Thread: bow-picker with jet drive experiences ??

Default bow-picker with jet drive experiences ??

Looking to see if anyone on here has any experience operating a bow-picker with a jet drive single or duel. I think I understand the reason behind the application. I am wondering how they handle in rough seas and with loads ?? Just does not seem like it would do good in the ocean but PWS commercial guys sure seem to like them since it seems like that is what most have in their boats.

Thanks for any imput

They are built for specific purpose, to make a long run to get to the copper river fast skipping over shallow sandbars to save time. Also to get in shallow to set gear, and to dance over a net. Most can only pack up to 8,000 lbs... and depending on the boat that is max hold capacity, not the ability to plane out that load. Some handle just fine in rough seas, but it depends on what you think of rough seas. Southeast has very short tall steep chop they probably wouldn't be good for that, but if your seas are 3' then sure. Are you looking to fish one or use it as a recreational boat? Sure enough they are the "gateway drug" boat for commercial fishing, a starter boat. And you can find some for cheap like $20-$45k.

http://www.fishermensnews.com/story/...icker/207.html
    http://www.fishermensnews.com/story/...icker/137.html

Sobie2

what are you going to use the boat for ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

thanks for the articles Sobie2

The use would be possible commercial fishing and play boat for fun fishing and hunting around south central from March April until December so it could be seeing all kinds of crappy weather.

Yea a bow picker can easily be turned into a landing craft. Convert the bow roller hydraulic lines to use quick connects and convert the bow to a landing craft by carefully cutting the bow and hinging it. Better for people though than for a four wheeler or side by side. Look at how Bayweld makes their boats with a landing craft bow.

Bowpickers are also good for D-class longline operations. Any small fishing operating from pot fishing, longline, and gillnetting. They have their limits. Potbuilder Steve is a man in the know too.

Sobie2

Ya I would not be doing any redesign of the boat like changing the hull. commercial fishier the boat may possibly be used for are gill-netting shrimping and line-longing.

Ya I know Steve has a lot of knowledge about bow-picker and was hoping he had some insight. I also need to stop and see Steve to get some shrimp pot rope.

parts of the reason I was asking about jet drive handling is if not using the boat in shallow waters. I maybe better served with an outdrive for handling in rough conditions. Yes I know Steve does not like outdrive

Bowpickers are only good for one thing, gillnetting on the copper river and in the sound(other areas to but my experience with them is CR & PWS). I had a outdrive rig & you know what i think of outdrives but a also saw lots of jets rigs being worked on when i was in cordova, they ain't perfect either. On the flats out in the deeper water or running in through the waves they would get sliding down the face of waves lose there prime and spin out/broach from no squirt out the back. Don't seem to push weight well and with their fairly flat bottoms like to pound in a good chop. The gas rigs burn LOTS OF FUEL and because they need to run light they usually don't carry much fuel so they always seemed to be looking for tenders to get more fuel. I'm sure a lot of this has changed with the new breed of bigger jet rigs with twin engines(double trouble) burning twice as much fuel and costing big bucks but they carry more weight and most have crews now days(i fished alone). They are great for fishing up against the rockpiles and running over your or other people's corklines but if you do suck up web in the jet you have your hands full trying to clear it.
    In my opinion they suck for sportfishing cause instead of having a nice house to hide behind out of the wind, rain & under a roof or tarp your out there eating spray & rain/wind. Running more than a handful of shrimp pots or longlining also sucks cause the boat is rigged backwards with the house in the way for efficiently handling and setting the gear. Hauling longline over the bowroller is a pita cause your always leaning over and out trying to see whats coming up on the line and twisting your back trying to gaff/land a fish. Setting pots/longlines around the house isn't much fun or you can slowly back it all out and lose a lots of time.
    Like i said they are great for one task and not to much more. If your thinking of buying into the overcapitalized PWS gillnet fishery be prepared to deal with a lot of very hungry aggressive young guys(and some old ones also), the fishery has drastically changed since i got out of it only a few years ago. I'll tell you what i saw of the commercial shrimp fishery there AIN'T NO MONEY IN IT. I don't know much about the PWS halibut longline fishery but everyone that i know that has quota for it has quit fishing the sound and just jump on with one of the homer russians to catch their quota in just about no time.
    You know what a cluster it is just launching a rec boat in the dump at the end of the tunnel well just go and try to load/unload fish/ice/shrimp there and deal with the whitidiots that run the harbor.
    Copper river boats & permits has all kinds of jet rigs for sale at all price points & PWS permits are at 170k or so right now(and going south price-wise). I don't know how the guys that have 400-500k invested in a boat & permit can make any money for themselves after making payments for the boat, permit, insurance and all the other expenses. If you want BS about the fishery or boats call or stop by.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

thanks Steve you kind of answered what I was looking for with how the jets preform in rough sea conditions.
    If I buy one it will probably be with an outdrive that is if