Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wonderful but forgotten 22 mag.

Default The wonderful but forgotten 22 mag.

I recently got bitten by the 17WSM bug. I bought two of them one in a Savage BMag and the other a Ruger 77. The Savage looked like it was made by Mattel and sent it back so they could wrap it in plastic and stick it in a Cracker Jack Box. The Ruger is a nice gun. However after a side by side comparison of shooting holes in stuff with the 17WSM and my Ruger American 22 Mag.... it's tit for tat.

I have been watching 22 Mag prices and they are running $35/100. I found 17WSM ammo for about half that so I snatched up 2,000 of them. I still like my 22mag better for a hunting in the woods gun but will use the 17WSM for shooting cow pies and gophers.

If the price of 22 Mag ammo ever becomes reasonable again then I will buy a pile of them and it will be to shoot and not hoard.

I was just in Bass Pro today and they had .22 Mag CCI Maxi's for $15/50. I was going to buy a bunch of it, but I have probably more than I can shoot for the next few years. Didnt seam too bad for me. All the stuff I had I paid $12-13 a box way before the crisis started...
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I recently got bitten by the 17WSM bug. I bought two of them one in a Savage BMag and the other a Ruger 77. The Savage looked like it was made by Mattel and sent it back so they could wrap it in plastic and stick it in a Cracker Jack Box. The Ruger is a nice gun. However after a side by side comparison of shooting holes in stuff with the 17WSM and my Ruger American 22 Mag.... it's tit for tat.

I have been watching 22 Mag prices and they are running $35/100. I found 17WSM ammo for about half that so I snatched up 2,000 of them. I still like my 22mag better for a hunting in the woods gun but will use the 17WSM for shooting cow pies and gophers.

If the price of 22 Mag ammo ever becomes reasonable again then I will buy a pile of them and it will be to shoot and not hoard.
    I don't have enough 22 mag ammo to shoot much jist fer fun.

I have mostly those Federal 50 grain Coyotee loads.

I don't like 17 caliber anything, so they should oughta make a 22WSM.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Forgotten?.not by me, I just put a Weaver V16 on my CZ American .22 mag. and sighted it in at 100 yards Thursday,5 round bug holes!! I'l be ready for my ground squirrel safari this Nov...a year and a half ago I got shoot 19 ground squirrels on Fred Astaire Jr.'s ranch (I think that's funnie for some reason?) I was using a Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight EFR scope..I thought the cross-hairs were to thick..anywho this V16 will extend my range...I love the .22 mag.

I should give a new gun a try with the new ammo. Something's up.

But I got kinda "burned" on the 22 mag decades back, and I'm still a little leery. Thought I just had to have one, and since I had a couple other really fine and accurate Anschutz rifles, saved my pennies and finally afforded a beautiful left handed sporter. Not much ammo to choose from in those days, and I'm not sure the ammo companies put much effort into it. But at it's very, very best that beautiful rifle never once broke 2" at 100 yards, and was more likely to hover around 3". Did all the accurizing possible, and it still wouldn't shoot. It was fine at 50 yards hovering a little over an inch, but why own a 22 mag that didn't top 22LR at best while blowing up eating meat inside 50 yards. Reluctantly traded off that fine rifle, and kind of regretted it ever since. I still wonder what it would do with today's ammo.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I love the 22mag.First was a Marlin tube feed then Winchester 9422 moved the Ruger 77-22 early 90's. Have only pistols now but rifle in the works. I look at it this way 35.00 for a hundred pops of 22mag is better 120.00 for twenty pops of 460 wby. Any plain jane rifle rounds here is 40.00 for twenty rounds be it 30-30 or 30-06. all pistol ammo is at least a dollar per round,what not to like 22mag.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I reamed out my S&W model 17 "Target Master" with it's 8 3/8" barrel to become a 22 Magnum. It did duty as required aircraft survival firearm. And the sweet thing is that it still shoots .22 long rifle ammo in the same cylinder, but the LR ammo is not as accurate as the Mag. ammo now that it is reamed out. If I had it to do all over again, I would leave one chamber .22 Long Rifle, just for the versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I should give a new gun a try with the new ammo. Something's up.

But I got kinda "burned" on the 22 mag decades back, and I'm still a little leery. Thought I just had to have one, and since I had a couple other really fine and accurate Anschutz rifles, saved my pennies and finally afforded a beautiful left handed sporter. Not much ammo to choose from in those days, and I'm not sure the ammo companies put much effort into it. But at it's very, very best that beautiful rifle never once broke 2" at 100 yards, and was more likely to hover around 3". Did all the accurizing possible, and it still wouldn't shoot. It was fine at 50 yards hovering a little over an inch, but why own a 22 mag that didn't top 22LR at best while blowing up eating meat inside 50 yards. Reluctantly traded off that fine rifle, and kind of regretted it ever since. I still wonder what it would do with today's ammo.
    I understood that the .22 mag was sensitive to ammo brands..I ran about six or eight different brands and weights through mine and have come up with 2 my rifle really likes...mine will shoot 1/2 inch or less 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    I understood that the .22 mag was sensitive to ammo brands..I ran about six or eight different brands and weights through mine and have come up with 2 my rifle really likes...mine will shoot 1/2 inch or less 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
    In those days we had WW in HP and solid, and CCI was just starting out. Dat's it. Interesting enough, it's favorite ammo was the old 22WRF, essentially with the same vels as a 22LR and a heavier bullet. But the source for that (WW) was drying up, even back then. Unfortunately the guy I sold it to left the island almost 40 years ago, so there's no way to follow up with him.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I carried a win 9422 many years when running traps - great little cartridge that was fun to shoot. I left mine with open sights and figured it was a 50 yard gun... My b-in-law needed it worse than I did so he has it now, but I think I would take a 22mag before a 17 if the itch got to bad in the future...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have a 22 mag in a Henry Evil Roy lever gun too. I haven't shot it enough to know what it likes. I will leave it iron sighted just cuz lever guns don't spose to wear scopes.

I shot 50 rounds through my Ruger American yesterday. Either it doesn't like CCI 40 gr hollow points or the 40 year old 6x Emedko scope that I just put on it doesn't hold zero. I'm leaning toward the scope. It shot one magazine full all to the same point(close enough) then I let it cool a bit and shot my 223 some. Then went back to the 22 mag. I was using a sand bag on the front and I sorta whack the forearm down into the sand bag so as to settle it in. It's not anything violent, just something that I've done for years without any ill effect. However every time I plop the 22 mag down onto the bag the point of impact changed. My 223 was shooting good enough that it looked like one splatter mark on the gong at 200 yards. I took the scope off of that 223 and put it on the 22 mag last night and will give it another go tonight. I'm thinking all will be good as this 22 mag has always shot other 40 hr hollow points into an inch or less at 50 yards. Which is good enough for what I do with it. I don't know that I have ever shot it at 100. Where I hunt you can't even see 100 yards.

DARN'it...........It looks like Remington has deleted the .22 Magnum cartridge from there "597" line of rimfires.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    DARN'it...........It looks like Remington has deleted the .22 Magnum cartridge from there "597" line of rimfires.
    Yup something funky going on with everything 22 mag. It kinda seems like they are slighting it in favor of the 17HMR. There never has been a shortage HMR ammo and the price comparison around here makes no sense.
    I stopped at the Bass Pro in Altoona, Ia and they had zip for 22 mag. They were suppose to be getting some anytime.

I have a work in progress Remington 597 HEAVY Barrel .22 Magnum, Laminated Stock, that I will never use, and should sell. I was setting it up for winter day hike use. The barrel is now 16 1/4" and needs a crown to look pretty. The stock LOP is shortened for heavy winter clothing (If we ever get winter again). I would sell it at a fair price. Have about four Magazines. The box, etc. I also have a CZ-452 full mannlicker .22 Magnum I should sell.

Take a look at the mag capacity on this. http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistol/pmr-30
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I reamed out my S&W model 17 "Target Master" with it's 8 3/8" barrel to become a 22 Magnum. It did duty as required aircraft survival firearm. And the sweet thing is that it still shoots .22 long rifle ammo in the same cylinder, but the LR ammo is not as accurate as the Mag. ammo now that it is reamed out. If I had it to do all over again, I would leave one chamber .22 Long Rifle, just for the versatility.
    Probably, not a good idea. Have you ever had a case leak gas???

I heard somewhere, you can make an adapter from a mag. case.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I carried a win 9422 many years when running traps - great little cartridge that was fun to shoot. I left mine with open sights and figured it was a 50 yard gun... My b-in-law needed it worse than I did so he has it now, but I think I would take a 22mag before a 17 if the itch got to bad in the future...
    I had me onna them, but I guv it to my Beeg brudder in MO.

Now, I have a BA Savage mdl 93 with a Scope. It is a "Take Down". (There is a big knurled knob under the forend that let's the action come out of the stock).

With the scope, and me shootin it, and stretching it a little, it's a 50 yard gun.

How come EKC has TWO 22 mags. and you and I only have ONE???
    You can't out-give God.

I have a 597 in 22 mag and it used to be a 17 HMR and Remlin changed the barrel for me...shoots OK but not as good as my CZ American. I have Marlin stainless 22 mag and Savage 24 with a 20 ga under it. I converted a Taurus LR revolver to mag and am on the verge of doing the same to a stainless Bearcat...maybe 3 chambers in mag and leave 3 in LR. I also have a Single Six convertable and the LR cyl shoots best with subsonics...mag not so good. Oh yeah...I have one of those little 5 shot North American Arms short barrel pocket things in mag...sure is loud! Had thoughts about a PMR 30 until I shot one and found it's not for me. Hmmm...seems I also have a Contender pistol barrel in mag that shoots great too. I suppose I like the mag too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

The 22 mag and me have had a hot and cold relationship. Currently hot.
    My son got a 22-22mag revolver for Christmas, and we started the continuous search for ammo.
    Strangely, the 22mag ammo seemed to be coming available more often than decent 22LR. Soon we had a good supply and could shoot regularly.
    Sooo . . . . A local gun shop had an older Marlin 22mag. bolt action with tube mag. at a good price that I could not resist. That little rifle shoots great, I even put a scope on it anticipating possible coyote calling.
    Many years ago I sold off a similar rifle because the ammo seemed too expensive @ 8.00/box of 50.
    That one would head shoot grouse all day long, I wish I knew then what I know now!

Ballisticly speaking, 22 mag is a great cartridge. (9 In a Rifle) but less so, in a handgun. Even much less so, depending on how short the barrel.

In one of those very short barrel NAA volvers, might as well have a 22 LR, unless of course you loved muzzle blast.

I used to think that a long barreled handgun in 22 mag would make a great survival gun, since it is more powerful than a 22 LR, but I guess that's debatable.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast