Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRWNBR -Jake Jefferson ram hunt

Default BRWNBR -Jake Jefferson ram hunt

I'm not much of a story teller but here it goes. First some boring details. When my son's graduated high school, one went to college and other to work. Mike went to college and has done very well and is done this fall. I decided I owe his brother mitch something special since so much was spent on his brother. Mitch picked an Alaskan hunt. After lots of searching and emails, I put our hunt in Jakes hands. I'm only a blue collar worker and the hunt will cost a half years salary so I took alot of time choosing a guide to get the best "family " experience. I never spoke with Jake till he picked us up at the hotel. Txting only and through txts I was very comfortable. After going back to his house and getting packs ready to go we went to the float plane to start what would be beyond all of our wildest dreams even for Jake. Flight in was spectacular scenery for a couple of Pa guys. We seen a small "puddle" out the window and when the plane turned to land ,I thought no way it's landing on that little thing. Well it did and very smooth at that. We packed up and started walking back into the mts and the whole tI'm our mouths were wide open just beautiful country. After a 3 mile walk we set up for camp. Couldn't have been any better because out our tent opening was a ram about 1000 yards away. Too small but still that is what we came to see and already had one out our tent to watch. In the morning 16 ewes and lambs were on opposite side of the ram,great opening day. Packed up and started walking again and of course it rained off and on all day. We got farther back in valley and 3 more rams showed up so Jake set up a tarp so we can take a break out of the rain and watch them. Unfortunately they weren't big enough either but he spotted 2 more back where we came from way back in a draw.it took awhile to get a good look but they were also too small. Good thing I have no idea how we were getting to them. So we pack up and start walking, day one 4 hours into the day and we seen 23 sheep. We start heading up through a pass and the good walking was now gone.nothing but up and all rocks, not Pa rocks but jagged Alaskan rock.we got to the start of the pass it again it was raining so out comes the tarp. Thank goodness my son and I were soaked in sweat and rain. A break was needed and at this time out comes the fresh salmon spread and bagels. Definitely not peanut butter and jelly like some outfitters serve. We were now within 200 yards of the group of 3 rams so Jake climbed up and took a real close look. They didn't grow any in last couple hours so on we went. Fog was real thick going through the pass so no chance to see anything but the rocks that surrounded us. Once out the other side the fog lifted so we can see out but still couldn't see up where the sheep are. The view was enough to make a Pa guy get a tear just knowing I'm seeing something so few get to see and it will also be my only time. We walked on and the rocks got worse because now it was time to go down them. I admit, watching my son go through areas where one mistake can cost you your life, was very nerve racking. Jake is part sheep. He goes through them rocks with all that weight like he's on a beach. Up until now hunt is going smoothly and just like other sheep hunts, but that is about to change with one very bad mistake by me..........

I'm hooked
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

So we are half through the pass when we stop to refill water bottles out of a small lake when my son says "I can't believe I'm actually here in a place like this". I said your probably one of a 100 in last decade. Jake said alot less than that. I asked how many other clients have you brought through that pass and he said"4 and never seen anybody in here either". That was one of those moments where you take a much better look around and realize just how special of a place it was. We put the packs back on, my son and I had to help each otherput them on at this point, and keep going. Awhile later we come to the end of the rocks and done below is a big open meadow about a mile across. Jake already has his spotter out and finds a ram 2 miles away. He turns and says "I'm %100 sure it's legal but not quite %100". We read between the lines and excitement level grew. He asked if we could make it to the bottom to camp so we can keep an I on him. Of course we said yes. Well 10 minutes later I miss judged the ground level going down hill and the 80lbs of pack weight finally got to me. My knee made a loud pop sound and bent back under neath me. Jake said I screamed like a girl I say it was a manly yell. It turned out I had a complete quad tendon rupture. ( surgery on the 20th the exact day we were supposed to come home from hunt). A few minutes went buy and pain eased up so Jake put my pack on his and walked down off the mt to camp site. Again he is part sheep,it had to be a total of 150lbs or more. I stiff leg it down and him and my son set up camp. The whole time Jake is keeping an eye on the ram a half mile away in a slide. My son and I get changed into some more comfortable out fits and Jake brings us some hot food. My son has 1 bite out of his food when Jake said "Mitch are you dressed ". He said sorta, why? Ram is coming down we have to go. Mitch starts putting all his wet clothes on as fast as he can. Jake shoveling his food in as fast as he can and off they go. Not much time goes by when the first shot goes off. I crawl to door of tent but door is not on the side where they are so I can't see. I try to climb out but cant. I here no follow up shot so I get a little emotional knowing 1)he just got s ram 2) I wasn't able to see it take place. Then shots 2 3 4 5 go off at a steady but quick pace! Now all I can picture is a ram running over a mountain so I go from extreme happiness to a profanity filled tirade. I crawl my a#! out of the tent cursing from pain and a ram getting away. I see Jake behind some rocks then my son walking across a drainage towards a ram laying down with blood coming out of 3 areas. Front shoulder area was obviously destroyed so I knew he wasn't going anywhere. Ram decided to give it 1 more try and stands up. Son forgot to turn down turret on the leupold vx6 from 350 to 200 and just shot right over him with 2 shots. Ram took a couple steps and fell again. Needless to say we didn't sleep that much thinking of just how big the ram was and how the #/^&# are we getting out of here. Jakes guiding skills will be tested to its max with the situation I caused.

You started by stating that you're not much of a story teller, but that's obviously not true at all - this is an excellent story! Thanks for sharing it with us! I think we're all looking forward to hearing the rest if you're willing to continue.

Hook, line, and sinker
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Fantastic story, I love hearing it from the perspective of Dad! Congrats to you and your son. What part of PA are you from? I grew up in Erie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I need more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story so far!
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

....gotta hear how this plays out

I like to start these stories a few hours after they've been posted, so I don't get caught by any cliff hangers. Didn't wait long enough!

Ok I'm back and will try and finish up today because tomorrow is the operation and with the pain meds it might end up with me shooting a giraffe in my back yard. To answer a quick question we are from a small town north of wilkesbarre pa. There is a detail I purposely left out because it's no big deal to my son and I but I realize now it will add some drama. My twin boys were 1 month premature and Mitch's immune system didn't fully develop. At the age of 3 he had a lengthy illness and his immune system attacked his pancreas leaving him a type 1 diabetic. I told Jake this on the drive to the float plane and his response was exactly what i expected from him"what does this mean"? I said nothing to you but on the first day we might need a couple extra stops till he can adjust the insulin dose . He said "we can stop as many times as you need" and conversation went back to the hunt ahead. Jake now has his work cut out for him. There is a broomer ram with a base of 14 inches and 35 in length laying a half mile away and a 51 year old 190 lb hunter laying in a tent with a leg turning a pretty black color. After re-living the stalk and the shots over a few times it turned to getting out of here. Jakes first thought was a helicopter. Sounds easy to me . So I mentioned I'll take my gear and sons gear in chopper and they can carry the ram out the 12 miles to the pick up site. Jake give me the your an idiot look,I got used to that look (lol). He said all gear used and needed by the hunter can not leave in chopper. He mentioned that once he flew over an old run way about 5 miles down stream from our location. He had no idea if it was still usable or its exact location. Then if it was usable ,finding a super cub plane the 3rd day of sheep season,would be impossible. Then the weather was fog and rain every day so getting a clear day to fly us out was another problem. Seemed like too many miracles needed to pull this off. The next morning I put 2 ace bandages and a knee brace (I had brace on other knee when i fell that was my bad knee)on the to make whole leg as stiff as possible and with the help of the hiking poles I was able to walk stiff legged. The plan was i follow the creek while they go cut up the ram and then they meet up with me. Ihad them fill up pack with sleeping bags,wet clothes and other bulky items. Jake then said you need the gun because this is grizzly country.I took a couple 2 three strong pain pills and had them put the pack on me. They went there way and I went mine. I made it about a half mile when they caught up to me. My first look at the horns and it was impressive! I could tell my son was extremely happy and as proud of them as I was. We kept going taking breaks as needed Jake carrying 100 plus Mitch carrying 80 plus and me catching up when they stopped for a break. Jake decided to cross the creek to try and get to a higher advantage point to try and find air strip. Water was up his hips and almost fell twice. No way mitch and I could cross ,plus air strip was on our side so we kept going. We were completely exhausted and soaked,rained off and on all day. We had a carribou run out in front if us on the way out so we scratched that off our list of game to see.Just when we couldn't Jakeep showed up to help the last quarter mile,taking my son's pack. Great news he found the air strip and it's usable. He also found a pilot that is available tomorrow. He is earning the tittle MASTER GUIDE. That night was a relaxing night. Jake cooked up some ram and I expected a 9 year old ram to be tough but it was very tender and tasty. We ate great ,no peanut butter and jelly. Fresh salmon mac & cheese rice and chicken etc. Jake brings great food. Jake sat with us in our tent telling some awesome stories then later that night mitch sat in his getting more of those great stories. One other cool thing we seen lots of and that was rock slides. With all the rain the slides were very active. The next morning the fog lifted and the pilot was on his way. While waiting we were treated to another first for us, 3 sonic booms from fighter jets. That was just the icing on the cake for an action packed hunt of a lifetime. The plane showed up right on time and took us out one at a time . Jake was the last to leave and he said the clouds and rain were moving in from behind them most likely making it difficult to fly anymore. I thank Jake and his wonderful family for the best adventure a father and son could ask for. Im not sure if I could get a couple pics up . I'm tech stupid,but Jake posted I pic on a thread he started. I have lots of free time coming up so I'm going to make a couple of comments about gear for NR hunters planning hunt to alaska. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

5030.jpg pic of son and ram

20160812_160229.jpg Jake shooting his 10mm

Charterboat Operator

Great write up, thanks for sharing..

Great write up! Been a while since I read a good hunt story! Almost felt like I was right there with you!!! Haha oh wait....
    Snocross did an amazing job of not quiting or giving up. A great optimistic attitude is what made this trip so amazing! Less folks would have laid down and cried because of the misfortune. He made the most of it, constantly telling me he has no regrets! Was a joy to share Alaska with these guys, they deserve the ram they got!
    Here's a larger version of the same picture...

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Snocross is as scrappy as the old ram was
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for sharing

That was a fun story to read - thanks.

Great story! Thanks for sharing the memory with a fella who will never be able to make that trip due to neck and knee injuries.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast