Thread: Wulik River Float

Default Wulik River Float

I will be heading up for a week long float starting on Sept 1, weather and conditions permitting.

A couple of questions;

Will a certain section of the river, i.e. upper, middle or lower usually be holding more fish and I should therefore spend more time there.

Do beads work well for the sea run char?

Any issues paddling from the end of the river over to Kivalina in my PR49? can that bay or sound get pretty rough?

Thanks

I wouldnt plan to paddle to Kivilina on the salt. the wind will destroy your spirit and possibly drown you....i've seen 5' waves coming off the the Bering Sea around there.

The upper and middle stretch have been my favorite sections for char.

i never have fished with beads, but Dolli lama work well.

It's raining cats and dogs here currently and the forecast calls for it for the next week. There's flood watches for a lot of the small streams around here. I'd keep in touch with your charter pilot and call before coming up to verify if the Wulik will be fishable. There's nothing like being on a flooded river in the rain when trying to fish, trust me. Do beads work? Definitely. I used them last month with great success on another river. Good Luck!
    Attachment 90170
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Pay big attention to flood warnings on that river. I spend quite a bit of time on it in the early 90's surveying. I watched it come up nearly 4' in one 10 hour shift.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My outfitter emailed about the weather conditions, which was very good of him.

Are there any other options to get over to Kivalina from the bottom of the river

your pilot should be able to land on gravel bars in the lower stretch to avoid the salt. Or, ask them for a local contact with a boat and pay for a shuttle p/u. Not overly reliable option but doable.

Do you have a map or Google Earth? It is a very short distance, stay along the shore if it is windy, you are in a brackish lake, not along the surf!!! If the fishing is better on the upper river, why float to the lower end to get picked up? There are big gravel bars everywhere on that river (unless it is flooding). Very windy place over on the Wulik, the Char fishing makes it tolerable. You will need a good tent and bear gun there, not a place for wimps.

We have a group up there right now and we pulled a group 1 off last week. The river is really affected by rain and run off. It can rise fast and keep your pilot from landing on lots of the upper section so be prepared for that.

2 years ago we had a moose?Dolly group hear up and the weather was pure hell. Fishing was a bust but he did bag a nice bull in really rotten conditions.

Leaches..Dolly Lamas egg patterns stripp, stripp, stripp Fish on...Really some of the best fishing it the world for Dollies.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    World Class Dolly fishing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are they still seeing Musk Ox out there? I had a couple aggressive bulls run me into the river back in the day. Lots of good memories there... fly rod in one hand, running a transit with the other..LOL...
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yes, I have looked at it on Google Earth and have printed out the Topo maps. I have a good 4 season tent, bear spray and a bear fence.
    Since it is just me, I am trying to minimize flying costs so was hoping to make it to Kivalina on my own or have a boat take me across. It looks like half a mile across or I could hug these south shore of the "lake" and make my way around

Does anyone know how the river is after this recent storm on Saturday?