Thread: Saturn Kaboats and outboardsSo I'm wondering.

Default Saturn Kaboats and outboardsSo I'm wondering.

I just bought a 15' Alaskan model kaboat that I am running with a Mercury 2 stroke 7.5. I used it this weekend on the Wood River for a bear/moose hunt. I wasn't carrying an awful lot of weight and the boat performed as expected except for speed. There were three of us in the boat (250, 315, and 120) with a 6 gallon tank and a spare five gallons of gas (way more than needed). As far as gear, I only had a tote with butchering stuff if we had the opportunity to take game. Nothing heavy.

It was a tight squeeze with three people, but that was expected. Really only wanted to take the adult, but his son's birthday was last week and decided he could tag along.

We weren't able to get in step and I'm not sure why. I think that the motor might have been underpowered? Maybe I need a new prop. I didn't have the trim set since I wanted the motor to have the ability to kick up if I hit a rock.

From reading the the other kaboat thread it seemed everyone was able to get up on step with similar horsepower.
    im wondering what everyone else is running? Does anyone else have issues getting on step? I only burned two gallons of gas for a full day of floating and powering. Would like to move a little faster as well as get on step.
    I'm new to boating so any advise would be appreciated.

more HP with that load as I see it , here is a couple of questions, are the tubes an floor up to full pressure ?
    that will cause some of your problems, not up to full pressure, it will mushroom [ bend some ] I don't think there is a gage
    with that rig
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    more HP with that load as I see it , here is a couple of questions, are the tubes an floor up to full pressure ?
    that will cause some of your problems, not up to full pressure, it will mushroom [ bend some ] I don't think there is a gage
    with that rig
    SID
    I had the sides inflated to 4.5 and the floor to 12 (newer gen3 model and Brian suggested a higher PSI on the floor).

to go faster with that weight , then get more HP the boat will take it ,
    I don't think there is much to chose from, on props for that motor, good motor but made for fishing,
    not for speed, SID

I have two 15'ers. A 9.8 is just right. 15hp is too much and will cause oil can burps and cavitations. Don't expect to get on step with 800 plus pounds. The boat works great with a moderate load but if you plan to load it up with a moose and a camp then the boat becomes a good barge. Kill your moose upstream or bring more gas for multiple trips. Its a great boat but it's not magical.

Its all faster than walking
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Not to hijack the thread, but are there any Kaboat owners in the Fairbanks area that would let me check out the boat. I thought I saw one getting launched on the Chena Boat ramp off Nordale but did not have time to check it out.

I am seriously thinking about ordering one this winter.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by joshbayles View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but are there any Kaboat owners in the Fairbanks area that would let me check out the boat. I thought I saw one getting launched on the Chena Boat ramp off Nordale but did not have time to check it out.

I am seriously thinking about ordering one this winter.

Josh
    Just get one. Seriously.

I took the boat out this weekend with one less person, and spent all weekend on snake lake. Went from one end to the other following the north shore of the lake and only burned 4 gallons of gas. This weekend, i want to use a GPS to check my speed. I ordered a 9 pitch prop and am waiting on that to return. I think the 7.5 will work, just need to change that prop and add one of those planer things.

Last moose hunting trip update. I took the kaboat out again with one guy and camp with a gps. On a lake we were getting 12.5 mph with the 7.5 2 stroke, so though it isn't fast loaded, it handles really well and it sips gas while moving faster than the bugs.

I unloaded the kaboat and decided to take it on a quick jaunt around the bay we were camping in and with just me and some light gear I got 16.5 mph.

I also got a chance to race a friend with his kaboat and 5 hp 4 stroke. He was solo day hunting and I was loaded with our camp and extra body and he might have been slightly faster, though he wasn't pulling away from me. His motor was much quieter and if I was hunting solo, I'd probably look at a 5 hp 4 stroke for gas and quietness, but the 7.5 might just stay with me. New prop is getting ordered possibly this week through someone in Anchorage since I can't find anything less than $40 shipping online.