Thread: Delta Cranes

Default Delta Cranes

I have the chance to spend two weeks in Delta for works. Does anybody have any advance on cranes? I will be up there the first 10 days of the season. I assume there should be plenty around during that time as I have heard that earlier are better. Is there much for access or mainly private land access on fields? What is the most common method for cranes do people actually get any over decoy type set ups for other waterfowl or is it more of a spot and jump them situation. Thanks for any advice you can give me ( I hope I can get the chance to try the ribeye in the sky) or so I have heard.

Well I wish I could help with the info but all I can offer is these photos I took last Sept.
    Once they start flying south, flocks like this fly over every 5 mins all day long. Quite an amazing sight.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Looks like fun! I grew up in Nebraska were something like 90% of Sandhills cranes migrate through in spring, so Nebraska can't hunt them at all! Would be awesome to be able to get one so I can try it! Thanks for the photos!

Crane migrations are very difficult or nearly impossible to predict. Last year was very poor as there were only a few around for opening and there was about a three hour flying frenzy on the 13th. Other than that it was a poor crane and goose hunting season. With the early spring and early harvest we are experiencing, I suspect that many cranes and geese will be gone prior to season.

Good luck with jump shooting cranes, they are a very wise bird on the ground. Locate their flyway, try for access, get in the middle of their path. They play follow the leader.great eating bird

A few years ago we were lucky enough to get between the cranes and the gravel bar they were flying to daily, they do play follow the leader and will stay with a routine that can make a great hunt if you can get lucky enough to pattern them for a day or two. Good Luck.

Quite a lot of geese arrived last week but most have already left and I'm expecting something similar with the cranes. It doesn't look great again for this year.

Thanks for the update, it will be interesting to see. Thanks

Looking very bleak!

There were a couple of flights of cranes heading over Portage Pass on Tuesday for those interested in the Anchorage area. I also saw a large group outside the fairgrounds in Palmer on Saturday. It seems a bit early.

A local friend hunts geese and cranes every day in September. Yesterday was day 10 in the season and he's half way through his first box of shells.

Not a good season!

Coming up this weekend to hunt with a buddy who lives up that way. Any updated migration reports. Looks like temps are dropping north west of there and fairbanks. I would think they should be moving pretty quickly
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Coming up this weekend to hunt with a buddy who lives up that way. Any updated migration reports. Looks like temps are dropping north west of there and fairbanks. I would think they should be moving pretty quickly

From what ive seen down here on the KP, I'd say u better hurry. I've been watching lots of huge flocks passing over for a week here. Can't be too many left up north.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Last week I saw several flocks flying south up there and only saw one clock on the ground!

Yep they started flying south on the 9th over the Granites and thousands of birds flew over for 3 days after.

Quite an amazing sight.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

As mentioned above.....tremendous flights of cranes going over but not landing. Zero geese lately.

They have been in the Petersburg area all week.