Thread: Long range scope questions..Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 or Nightforce

Default Long range scope questions..Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 or Nightforce

5-20x56 ? I would like to shoot at longer distances and am thinking about getting a Savage long range hunter in 308 model 11/111 and putting either of these scopes on it to shoot out to 500 yrds. I sure would appreciate and suggestions or comments you may have...thnx

I have a huskemaw and I am really happy with that, it's very clear and 5-20 zoom on it also very repeatable. I have had it for several years and if I remember right it was half the price of a nightforce

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Never heard of the Brand...I'll have to look them up..

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...e-review-1.php What a good write up...It got the old wheels turnin,,thnx for then heads up

I have both Nightforce and the Leupold mark 4s. I like the NF better. Looks clearer during the day but at O dark thirty they look the same. BUT, I like Leupolds warranty way better. I broke a turret on my NF (my fault) and they charged me $250 dollars to fix. They were very professional and kept me updated with emails and phone calls through the whole process. I loaned one of my Mark 4s to a buddy and he crushed the tube by not using a torque wrench. Leupold replaced the scope no questions asked and sent an I'm sorry letter. You can't go wrong with either but if I had to pick one scope I'd lean toward the Leupold.
    Henry Bowman for President

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    5-20x56 ? I would like to shoot at longer distances and am thinking about getting a Savage long range hunter in 308 model 11/111 and putting either of these scopes on it to shoot out to 500 yrds. I sure would appreciate and suggestions or comments you may have...thnx
    Are you target shooting at 500 yrds or hunting to 500 yards? If it's target shooting your on the right track if your hunting then thats too much glass. That's just my opinion. I had a Leupold 6.5x20 on a target gun that I used at 100 yards and liked it. All of my coyote guns have wore a 6X for years as does the guns of all of the old veterans in our club. One guy in particular likes it when a coyote hangs up at the quarter mile mark thinking he is safe. He tips them over with regularity with a 25-06 wearing a 6X.

Lots of variables that figure into what scope. Heck if it's spot and stalk and you know where they are and they don't know you exist then one of those big scopes would be fine as long as you carried it on a lower power while making the stalk in case you snuck up on and spooked a trophy of a lifetime that you didn't know was there. My brother while on a sheep hunt was sneaking up on a nice ram and figured he was going to have to make a long shot so he had his scope turned clear up. The outcropping of rock that he snuck around held a surprise. he jumped a ram of a lifetime that ran 75 yards and stopped turned around and looked at him for 5 seconds. He had the gun to his shoulder in ample time but his field of view was so small he couldn't find the ram in the scope. By the time he got his scope dialed down and then back to his shoulder the ram was gone.

I guess that after rereading my own post and having read enough of Onerivers posts I realize that Oneriver has probably done way more of that style hunting than I have. I'm sure my post contained nothing that you didn't already know. I almost deleted it but then if some young guy hung up on tons of magnification reads it and it saves him a game animal...........

I was just thinkin about shootin holes in targets and braggin about my reloads, but I might be tempted to try to reach out for a deer. I have trouble seeing my holes at 300 yards let alone 500. Whats it take to spot your bullet holes at 500 ($2500 spotting scope?) or do you shoot steel and listen for the gong? I mentioned the Savage long range hunter cuz I could shorten the barrel and maybe put a Bell and Carlson stock on it and keep it under 10 pounds. Another rifle I wuz considering is the CZ 557 sporter short action in 308, I hear that there is a long range shooting school that provides these rifles. I have two CZs (.22s) that shoot very well..

I was just thinkin about shootin holes in targets and braggin about my reloads, but I might be tempted to try to reach out for a deer. I have trouble seeing my holes at 300 yards let alone 500. Whats it take to spot your bullet holes at 500 ($2500 spotting scope?) or do you shoot steel and listen for the gong? I mentioned the Savage long range hunter cuz I could shorten the barrel and maybe put a Bell and Carlson stock on it and keep it under 10 pounds. Another rifle I wuz considering is the CZ 557 sporter short action in 308, I hear that there is a long range shooting school that provides these rifles. I have two CZs (.22s) that shoot very well..
    The shoot n see targets make a nice bright spot that you hit you can see through a spotting scope. The other option is to use a steel gong and I paint it white when you hit it you get to hear the hit as well as see where you hit because it makes a pretty good size hole in the paint. I carry a can of spray paint with me so I can touch up the target. When I let the barrel cool I'll walk to the target paint and walk back that's plenty of time for the paint to dry and barrel to cool.

I usually shoot a shot get in the truck and drive 300 yards to the target for a look see. If the target is a coyotie then they have a way of letting ya know that ya landed one on them. I don't shoot at game animals that far away anymore....a man's got to know his limitations. I prefer dumb deer with busted sniffers. They have a better chance of walking into my 4x range!😉ha!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I usually shoot a shot get in the truck and drive 300 yards to the target for a look see. If the target is a coyotie then they have a way of letting ya know that ya landed one on them. I don't shoot at game animals that far away anymore....a man's got to know his limitations. I prefer dumb deer with busted sniffers. They have a better chance of walking into my 4x range!ha!
    Do you factor in gas with the cost of your reloads?

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    The shoot n see targets make a nice bright spot that you hit you can see through a spotting scope. The other option is to use a steel gong and I paint it white when you hit it you get to hear the hit as well as see where you hit because it makes a pretty good size hole in the paint. I carry a can of spray paint with me so I can touch up the target. When I let the barrel cool I'll walk to the target paint and walk back that's plenty of time for the paint to dry and barrel to cool.
    I have one of those targets a real large one I'm goin to try...Tryin to make to the range and sight my caribou rifle to 200 yrds if it ever stops raining and if it doesn't then I guess I'll just sight it in while getting poured on.

Looking real hard at the Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 F1...the Nightforce equivalent is 8 ounces more with 56mm bell), that's a lot to me I'm gettin up in years and I my want to use the scope/rifle in the field...would like to keep the rig (rifle at 7 1/2 lbs.) 10 pounds or under. Don't like the Leupold mil dots..so I guess I need to call Leupold and ask them how to go about getting another reticle in their Mark 4 4-14x50 F1. I like the varmint reticle but haven't decided yet..could use a bit more info. Any of you guys done it before, please chime in.

I love my NightForce. I have the 3.5-15-50mm with the LV.5 ballistic reticle. I couldn't ask for a better point and shoot hunting scope. I've been in a large range of conditions and the only time its fogged up on me was when I was actually in the clouds, on top of a mountain in 40 degree weather. It cleaned up easy with a rag. I'm saving now for an ATAC. If you don't want to spend the money on a NightForce then the Leupold will work well for you too.

Looking real hard at the Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 F1...the Nightforce equivalent is 8 ounces more with 56mm bell), that's a lot to me I'm gettin up in years and I my want to use the scope/rifle in the field...would like to keep the rig (rifle at 7 1/2 lbs.) 10 pounds or under. Don't like the Leupold mil dots..so I guess I need to call Leupold and ask them how to go about getting another reticle in their Mark 4 4-14x50 F1. I like the varmint reticle but haven't decided yet..could use a bit more info. Any of you guys done it before, please chime in.
    Oneriver,
    I don't know if you've been on Leupolds web site, but they have a section where you can build your own scope. It includes the recitals. If you can't pick in option, then it's not available.

I have quite a few Leopold's and I am still a great fan of them. I even have a MK-4 3.5X 10 T-Turret on one of my rifles but if I was going to buy another it will not be a MK-4. Leopold MK-4 has gone up in price quite a bit since the military started using them and there are others out there that are just as good is not better for half the money. Night Force is another fine scope but priced them selves out of reach for a lot of folks.

The last long range scope I picked up was the Vortex 6x24x 50 HS-T and I would put it up against Leopold any day. There warranty is stellar with a life time guarantee regardless if you bought the scope yourself or not. I believe I picked that scope up for just under 600.00 new so take a look at those if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I have quite a few Leopold's and I am still a great fan of them. I even have a MK-4 3.5X 10 T-Turret on one of my rifles but if I was going to buy another it will not be a MK-4. Leopold MK-4 has gone up in price quite a bit since the military started using them and there are others out there that are just as good is not better for half the money. Night Force is another fine scope but priced them selves out of reach for a lot of folks.

The last long range scope I picked up was the Vortex 6x24x 50 HS-T and I would put it up against Leopold any day. There warranty is stellar with a life time guarantee regardless if you bought the scope yourself or not. I believe I picked that scope up for just under 600.00 new so take a look at those if you get a chance.
    I took a look and it almost sounds to good to be true..the 4-16x50 is on sale for $449 at Cabela's I musta read a dozen reviews and they were purdy good.

I have been very happy with the one I purchased and will buy another soon. You can also find some better deals on Ebay than buying for the local chain stores.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have a 4-14x56 shv non illuminated with moar I'd sell ya

Quote Originally Posted by Ak-pilot View Post
    I have a 4-14x56 shv non illuminated with moar I'd sell ya
    Nightforce scopes are to heavy for me they add 8 ozs. over the Leupold...so thank you for the offer.