Thread: Halibut on fly...85 lbs.

Default Halibut on fly...85 lbs.

Not my first halibut on fly, but my largest! Came off the side of a pinnacle about 70-80' down.

13wt fly rod, no supplemental weight on fly, no scent, sinking line only, 100% fly gear and technique. By far the most power I've put into a fly rod before. Unreal feeling those headshakes 60' down. Fishing solo and she wouldn't fit in the net so I had to hand-land her by the gill plate and bring her in live with one hand. It got sporty, but I got it done. I love doing big fish in big water on fly.

85 lbs/55"
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a good score in recent years, even without the fly rod!

Gotta ask about your line setup. I've used Leviathans in years past, but last year switched to T-18 heads on Amnesia running line.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Same here, but I run T20 on a running line. Then a short class tippet and a wire leader. The class tippet isn't so much for actual class or records, but so that when I snag something, I break it instead of my T20 heads.

Wow! Nice fish!!! I think I am more impressed with the one hand landing! That's just nuts. Great job, 10 times so on fly gear!

Kodiakfly, did you shoot it or harpoon it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Kodiakfly, did you shoot it or harpoon it ?
    Neither! Grabbed under the gill plate and drug it in the boat with one hand, live. Gilled it in the boat as I kneeled on it so it didn't thrash and break all my rods!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Wow! Nice fish!!! I think I am more impressed with the one hand landing! That's just nuts. Great job, 10 times so on fly gear!
    Lol, it was all adrenaline, and I'm a big guy. I had the big Frabil in front of her, but she wasn't going to fit comfortably and she was hanging more vertical than horizontal, so going in head-first wasn't going to happen. Put the net down and landing them live was how I did it back in my younger, stronger, dumber days so I knew I could do it...dusted off the old skills. Lol. She actually came over the gunwale really easily and I figured her for like 60 lbs by how easy she came out. It wasn't until later and I moved her to the bow for pics and I thought, "this is a heavier fish..." Scale said 84.9.

Good onya! I was waiting to hear how you pulled the fish in with one hand.

I, like anybody, can drag a heavy object much easier and farther than dead lifting and carrying it but with your low gunnel, big guns and adrenaline boost I can see the fish sliding right over and on to the deck.

Still impressive and even thinking about slinging a 13 wt stick very long wears out my skinny arms.

great job no matter how you look at it, SID

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    Then a short class tippet and a wire leader. The class tippet isn't so much for actual class or records, but so that when I snag something, I break it instead of my T20 heads.
    One stunt to try. I got tired of the snags while trying to tend bottom, so I started putting mono weedless loops on all my flies. No increase in missed strikes I can detect, and now hangups are scarce. I've been using 80# or 100# mono shock tippets rather than wire, but that's more habit leftover from bluewater fishing than necessity. I've never lost a fish due to failure of the shock tippet. Not saying you need to change a thing, rather offering thoughts for the back of your mind if you want to mess around.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Lol, it was all adrenaline, and I'm a big guy. I had the big Frabil in front of her, but she wasn't going to fit comfortably and she was hanging more vertical than horizontal, so going in head-first wasn't going to happen. Put the net down and landing them live was how I did it back in my younger, stronger, dumber days so I knew I could do it...dusted off the old skills. Lol. She actually came over the gunwale really easily and I figured her for like 60 lbs by how easy she came out. It wasn't until later and I moved her to the bow for pics and I thought, "this is a heavier fish..." Scale said 84.9.
    If you would have fit her in it she would have destroyed it, ask me how I found that one out Nice fish man.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

...hanging more vertical than horizontal, so going in head-first wasn't going to happen....
    That's a huge problem with netting halibut. In spring when the kings can run big I keep a Frabil 32" X 41" Power Catch net on the boat, but switch it out for a smaller model once the silvers appear. We've netted halibut to 75-80# with room to spare, but only when you can get them laying flat rather than tail down. Easier with two people.... Dunno how you'd do it with one.

Back when I was doing more solo fishing I carried my trusty old tarpon lip gaff for halibut. Short shank and wrist strap made it dandy for solo halibut. Trouble is, I used it once without the wrist strap and donated it to Chiniak Bay when a 100+ went nuts.
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've been using 80# or 100# mono shock tippets rather than wire, but that's more habit leftover from bluewater fishing than necessity. I've never lost a fish due to failure of the shock tippet.
    I use wire for the lings. I have confidence in 100# for halibut, but to wrench on a deep ling, I'd like to have wire. I even use FC for muskies.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    If you would have fit her in it she would have destroyed it, ask me how I found that one out Nice fish man.
    Thanks. I've had 80's in the net before going nuts. It's a Frabil Big Game with a great bag. It's had big buts and my Wife's 48 lb ling from last week in it. I like to pull the bag up against the boat so the thrashing goes into the boat instead of directly into the net hoop.

I use wire for the lings. I have confidence in 100# for halibut, but to wrench on a deep ling, I'd like to have wire. I even use FC for muskies.
    I wouldn't worry about lings biting you off. Teeth are smooth sided like a walleye, yes pointy, but they don't tear up mono like a pike/Muskie/Wahoo/Cuda do.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts