Thread: New Mod. 70 trigger?

Default New Mod. 70 trigger?

I am a big fan of the original Mod. 70 trigger and for that reason I have not bought a new Mod. 70 even though they look great.

Any of you have any experience with the new trigger? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am a big fan of the original Mod. 70 trigger and for that reason I have not bought a new Mod. 70 even though they look great.

Any of you have any experience with the new trigger? I would like to hear your thoughts.
    I have FN model 70 in 243. It's a a good shooter and the perceived trigger pull is very good. It's only about a year old and I have never had the wood off of it to look at the trigger. However it feels as good as a tuned pre 64 trigger to me.

I have a mental hang up about putting the first ding in a new walnut stock. It would almost be better for this old fart if someone would put a scratch or two on them at the factory so I wouldn't have the first scratch phobia. I have been leaving the 70 in hiding and have been using a butt ugly Remington 783/243 cuz it's already as ugly as a red headed step child but shoots almost as good as the 70.

To answer your original question.....I certainly have no complaints about the trigger in my new model 70.

I admit to having a bit of a trigger phobia, but it is still the most important part of a rifle to me. I know a local guy who is a serious shooter and he has a new Mod. 70 .243 with the new M.O.A. trigger and he loves it. It won't be my take every where do it all big game rifle so i could probably live with the trigger. and hope it is reliable.

I hear ya about dings in a pretty rifle. I recently completed restoring/customizing my Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and put a new Leupold 1.75 x 6 Leupold VXIII on it after I had there custom shop put the Post/Cross Hair reticle in it. I will baby it on the up comming moose and caribou hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I admit to having a bit of a trigger phobia, but it is still the most important part of a rifle to me. I know a local guy who is a serious shooter and he has a new Mod. 70 .243 with the new M.O.A. trigger and he loves it. It won't be my take every where do it all big game rifle so i could probably live with the trigger. and hope it is reliable.

I hear ya about dings in a pretty rifle. I recently completed restoring/customizing my Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and put a new Leupold 1.75 x 6 Leupold VXIII on it after I had there custom shop put the Post/Cross Hair reticle in it. I will baby it on the up comming moose and caribou hunt.
    Ha, I wouldn't be able to hunt with that one. I'd be so conscious of cradling it like a baby....and admiring it that I might be oblivious to what the critters were doing....and I hate that about me. It comes from hunting with so many beaters in my younger day that I really do appreciate a nice one.

I have an FN M-70 .300 WM with the MOA trigger, I like it. It's adjusted at the factory at 3.7 lbs, but feels like my almost as good as my timmney. I'll adjust it to 3 lbs and leave it alone although I've read it'll only adjust down to 3.2, we'll see. Bottom line is its a nice trigger.

I have a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather SS in .243, with the Morgan, Utah roll mark on the barrel. It has the excellent M.O.A. Trigger. I have no complaints about it.

I haven't shot a Pre-64, the New Haven, or the current FN (Portugal?) production M70. So I can't really compare against those. But my current set up is pretty sweet. I imagine the current M70 trigger, also the M.O.A., is also great.