Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "Is this sheep legal?" Request for help.

Default Another "Is this sheep legal?" Request for help.

So, I posted one of these sheep from last year and he was back this year. He was given yet another year to live... what do you think?

Also found this group of three... I'm really looking for some help on what and how I should be judging these. Maybe some tips the fish and game doesn't give.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That first one sure looks to be 8.

Quote Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
    That first one sure looks to be 8.
    Would you say the 5th annuli is right next to the ears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bowman View Post
    So, I posted one of these sheep from last year and he was back this year. He was given yet another year to live... what do you think?

Also found this group of three... I'm really looking for some help on what and how I should be judging these. Maybe some tips the fish and game doesn't give.

The only ram I would even consider taking a good look at would be the top ram in the last picture. The other sheep are not even close in my opinion.

I passed 7 questionable sheep on my Delta hunt a few years back. Most of them were in the size range of your pictures, one maybe even larger. I am of no help to you with these rams, however I firmly believe I left legal rams on the mountains. It was either going to be a no brainer or a no shot for me.

You really don't think the top RAM is close?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I passed 7 questionable sheep on my Delta hunt a few years back. Most of them were in the size range of your pictures, one maybe even larger. I am of no help to you with these rams, however I firmly believe I left legal rams on the mountains. It was either going to be a no brainer or a no shot for me.
    It just seems kind of ridiculous to me that even though there are obviously mature animals, you have to pass on them. I found 3 different sets of 8/9 old dead heads in this drainage... really pissed me off.

I think I'd look them over and take pics just like you have and walk away. They will make nice rams next year.

It just seems kind of ridiculous to me that even though there are obviously mature animals, you have to pass on them. I found 3 different sets of 8/9 old dead heads in this drainage... really pissed me off.

How dare them sheep die of old age and natural causes! Every mature ram deserves to be hung on some guys wall. Yeesh, what is the world coming to? The hubris of sheep hunters is one of natures strongest forces.

And first ram is old enough.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Bottom one looks best. Top one is a tight curl and younger than the bottom one. But none would I shoot.

How about this one...?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think he'd age out. I'd probably shoot him.

"Think" and "probably" are luxuries I don't have when it comes to killing a sheep.
    Master guide 212

No nada. Very top is way young and small. Next down is close but not leagal by any method. The bloody one is kind of like when you go to a bar and pick up what is a 10 at 2 but next morning she is a 2 at 10

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    "Think" and "probably" are luxuries I don't have when it comes to killing a sheep.
    Agreed. Thinking is Im my opinion a wreck less way of hunting.

Nice pics!

The first sheep may well be eight, but his growth patterns are a little unusual and I wouldn't shoot him without a lot more study.

In the second group, the top ram looks to be very close to full curl and deserves further study. The other two aren't close.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    How dare them sheep die of old age and natural causes! Every mature ram deserves to be hung on some guys wall. Yeesh, what is the world coming to? The hubris of sheep hunters is one of natures strongest forces.

And first ram is old enough.
    Well, I'm just saying when you spend 4k in two years and use all your vacation time to harvest what you deem is a trophy animal but are left wondering... yeah I think those sheep's lives would have been more appreciated on my wall.

I spent 4k on car insurance and got nothing in return! Lol maybe I keep driving, sooner or later it will all be worth it!!
    Master guide 212

I found 3 different sets of 8/9 old dead heads in this drainage...
    Did you bring them home? Sheep horn has some value for carvers and artists. Besides, they're just really cool.

Good call on passing. Agreed that the top one deserves a close look, but based on the pictures I wouldn't be shooting. We've been trying for a decade to get my wife on a ram and only just connected this year. We've spent a whole lot more than 4k on the effort, but are glad we did it the way we did. LOTS of almost there rams passed up in the process, but that's part of what makes success so sweet.

Bowman,

The pics of the first ram quite clearly show it is at least 8, But I am looking at it on the net, not from behind a rifle.
    If YOU are not sure, don't shoot. Don't shoot cause some guy on the web said it he thought it was legal....
    I would suggest that unless you are Really confident in aging, don't shoot based on age.

Re. Bear's post, I see absolutely no reason to consider an 8 year old ram too young to shoot. The vast majority of rams never make it to eight due to natural mortality. And not all rams have the genetics or environment to be big. We have decided within species management research that an eight year old ram is just fine for harvest....

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Bottom one looks best. Top one is a tight curl and younger than the bottom one. But none would I shoot.

How about this one...?
    Lol.... I wondered the same thing when I saw that. Maybe legal by age? How the heck did the shooter, guide figure that out considering the location?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast