Thread: Help me identify make?

Default Help me identify make?

Received a canoe from a friend. It was pretty beat up.
    I have spent some time repairing it, but I can't figure out what canoe this is. Any ideas?
    20160613_131603.jpg20160804_112313.jpg

Here is a picture of the back motor attach area
    20160806_181259.jpg

What's the OAL?

That's usually called a wine glass stern.

18 feet and 40 inches wide

It has a vessel registration number and fairly recent decal. Perhaps DMV has the manufacturer info on it.

Yup. DMV stated it as homebuilt. I don't think it is though. The craftsmanship is quite well done. Thanks for the suggestion!

If I can't figure it out it is fine. I am just curious.

Good luck! There are plenty of knowledgeable canoe folks on the forum, of which I am not one. If you have some more pictures it may help, as well as a description. I assume it is fiberglass throughout? Details of the yoke, seats, and even the gunwales will probably help trigger the right memory for someone. It may also be a finely crafted home-made boat. Good luck with the CSI work!

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

If you can't find an answer log unto BWCA.COM, message board, then submit your question on the Listening point thread. A will almost guarantee they will be able to identify your canoe. The whole website is for canoes enthusiasts. I've watched them identify many canoes.
    May the rivers be crooked and winding, and the portages lonesome, leading to the most "Amazing View".

That's a nice boat! The loa and beam are wrong for a stock David Hazen Micmac but the shape is
    very similar to his Micmac wineglass freighter plans.

Micmac's have a lot of tumble home, or midship bulge, and are considered
    to be a live a little longer in big water shape. I can't quite see if your sides fit this feature.

You think that might possibly be fiberglass over strip cedar? A good cedar strip glass covered hull
    will be lighter than solid glass construction and will be around 5/16 thick in a boat that size. If that boat is light
    for it's size I vote for cedar strip without excess resin. You know the weight?

I run a 20X4 Hazen on 1.2 HP to 5 HP motors. It will not plane like a Mitchraft but will deliver incredible mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSpaniard View Post
    Received a canoe from a friend. It was pretty beat up.
    I have spent some time repairing it, but I can't figure out what canoe this is. Any ideas?
    20160613_131603.jpg20160804_112313.jpg
    That appears to be a canoe I owned at one time. I registered it as Homebuilt because I couldn't figure out what it was. I really liked that canoe. Extremely efficient design. I have a video of it somewhere. I'll look for it.

It was pretty beat up when I owned it. I patched it with splash zone and used it. Great canoe

Sure looks like it! what speeds were you getting with it on the 10 hp merc?

Quote Originally Posted by AKSpaniard View Post
    Sure looks like it! what speeds were you getting with it on the 10 hp merc?
    I never did measure speed but it scooted right along. We would not have bagged that moose without it. The lift allowed us to go way back in the sloughs to hunt and haul out moose. I bought a 19 foot Grumman and sold that canoe. But in many ways that is a better canoe. The wine stem stern makes it very efficient with low horsepower.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com