Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 89

Thread: Youth Hunts

  1. #1

    Angry Youth Hunts

    Ill make no friends here! I'm so pissed off! Sheep, are you FN kidding me now a youth hunt well in advance of the Normal Aug 10. I have no need to ***** for in my 36 years in AK I have drawn many a tag. But I know many more who have not and have relied on the GH tags to hunt. Tax paying war fighting folks who took another shot in the rear! I care not if your snotty nose punk arse kids are not recruiting to the outdoors. Hell how about a July 1st worked all my life fought in a war paid my tax's special draw. This crap should end! Sadly it will not. When I grew up we had no special interest we hunted along side our family and took our licks. I have no children and I see the struggles parents go through but putting kids ahead of the afore mentioned hunters is wrong! But who cares.
    Louie

  2. #2
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,452

    Default

    Read worse things in these forums.
    I feel this youth sheep hunt was the most backwards move the BOG has ever made. And I have 5 kids! I think there are better seasons to open for kids if the intent is to get kids hooked on hunting, but when sheep is such a hot button and everyone wants seasons and hunting opportunities limited and numbers are lower than they've ever been. Opening a early season that bypasses the no aircraft spotting restriction is backwards to me. I don't get it.
    Great for a handful of kids and for some dads as well but beyond that I was stunned to see it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  3. #3
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    I have no children
    Nuff said.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

  4. #4
    Member Ken R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I get the intent, but this is ripe for abuse. I know there are some who will do as intended, but would venture there are more who will abuse this privilege.

  5. #5
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    Ill make no friends here! I'm so pissed off! Sheep, are you FN kidding me now a youth hunt well in advance of the Normal Aug 10. I have no need to ***** for in my 36 years in AK I have drawn many a tag. But I know many more who have not and have relied on the GH tags to hunt. Tax paying war fighting folks who took another shot in the rear! I care not if your snotty nose punk arse kids are not recruiting to the outdoors. Hell how about a July 1st worked all my life fought in a war paid my tax's special draw. This crap should end! Sadly it will not. When I grew up we had no special interest we hunted along side our family and took our licks. I have no children and I see the struggles parents go through but putting kids ahead of the afore mentioned hunters is wrong! But who cares.
    Louie
    I'm with you and Jake. This was a crony give-away to wealthy interests.

  6. #6

    Default

    I have two young kids, and they already are obsessed with animals and hunting/fishing. Would I love to take advantage of this youth sheep hunt down the line? Sure, but I don't think it is the right thing to do with the resource. I don't really see the problem with antlerless special hunts or maybe some additional caribou/goat/moose opportunities since the resources appear to be able to withstand the minor increase in pressure. But sheep? This one seems a bit backwards to me.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Markesan, Wisconsin
    Posts
    51

    Default

    If the idea behind a youth hunt is to give the youth a better opportunity at an animal (to try and get them hooked on hunting...getting an animal will usually do that) I'm not quite sure a sheep hunt is achieving this. What 10 year old do you know that wants to hike for miles on steep terrain with a heavy pack to boot? Now I have not hunted sheep before so I guess my imagination of a sheep hunt might not be spot on...

  8. #8
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    If you ever want to see the true ugly, vindictive, jealous emotions of humanity, just mess with sheep hunters and their self perceived "rights". You'll see if every time.

    And when someone disagrees with special treatment, just blame it on the "rich". Works every time.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eielson Farm Road
    Posts
    368

    Default

    I'm glad that this season was started and kids are given the opportunity to hunt before school starts. That was always the thing that pissed me off growing up, the great state of Alaska has school during hunting season. I have never had a problem with this and up untill the 10th I didn't have a child. there are still sheep being harvested after the kids got done. So less time on the computer and more hunting- get after it.

  10. #10
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,452

    Default

    We have black and grizzly bear seasons open year around in Alaska. Plenty of hunting chances before school starts. And with most schools isn't there a week of caribou and sheep season open before school starts?
    Hunting for me was more important than school. If it's important you get your school work, make it up and go hunt. Life's not about being convienent. Also some draw
    Tags and I believe a few general season for moose over Christmas break.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  11. #11

    Default

    I personally only believe in a special conditions hunt for our disabled veterans who received injuries while serving our country. I don't believe youth, bow hunters, muzzle loader hunters, spear throwers, etc, should be given special consideration. I think all residents should hunt under the same season and conditions.

    I have adult children and grand children and they are no better then any other Alaskan residents when it comes to their hunting rights.

    If they want the sheep population to rebound then do away with air planes and limit it to a draw for residents only and one sheep every 5 years with a $500.00 fee if a sheep is taken. Also, if a sheep population is low in an area close it for 6 years and let them flourish We all know that won't happen!

    With out a serious over hauling of the sheep hunting regulations, starting with air plane restrictions on sheep hunters and a state wide residents only sheep draw hunt things will probably only get worse.

    On a more serious note, I have a lot of respect for walk in sheep hunters that have done no aerial spotting of sheep in the year they hunt. They are a tough, hard headed bunch and a breed apart.

  12. #12
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,452

    Default

    You could leave the airplane use in if you went draw. Pressure would be distributed just fine over all habitat. I know if it went draw for residents I'd never apply. Nor would I pay 500 bucks for a sheep. So that increases everyone else's odds right there lol
    Put sheep up there with buffalo and muskox tags. That'd cure it. Till we had a bad winter and sheep all disappear anyway....
    I digress this dead horse has been abused....

    I guess there's a drive to try and "lure" youth out into the woods with these special hunts. I know when I was a kid I didn't need any lure to get me out the door! Dad packing his gear drove me as crazy as a bird dog getting left behind as the truck loads up!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  13. #13
    Member .300wby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Spot on! couldn't agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I personally only believe in a special conditions hunt for our disabled veterans who received injuries while serving our country. I don't believe youth, bow hunters, muzzle loader hunters, spear throwers, etc, should be given special consideration. I think all residents should hunt under the same season and conditions.

    I have adult children and grand children and they are no better then any other Alaskan residents when it comes to their hunting rights.

    If they want the sheep population to rebound then do away with air planes and limit it to a draw for residents only and one sheep every 5 years with a $500.00 fee if a sheep is taken. Also, if a sheep population is low in an area close it for 6 years and let them flourish We all know that won't happen!

    With out a serious over hauling of the sheep hunting regulations, starting with air plane restrictions on sheep hunters and a state wide residents only sheep draw hunt things will probably only get worse.

    On a more serious note, I have a lot of respect for walk in sheep hunters that have done no aerial spotting of sheep in the year they hunt. They are a tough, hard headed bunch and a breed apart.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eielson Farm Road
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    We have black and grizzly bear seasons open year around in Alaska. Plenty of hunting chances before school starts. And with most schools isn't there a week of caribou and sheep season open before school starts?
    Hunting for me was more important than school. If it's important you get your school work, make it up and go hunt. Life's not about being convienent. Also some draw
    Tags and I believe a few general season for moose over Christmas break.

    true, I never went to school during hunting season. So just because bears are open year round that's what a kid should hunt? ALL game in this state has had season changes and new hunts started- this is no different. I'm not going to tell anyone how to raise their kids and hunting is part of raising a Alaskan kid.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I personally only believe in a special conditions hunt for our disabled veterans who received injuries while serving our country.
    OK, I have to take exception to this one. While I have the utmost respect for disabled vets, it is a system that was and is abused to this day. I served and I guess I was lucky that I never took a bullet or had an IED detonate next to me. I'm also lucky that I wore the proper hearing protection and the correct footwear. I have friends that served in the same environment as me and did not take the same precautions and they are now receiving VA checks because they have hearing loss or bad knees. This country already gives a lot to our vets and I think they deserve it, but at what point does it end? At what point does it turn from honoring them to simply pandering to them? There are guys that are classified as "disabled" that will run circles around 90% of the people on this forum going uphill with a sheep on their backs...and they need special treatment because???? Again, no disrespect to the guys, but we need to revisit what we consider as disabled before we simply start handing out tags.

  16. #16

    Default

    I think the youth hunt is a great idea.

    Notice that all the negativity is from people not out sheep hunting the opener!

    Really, how many sheep are young hunters going to take? I think it's a great way for Alaskan residents to slap out of state guides in the face by taking their youth into the 'locked up' areas and hunting those areas before the guides dominate them the rest of the season.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Really, how many sheep are young hunters going to take?
    I asked the sealing officer in Palmer how many had been sealed from the youth hunt as of August 16th. He came up with a statewide estimate of 7 or so. Apparently a few were pigs, but regardless, it doesn't sound like it's much of a resource concern.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I think the youth hunt is a great idea.

    Notice that all the negativity is from people not out sheep hunting the opener!

    Really, how many sheep are young hunters going to take? I think it's a great way for Alaskan residents to slap out of state guides in the face by taking their youth into the 'locked up' areas and hunting those areas before the guides dominate them the rest of the season.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree. No offense to those who think differently but I think the people that are going to be the most frustrated by this is the non-resident hunters and the guides. I for one would like to take my boys hunting before school starts. If the sheep numbers need to be restricted, just go to draw instead of a general harvest. Most guys don't need to take a sheep every year for subsistence. Those scenarios are probably far and few in between. And kids don't get to decide when school starts. Those decisions are made by the school district. Missing a week of school is harder to make up nowadays than it was when we were kids. When I was a kid hunting season was almost like a given vacation. Teachers just pretty much excused kids from all their work. Nowadays, a kid comes home from a hunt and has twice as much work as the next kid in school. I like the new change. Just my two cents.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Well, I would prefer an earlier season for caribou and moose as a youth hunt as that is terrain I am more likely to take a kid. I don't see the benefit of a kid hunt for such a limited resource.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

  20. #20
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,452

    Default

    I'm ready for some early season youth goat, moose and teir 1 caribou openers for youth. Just don't see the logic in sheep.
    Slapping out of state guides?! Lol you could do that by just showing up in the "locked up" areas, smiling and then dominating the sheep. Figure out away around their scheming and have a great hunt. As Brian said, only a handful of sheep taken, not a big slap. I looked at palmers books, only two youth Rams. One legal, one not.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •