trail).

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    I saw one animal (bull) in 4 days. He was miles off. Probably 7-10 small bulls (some just yearlings) harvested that I saw or heard of. While there were reports of small 10-15 animal herds, I didn't meet anyone who actually saw them. No fresh tracks or poop. Met 3 different people who had driven to Boundary and didn't see anything. Reports from "Chicken Ridge" were similar. Guess they're still hanging out in Unit 2. Beautiful weather, but the herd wasn't there. I was in the area south of Chicken Ridge (Taylor Mountain trail).
    We drove from Chicken to Boundary on MOnday talked to a few people and they didn't see anything either.

I am taking my wife and 2 daughters up the Taylor for a few days this week. I hunted off the Steese last year. This will be the first hunt trip with the family and my first Taylor trip up the Taylor.

any new reports out there? Plan on heading out the beginning of next week if all goes well. the hotline isn't updated much.
    Thanks!

48 killed in zone 3

Anyone going to be up there this weekend? I've got a few days off and might make the voyage up there solo.

i don't know if its worth it yet. sucks to drive 10hrs to stare at bushes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast