Thread: MT Creek "Single Hook" question

Default MT Creek "Single Hook" question

A couple of weeks ago (24 June to be precise). I walked back into the mouth at MT Creek and a watched a person cast a vibrax and catch a jack (King). He threw it back however he was using a treble hook as I read the regs you can only use a single hook ("one point") at MT Creek (at least until after Kings close). Wanted a second opinion as I hope to get there for a couple of hours this weekend.

Thanks

Default Uhh

read the regs - those have some amazingly useful information in them - while they are a tad bit trying to read at times - you will find what you seek in there.....not here

If the regs say single hook then single hook it is. Many people don't know the regs or dont care. A lot of the time when you get away from the road a little ways people ignore the regs and do whatever they like. I saw some people fishing bait in goose creek last weekend. There were no fish around but its still illeagal.

I understand single hook to mean a hook with one point and as such a treble hook with 3 points is not a single hook. I do often wonder why they just don't put a picture in the regs instead of trying to speak lawyer when they describe things. I'm sure there are many people that read that a single (or one) hook to be one treble hook with 3 points, and multiple hooks to be two or more hooks such as a harness set up with two physical sperate hooks.

Just my 2 cents either way I will be fishing with a single "one sharp point" hook and not treble hooks this weekend.

Default Definitely check the regs, but ...

The Willow Creek (another Parks Highway stream) is also a "single-hook" fishery. However, if you are within a 1/2 mile (I think, it is either that or a 1/4 mile) of the mouth, then you may use more than one hook, i.e. a treble or a tandem hook.

On the Willow, if you walk the creek up from the mouth, you will come across a sign saying something like "only single unbaited hooks" may be used to fish the creek above this point.

I would venture to say that if the angler was fishing at the mouth of Montana creek then he was probably legal.

....... however, I have never ventured up above Willow in my pursuit of Kings.

Just my $.02 ..... scratch that ... just my $.01 worth

-- Gambler

Copied straight from the reg. Page 27. So it sounds like he was legal if he was down stream from the bridge.

Upstream of the Parks Highway, only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round.

Read the Regs . . .

. . . and then call Fish and Game to double check. Ask questions.

There is no reason for NOT knowing what the regs are where you intend to fish. The lazy and uninformed get tickets.