Thread: best ways to fish for kings at 125-250 feet?

Default best ways to fish for kings at 125-250 feet?

So this past weekend we were fishing in and I was marking a lot of stuff in the 125'-250' on the fish finder in an area of 250' constant water depth. The problem of fishing down riggers at depths greater than 90' is blow back on the wire and fishing lines, and this is even using 15lb pancake weights. The only thing I can think of might be to fish with a rod at those depths would be to fish a bare herring or cut plug on a halibut spreader bar and a 2lb weight, and drift (but the current moves you along at a good clip).

Suppose I got a commercial hand troll gurdy and fished a 30lb weight I would still have the problem of fishing line blow back and the annoying down rigger clip releasing all the time. Any kinds of down rigger clips that could hold on better?

Any other ideas out there?

Sobie2

I use the heavy offshore release clips. I have had my riggers down as far as 180 feet this year. My downrigger rods have 30# fireline on them and since they are a smaller diameter, I use the loop method in the release to prevent them from pulling out (it actually takes a pretty good tug to get them to come out - shakers usually won't cause it to release). I prefer the fireline because the thinner diameter helps reduce the line drag when fishing that deep.

Go to spectra on the downriggers, 150-200lb should work fine and cut your blow back, especially with 15lb cakes.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Easy. Mooch. I caught a 42 lb king outside of Noyes last year at 240 feet. It can be a challenge with drift and current, but I love to mooch at depth.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    So this past weekend we were fishing in and I was marking a lot of stuff in the 125'-250' on the fish finder in an area of 250' constant water depth. The problem of fishing down riggers at depths greater than 90' is blow back on the wire and fishing lines, and this is even using 15lb pancake weights. The only thing I can think of might be to fish with a rod at those depths would be to fish a bare herring or cut plug on a halibut spreader bar and a 2lb weight, and drift (but the current moves you along at a good clip).

Suppose I got a commercial hand troll gurdy and fished a 30lb weight I would still have the problem of fishing line blow back and the annoying down rigger clip releasing all the time. Any kinds of down rigger clips that could hold on better?

Any other ideas out there?

Sobie2
    These are handy for stacking but also nice when you want to change the release tension: https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-S.../dp/B0054R68ZK

When trolling, I just add a little "fudge factor" for the blowback. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I crewed on a highline commercial troller down on the west coast. Early season we regularly trolled up kings from 80 fathoms (480 feet) in 100-120 fathoms of water. Sure we were using 50# balls, but in fact the wire was really heavy and we had 6 spreads with large flashers on each wire. Blowback was estimated at 30 degrees at 2.5 knots and 15 degrees at 1.5 knots where we did most of our trolling. Just factor it in.

On sport boats I've pulled kings from bait layers we spotted at 280' in around 350' of water using 12# balls and braid. At the 1.8mph we were fishing with only one line per downrigger and no flashers, blowback was nowhere near the 30 degrees I experienced while commercial trolling. I did a thumbnail estimate of amount of braid needed out at that speed and depth at around 350'. Must have been pretty close to right because we tapped out so fast we couldn't get two lines down at once. Ended up just sending one line down at a time and hooking up almost the instant it got to 350'.

Nice thing with braid too, being finer it's no problem to get 500-600' on a downrigger.

Saying all that, I'm not a real fan of such deep trolling. Much rather mooch with herring, or better yet jig with dart jigs. The jigs are tops for deep fishing in my book, cuzz no tangles and fast sinks. We do so much fishing where the amount of line off the reel means something, I've completely done the boat over with Shimano Tekota 300LC line counter reels. Kind of a grunt buying 6 of them at once, but dandy, dandy drags and near bulletproof construction. Only thing to know, you need to "calibrate" the line counters a bit. When you get past about 70' they're letting out about 10' less line that what the reel sezz. At 150' it's 20' less and at 250' it's close to 40' less. Just do it (stop the boat and put on a weight, then lower down to different depths under the transducer, and note the difference between what the reel sezz and what the fishfinder sezz), then keep it in mind when letting gear out without the fishfinder to help you set depths.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks for the advice! I will attack with mooching (after I buy one of those reels with a counter on it), then try jigging Pt. Wilson Darts, and buy some snazzy down rigger release clips. If successful I'll try to remember to post some photos.

Sobie2

If successful I'll try to remember to post some photos.
    Do it! Looking forward to smiles.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

After a false start on Saturday (bad fuel), I got out Sunday and gave it a serious effort all day to no avail. But nobody else was catching and people at the launch ramp were singing the blues too. There was stuff on the finder down deep, and lots of boats, but nothing bit, and no boats were hooking up so darn.

Sobie2

I can however attest to the effectiveness of the $36.00 Mr. Funnel fuel filter!

Sobie2

Gak! You could hardly call that stuff fuel. Speaks volumes about the filter.
    Merle Haggard

Nate,

Give these a try. I swear by them for deeper water mooching. I like the 6 and 8. Best thing about them for me is never a worry about short leader issues.

http://www.evansmfgco.com/products/m...rine-products/

Thanks! I actually have four of those. I have tried them a lot and they are fishy for sure. I haven't hooked up with a salmon on one but they nail the rock fish. I took those and immediately threaded them onto 50 lb mono leaders.

Sobie2

Thanks! I actually have four of those. I have tried them a lot and they are fishy for sure. I haven't hooked up with a salmon on one but they nail the rock fish. I took those and immediately threaded them onto 50 lb mono leaders.

Sobie2
    One thing that helps me is increasing my retrieval speed on the mooch. Drop speed doesn't change, but I reel much quicker on the uptake to get a good spin.

Oh that is some good information. I never worked the retrieval speed. I only was fishing it on the drop. Dang now I have to wait for an open evening after work or next weekend.

Sobie2