Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking tent

Default Backpacking tent

I'm headed out in a solo goat hunt and want recommendations on a good tent.
    Looking for a light tent that can stand up to strong winds. Plus that doesn't take allot of room in my pack.
    I have an old walrus tent that I can use , but it just seems heavy
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I know you said solo but..... I just picked up a Nemo hornet 2. For one guy its spacious. You and gear inside. Has 2 vestibules, weighs 2 lbs and seems to be holding well. I haven't had to guy it out yet but I did have to set it up in 1 inch of standing water and it didn't leak. I get it squished down to about the size of a softball as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I see it's a single poke system.
    Is it strong enough for strong winds ?

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I see it's a single poke system.
    Is it strong enough for strong winds ?

I haven't had to set it in real strong wind yet. It seems sturdy with plenty of area to tie rope to. It has velcro inside to make sure the fly stays put on the poles. I've had it in mild wind and it had no issue.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Check out hilleberg tents. They are the best of the best.

Hilleberg are the best, but you're going to pay a lot for them. If you're more on the budget side check out the MSR Hubba Hubba, I've been using mine for a couple years and had no issues. I've heard great things about Mountain Hardware tents as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Got my first hilleberg tent this year. It is by far the WETTEST tent I have ever slept in!! I've only seen condensation that bad in a single walked tent on kodiak! It dripped on the inside of the fly and on the inside of the tent body! Hated every night.
    Before I had used a mtn hardware pct 1 and a meridian 1 with never a problem and a seirra designs one man tent that I loved!! Never a condensation issue in 12 years of use! Those were all $180 tents. I'm strongly looking at a eureka spitfire 1 right now. Hilly tents to me are now just another over priced name brand. No thanks.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What kind of hille jake? Did you open up the vents? I leave the vestibule slightly open to the inner on my nallo 3gt. It does get some condensation, but not a ton.

ENAN. No real vents to open ends are open. Fly don't come all the way to the ground either. I was just blown away by the water in that thing. Talked with others since and have heard Hilli's are some of the worst for condesation. Understanding weather conditions do play a factor.
    Master guide 212

I've used a lot of different hillebergs and condensation can sometimes be a problem. I'm looking forward to trying to Kuiu Storm star as much as it kills me to have a Kuiu tent.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I'm strongly looking at a eureka spitfire 1 right now. Hilly tents to me are now just another over priced name brand. No thanks.
    Probably a reason they've been making tents for EVER !!!! When I was there EONS ago, Eurekas had the reputation of standing up to winds and storms.
    Not the lightest tent, but probably best for the $$$.

i've been using hilleberg tents for years. in my opinion, they are hands down the most durable tents out there; i have never had an issue with pole breakage, leaks, etc. it's a four season tent so the outer tent goes all the way to the ground, unlike an ordinary rain fly. so that of course means less ventilation. however, there are ways to alleviate condensation issues. all of the benefits associated with hilleberg- durability, design, customer service, peace of mind- grossly outweigh any perceived negative aspects. one of the nicer things about these tents is that if it's a howlin' sh-t storm out there, it's a simple pitch and the inside always stays dry; no fumbling around with a rain fly. and as far as price is concerned, you get what you pay for with hilleberg. they're **** good tents. my 2 cents.

The hillies come in different grades now, red label, yellow label and black label. Not all are four season and not all have a fly all the way to the ground. They only pitch dry if there's no condensation inside the tent body when you take it and roll it up! The design of the ENAN isn't great, every time you sit up there is head contact with the inner tent, which for me was soaked every day. In 19 years of guiding and thousands of days in the field in various model tents I have no memory of a bad tent experience, until I bought my first hilleberg. I've had one pole break, one and one fly rip. And that was my fault. Took a tent to kodiak to see if it would hold up. I've sat in 100mph winds in one man tents on kodiak for goats, a foot of snow, weeks of pouring rain, sideways storms. Never had a water issue like I did with my hilleberg in three nights of rain.
    Maybe their other tent models are designed better with better vent options, maybe I struck out on the ENAN. I've got cabelas four season tents you can seal up and almost suffocate in, zero condesation issues. I believe tent material plays a huge roll in how moisture is handled. So now I'm on my search for another one man tent that I won't be embarrassed to stick my clients in.
    Master guide 212

Worse condensation experience for me was a sheep hunt in a single-wall Black Diamond HiLight...terrible. Last year sheep hunt was in a 3.5 lb KUIU Morning Star, which did me really well for a week of poor weather in the Talkeetnas, including snow/rain storms on the mountain side...wind wasn't gale-force, but it blew pretty strong a couple of nights. I was planning to take it again this year, but hunting partner had a major pre-trip injury days before leaving...we didn't go.

I've taken my Hilleberg Staika on many remote hunting trips, and I'm taking it again next month for three weeks. Never experienced a single drop of condensation whatsoever, but it is a different design than what has been referenced in this thread thus far. The Staika is extremely well-vented and totally bomb-proof, but I'd not take that heavy rig on a back-packing trip without a pack-mule.

I like my nallo3gt. I spray it with camp dry every time i get home from a trip. It has had a couple small tears at the entry door that we fixed. I have no exp with the enan.

I'm using a kifaru supertarp right now and love it so far.
    I take a small chunk of tyvek as a groundsheet.
    I erect it with my reeking poles and it weighs in at 15 oz

I don't think they're making them new any longer, but I'm loving my Marmot Grid 2p. It's a good balance of size and strength to me. I also have a Kifaru paratarp and a GoLite SL3 that would work as lighter shelters, but when the weather turns to serious crap it's nice to have something that's burly - I'll gladly carry a couple extra pounds for those moments. I had my Marmot tent in 75+mph winds up on my Delta hunt two years ago and it performed flawlessly.

Ended up buying the MSR HUBBA NX
    From leoadventure
    Saved $170

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Was going to take my walrus ARC/3
    But when I found out it was 9 pounds, I knew I had to get a lighter tent

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hilleberg just emailed me back.
    They carry a towel to dry their inside of the tents and put gor tex coats over their sleeping bags to keep them dry!!!
    WHAT ON EARTH?!?!
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast