Thread: Bobcat or similar loaded on float plane

Default Bobcat or similar loaded on float plane

Is it possible to load a broken down bobcat on a float plane?
    If so please expound.
    Thanks.
    Jeff

I have experience with Bobcat equipment and a bit with airplanes. If I remember correctly, the useful load on the largest commonly available float plane would be under 3000# on a turbine otter. The smallest bobcat skid steer is an S70 at 2795 lbs. So, weight wise it could be possible. I don't think you'd ever get it in the door, or even unloaded. Added to that, a small wheeled skid steer is virtually worthless in any undeveloped terrain, especially if it is soft.

Sling with a helicopter? no problem. I have a friend that broke down and reassembled an 8000# mini-excavator that they flew in in three trips.. boom, house, tracks and counter weight. They flew out all the parts and reassembled with a spruce pole tri-pod doing the lifting.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Interesting information, I appreciate that.....my parcel is on Kakhonak Lake. It's elevated, not marshy at all, somewhat rocky, a lot of Alders...as usual for most in the area. Perhaps the easier route would be to get it over to Kokhonak in the winter, over the ice, and then from there somehow get it over to the location...??? My preferred log cabin spot is elevated about 50'+, above the waterline, flat and in the ferns. I need something I can prepare the ground, clear the Alders and drag/move logs around easily. And able to lift them in place once the building phase starts.......your suggestion??
    Thanks.

I'd go with a mini excavator especially if you are doing log work. Make sure it has a thumb and blade. Mine weighs 6500 pounds and don't think I would want to go much lighter. Only advantage a bobcat would have would be moving dirt over a distance. I've had mine buried to where I couldn't even see the tracks and you can pull, push, lift, spin and get out. I wouldn't have made it out of the parking lot with a bobcat on the winter trail. Chain the bucket down on a freight sled to make it like a ski and use snowmachine to help pull if is snow is deep. Took me throwing 3/4" plywood for 1/4 a mile to figure that out.

Barge it in. You can get your machine barged from Anchorage all the way to Kakhonak.

Or if it needs to be now, fly one in to Iliana and get it barged over to Kakhonak.

At least 3rd hand info, but a friend of a friend hauled ALL the material for her "cabin".....which made my then lower Hillside home feel inadequate....to her lakeside spot in a ski-equipped DC-3. Would that be an option?

If not, barge.
    Back in AK

Or just hire Jay Friesen to build it and come back when it is done.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com