Thread: 1875 JMAX Extreme Shallow Reverse Issue

Default 1875 JMAX Extreme Shallow Reverse Issue

Has anyone figured out a way to prevent the reverse bucket on a 1875 jmax xtreme shallow from locking up? This occurs in shallow water when reverse is used and a rock or some type of debris is shot up into the bucket and jammed along side the bucket and pump. I have seen a few threads on here regarding this issue but have not came across a fix. Wondering if someone has developed a mod to prevent this from happening. This locks the throttle in reverse and cannot move the throttle until you physically go back and get the debris out of the nozzle/bucket spacing.

I don't have the sport jet, but I have had the same problem. I sanded between my bucket and the nozzle to give a little more clearance, then I also attached a small bungee rope to always pull the reverse bucket upward a little. I acknowledge that in doing so I may have lost some reverse thrust, but I haven't noticed. I also haven't had my reverse bucket get stuck since doing that 3 years ago.

My thought process on the bungee is: with always having the upward pressure it jostles itself if when I go from reverse to forward. I may be wrong, but it has worked for me .

I also have had the same problem with my 1875 extreme shallow. The reverse bucket will also jam up if you push the boat back in shallow water, and the bucket pushes up gravel. I have had the same problem with my old boat too. The best way is to keep the rocks out of the bucket path. Push your boat away from shore with the bucket up, motor not running. Then start the motor and go in reverse. Don't try to reverse through shallow water scrapping up gravel you are asking for trouble. If you get stuck on a sand or gravel bar get out and push shove spin the boat around, leave the bucket up and you should not have any more jamming up. One more thing for you to consider. When you use the stump grate shut down your motor, if the motor is running when you use the stump grate there is a possibility of sucking up rocks or debris through the jet unit as you are pushing water through the jet. Happy boating to you.

Instead of trying to fix the bucket remove the problem. Bring a shovel with you to dig out the sand and rocks from getting into the bucket.

you are one funny guy MacGyver