Thread: Action Packers and Coolers

Default Action Packers and Coolers

Getting close to "that time", so I'm starting to get things sorted out.
    Never hunted out of a raft before and was wondering if you gents stick to dry bags and other "soft" storage, or do you take Action Packers at all? Could you keep the hard cases on the floor if rigged as a self-bailer (Levitator).
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Action packers do Not seal and when rained on will weep water into the box due to the design.
    (Assuming you're looking for water tight box in the raft).
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Not looking for waterproof for what I'd store in the AP. Just wondering about abrasion on the bottom of the raft with hard storage. Never rains in The Yukon anyway......
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I find action packers indispensable for any outdoor activity. Can't speak to abrasion because I prefer to keep stuff off the floor. Get a gear loft or find another way to suspend. Just my $.02

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Attachment 90121

Somewhere in that mess is an action packer and some dry bags, whatever works!
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I find action packers indispensable for any outdoor activity.
    X2😎 From snowmobiles to, well, just about everything!
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Try to keep all of your gear off the floor if possible. Use a cargo platform or some other method to suspend everything so that the tubes support the weight and not the floor. You'll float shallower and bottom of your raft will not suffer as much abuse.

I prefer aluminum dry boxes and NRS dry bags. Just dry bags for a fly-in float supported on a mesh cargo platform http://www.nrs.com/product/1805/nrs-raft-cargo-platform and all strapped together and to the boat in the unlikely event of a flip. 5 gallon buckets with lids and lined with trash compactor bags also make decent storage for non-essential items like charcoal, etc. They also double as decent camp chairs.

There are various versions of mesh bags like these available from raft suppliers also: http://cascaderivergear.com/shop/sma...-bag-whandles/

me 2. i used weather stripping on my seals for the small action packers. that works about 80% i reckon.

those Lev floors are deep, so you can load it however you need to in order to get it done.

Here is my rule of thumb when it comes to Action Packers and anything else that is hard.....Keep it off of the floor! If it is suspended within the frame your going to be alright.

Last week my son checked out one of my Riken Commercial Rafts to a troop of Germans for a day trip and he tossed a Dry Box in without suspending it and guess what? That $100 rental cost me 7 cuts on my perfect floor!!!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Unit 23 moose hunts
    Unit 26 Caribou Hunts
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

yea, I put a big hurtin on a PR-49 floor, loading an action packer unsuspended.

A coat of Urathane was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    yea, I put a big hurtin on a PR-49 floor, loading an action packer unsuspended.

A coat of Urathane was needed.
    Was that with the new inflatable floor or just the standard soft bottom? Floating the Sag this next week and planned on putting an 8 gallon action packer on the inflatable floor for two days. Rethinking it now tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CW35008 View Post
    Was that with the new inflatable floor or just the standard soft bottom? Floating the Sag this next week and planned on putting an 8 gallon action packer on the inflatable floor for two days. Rethinking it now tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the soft floor. Does the inflatable floor work with the older models? Yea, the soft floor I have does not tolerate loads directly on the floor. With the inflatable floor, you still have the same fabric taking the beating.... easy to patch, but my guess is it will still have problems with abrasion.

On my PR-49 (w/inflatable floor), I just cut a piece from an old thin yoga mat and that keeps the action packer from moving around and protects the floor. The foam mesh we use in our tool box drawers also works but it's not as tough.

When I fly out or float hunt from the road, I use a yeti 45 for my seat box. Works great. Nice and tall. Hold plenty of food and gear for a week for one guy. The rest goes in dry bags. If I'm hiking in, obviously the cooler gets ditched.

There are two schools of thought on floor loading rigid containers, and both seem to be based on field experiences. I've read many accounts here of folks floor-loading without any issues. I don't know how much float experience these folks have, what kinds of rivers they're floating, or how heavy they are packing. But it is clear that it can be done at least *some* of the time. The second group, which seems to include many folks with extensive experience, rejects floor loading almost completely. The risks are mostly related to floor damage from impacts with the riverbed. While I have never damaged a floor from floor loading, I have always opted to suspend my loads. I don't think there's any question that this is the most conservative approach.

It's a judgment call, but you should consider the type of river you're floating (does it contain shallow rocky sections where you might hang up?), and the loads you'll be carrying (are you carrying heavy items that might push the floor down below the level of the tubes?).

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Side note on alternative to Action Packers....

I've always used my big aluminum dry box suspended with raft frame setup, but if you need to go lighter and want to bring smaller dry boxes in a fly-in/fly-out scenario I would recommend the NRS Plastic Dry Box. Like an Action Packer, but keeps water out and way more expensive.

http://www.nrs.com/product/3058/nrs-...amping-dry-box

I don't have one, but hunted with a buddy who brought them this year. They are awesome. Planning on getting two.

On the new design Levitator, the 24 USG Action Packer drops in perfectly between the tubes. The handle section is just wide enough that it suspends the AP above the narrowest point and prevents the AP from riding on the floor. Worked very well on our trip.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

That NRS box looks interesting, and yes indeed it is pricey. How do they hold up when used as an impromptu seat?

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    That NRS box looks interesting, and yes indeed it is pricey. How do they hold up when used as an impromptu seat?

I have been using these in the back of my 6x6, on the back of my snowmachine, and in my boat:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HNJR0E...5232643&sr=1-1

They were $53 a pice. Slightly smaller than the NRS, but at nearly 1/3 the price I find them completely waterproof and super fast to open and close. Strap it down with the handles on the sides and you don't need to upstrap anything to access whatever you put in there. And yes they are plenty stout to sit or stand on.