Thread: Transom savers

Default Transom savers

Does anyone have any pictures or brand names of transom savers for boats with outboard jets? I have heard and read of lots of people that use them but I have yet to see one. Haven't been able to find pics anywhere on the net. I have had too many damaged transoms because of our wonderful road system. I like the work my welder does for me but I would rather use the money I pay him to fix the transoms on some fun stuff. Now that I have another new boat I'd like to skip the biennial (rough estimate) trip to see Karolds.
    Henry Bowman for President

I have a Lock-N-Haul...https://www.lock-n-haul.com/lnhua.html Works great for my 70 hp 4 stroke. It is the only "transom saver" I've ever used so I can't compare it to anything else out there. I'm looking around to see if there might be something better for my new 115. I got mine for around $50, but see they have changed them some and added another $20 to retail. A handy person could make something similar for a lot less. I hope others chime in with what they use.

Attachment 90189
    Kinda hard to see the Transom saver but it is just a piece of angle welded to a square tube that slips over a post on the trailer frame. Put the bar in place and power the motor down a bit then run a strap around the works to the trailer frame and nothing moves while going down the road.

Frozen-I can't see the pic. Could you attach it another way! Thanks Everone.

87 Pro V 150.jpg
    Did it work this time? I'm doing this from work and sometimes IT gets in the way.....

With jet drives can you not just leave the motor vertical while trailering?
    With a prop lower it would hit the ground but the jet is dang near even with the bottom of the boat.
    With it vertical you don't get the torquing you do with a tilted OB.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I agree with Drifter, I never had a reason to tilt the motor while trailers get my jet boat...and never ever had a problem with damaging the transom. Why would you want to?

Even with a jet, there is still a lot of weight hanging off the transom that can vibrate around and cause some damage. Especially on the roads up here.....

Frozen6bt, that looks like a sweet set up. Does that piece go all the way around the foot? If so do you tilt the transom saver to get the foot to go through? Have you seen a difference with it? (Does your transom hold up better?)
    Henry Bowman for President

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    Frozen6bt, that looks like a sweet set up. Does that piece go all the way around the foot? If so do you tilt the transom saver to get the foot to go through? Have you seen a difference with it? (Does your transom hold up better?)
    Yes it does. It's really just a piece of angle with the ends capped off.

I usually just keep the motor trimmed down when on the trailer... If it's too tough on the transom while trailered, your going to have a hell of a time on the water!

Alaskaowned-it's not the water that's the problem, it's the Alaskan roads. The reason for the transom saver is to save the back of the boat from being beaten to piss on our luxurious roads.