Thread: Brooks range grizzly trashing camps

Default Brooks range grizzly trashing camps

My buddy guiding the eastern brooks just sent a message on his inreach that a. grizzly just trashed their base camp and destroyed everything. Camp even had an electric fence around it! Luckily they had spike camp and food with them so they can keep hunting. Be prepared out there guys, one rouge bear can ruin a much anticipated trip. Coupled with my client tearing tendons in his knee this season feels like there's an edge to it!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

****, that blows about the bear. Any suggestions for keeping food safe while on the tundra? Not having trees to hang food limits the options. I'd rather not bring a bear keg and/or lockable yeti to store food in. We plan on pre cooking meals then vac sealing them for easy re-heat during hunt. My plan is to keep food ~150 yards from camp during the day, and close to tent at night. Although I'd hate to have our food destroyed early on our 10 day hunt...

I'll be heading into the Brooks in less than two weeks. Just picked up some mothballs yesterday. Some people think it works; though I am sure it is not 100% effective. We leave some around base camp while spiking out. Just don't put them too close to the sleeping tent; the smell will get to you. Opinions vary on where to store your food. If there is no place to hang it, I just keep it next to the camp. Bears will usually stay away from the human smell. I make sure to leave some of my smell around the camp! If I had a pan that I cooked bacon, etc. in, I would move that way away and try to stash it somewhere.

I usually stash mine about 10 yds away from the camp. It may not save the food but it will save my shelter and any belongings I left behind. I would suck to have to bail early for lack of food but it would suck more to purchase several thousand worth of gear because I left a mt house in my tent.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

How about this: Serbu rn 50...

https://youtu.be/DLK1pY3zu3g

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Keep a grizz tag in your pocket, then you won't see any, lol!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Keep a grizz tag in your pocket, then you won't see any, lol!
    Bk
    That usually works for me. Except last year on a solo hunt I saw 3 pretty decent size browns less than a mile from camp. That was a bad night of sleep.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

For my sheep hunt this year Griz don't open till after we get done.........

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    I'll be heading into the Brooks in less than two weeks. Just picked up some mothballs yesterday. Some people think it works; though I am sure it is not 100% effective. We leave some around base camp while spiking out. Just don't put them too close to the sleeping tent; the smell will get to you. Opinions vary on where to store your food. If there is no place to hang it, I just keep it next to the camp. Bears will usually stay away from the human smell. I make sure to leave some of my smell around the camp! If I had a pan that I cooked bacon, etc. in, I would move that way away and try to stash it somewhere.
    Instead of moth balls, try to find flakes. If you use the balls, crush some up - more surface area = more odor.

Keeping your food 150 yards from camp will almost guarantee you will be going Hungary. I keep mine close and mark my territory

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Keeping your food 150 yards from camp will almost guarantee you will be going Hungary.
    Yeah, that's pretty much just like a gift there...!!!.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yup. Don't feed the Bears. At least make them feel naughty when they steal your food!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Here is something I heard from a biologist the other day. Bears despise the smell of Wasp/Hornet spray. He recommended spraying on the ground around your camp.

Anybody else have experience with this stuff?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I haven't had the misfortune to know whether it's a deterrent or not.... but after learning a buddy started using pine-sol on his cub tires after having both of them chewed up (they love the rubba), for several years now I have used a squirt bottle of pine-sol to spray my food box and keep it far enough away to keep my tent and gear safe but close enough to hear any shenanigans and have a clear shot.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkranch View Post
    ....and have a clear shot.
    That's the key right there...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkranch View Post
    I haven't had the misfortune to know whether it's a deterrent or not.... but after learning a buddy started using pine-sol on his cub tires after having both of them chewed up (they love the rubba), for several years now I have used a squirt bottle of pine-sol to spray my food box and keep it far enough away to keep my tent and gear safe but close enough to hear any shenanigans and have a clear shot.
    On a semi-related note: I just used Pine-Sol to clean my floor for the first time last week. I can't keep my dogs from constantly licking it since. My experience is if something smells interesting a bear will eat it.

Maybe it was this guy (doubt it). My buddy had seen him in camp and chased him off a few days prior. I took a 330 yard shot from camp as he was headed our way. We were packing up to leave at the end of our hunt, and couldn't pass on him. I saw 6 bears on this hunt. Luckily, they left our camp alone. You can see camp in the background.

Attachment 90244

Get one of those bear cache electric fences, $300 at Cabelas. I doubt they will get into there. It's mesh netting. Also get a stun gun, makes a nice popping sound as deterrent. also can be used during maulings.... lol.