Thread: Pudelpointers?

Default Pudelpointers?

So the wife is wanting to get another dog, and we are thinking we want a medium-large breed this time. Obviously, I want a hunting companion (waterfowl and upland as I enjoy both) that is good with the family (3 yr old and 1yr old). We currently have a 4.5 yr old pocket beagle female, who is a great family dog, but completely disappointing in the hunting arena! I had high hopes from her originally but she has zero drive and never did.

I've been looking at pudelpointers and they have me intrigued. I have had a pointing lab in the past, and she was a fantastic all around dog, but we are hoping to have a dog with minimal shedding this time. Anybody up here run a pudelpointer, or have experience with them? Any other breed recommendations?

Thanks

Where are you at? I know there are a couple Pudelpointers in Anchorage. My neighbors in Idaho had one as well. I watched a nice pudelpointer pup at the NAVHDA test in Anchorage last week that did very well. If you are in or near Fairbanks you could stop by and meet our Drahthaars. Pudelpointers are one of the foundation breeds used to create Drahthaars so they are very similar. You may also consider a Kurzhaar if you are attracted to thst thpe of dog. I'll send my number in a pm and you can give a call if you like, talking dogs is great fun, especially the German versatile breeds.

How did this turn out? Pudelpointers have the reputation of being allergy friendly. My youngest has a dog allergy and we are hoping to try a Pudelpointer to see how it affects him.

I have hunted with poodle pointers and weimaraners. Both poodle pointers were out of a Idaho Breeder. They were a pretty goofy dog but real loyal and a good hunter. I have to Female Weimaraners. A grey coat and I just got a Blue coat female. The 4yr old grey coat is a good pointer, retriever, swimmer and good behavior. The blue coat is 12 weeks old and growing fast. Hope to have her hunting next year.

Checkout Red Hunting Poodles. Louter is name of breeder in Georgia. I had the same dilemma and wife suggested a standard poodle. I got hold of this breeder and ended up with a fantastic dog.

Sorry guys! Didn't see that this had received some attention recently! I'm still in the research stage, and have been talking with Bob Farris of Cedarwood Gun Dogs in Boise, ID. I'm pretty much sold on giving this breed a try, but his timing of litters next spring probably won't work out with my other obligations. I was hoping for a mid/late summer litter but he prefers to only do spring litters. So odds are I'll be getting a pup in 2018, unless my wife and I do some serious rearranging of a few things.

You can't go wrong with Cedarwood. I researched the breed quite a bit and became sold on them also. I am in Minnesota and got one from Rock Creek Kennels. My boy is 6 1/2 months old and he is a fun dog. I've had flushers prior to this so I am getting help with the training and will run him in a NAVHDA NA test in August. My breeder said he recently shipped a pup up to Anchorage. It took me over a year to get mine but it has been worth the wait as he is a cool pup and I can't wait to hunt him. Good luck.

Glad to hear you like your pp. I've been talking with Bob at Cedarwood for a bit now and here's to hoping he has a pup for me this spring! But if not, I'll probably stick it out and wait for one of his dogs next spring. I really like the line research on his dogs and have chatted with a few people that have gotten pups from him and it seems like everybody has the same story---and it is one I want for myself!

My breeder started his kennel in 1995 I believe with some of Bob's dogs. He had to wait 3 years back then to get one. I hope lady luck is with you and you get a pup this spring.