Thread: Loss of power after starting/'08 Ranger 6x6

Default Loss of power after starting/'08 Ranger 6x6

I have had a weird problem with my Ranger this summer. It has over 400 miles on it this summer and has mostly ran well.

After driving for any amount of time and shutting off the machine, I have a loss of power when I restart. Can't go 3mph in low range. (Doesn't happen every time.)

I shut it down (put it in N and pull the brake & turn off the key). I then restart it and drive for miles. Thought it could be a brake cable issue, but last weekend it lost power while I was driving uphill. I pulled over and shut it down three times before it ran right. Didn't do it to me the rest of trip.

Any hints, suggestions or ideas before I haul it off to Polaris for trouble-shooting? Though it hasn't let me down, I don't to break-down in the woods.

Thanks for any trouble-shooting help.
    Tim

Sure sounds like you are not getting the parking brake all the way back into the released position. If it's back one click it will only give you what amounts to limp mode for power. Usually if you push your foot to the floor and are on hard flat ground you can hear the engine stutter a bit. Not so much don a heavier load. First check is to make SURE the parking brake is not back just one click. Looking at it you swear it went all the way back. Hope that's all that it is. Are you getting any warning lights or flashing of any kind going on, on your speedometer unit?

I agree with ultrarider. It sounds like the sensor on the park brake is loose or corroded and will put it in limp mode. You can unplug it and tape the ends and not have a warning that your parking brake is on or unplug and put some dielectric grease on the connectors and plug back together. It is also a replaceable part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

If the parking brake it hanging up, put it in neutral get off the machine and see if you can push it. If you can it not the parking or other brakes or something mechanical stopping you. When you're having the problem keep the engine running and in gear, go around to the back of the machine and see if the brake light is on.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    If the parking brake it hanging up, put it in neutral get off the machine and see if you can push it. If you can it not the parking or other brakes or something mechanical stopping you. When you're having the problem keep the engine running and in gear, go around to the back of the machine and see if the brake light is on.
    The parking brake on those has an electric safety switch built into them that limits the engines output if not fully released. The brake light will not be on. And the rig will roll freely if it's only out a click or 2. It's a safety device to get you to release the parking brake. The issue isn't that the brake actually is hanging up. It's that the pull lever isn't firmly seated in the release position.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    The parking brake on those has an electric safety switch built into them that limits the engines output if not fully released. The brake light will not be on. And the rig will roll freely if it's only out a click or 2. It's a safety device to get you to release the parking brake. The issue isn't that the brake actually is hanging up. It's that the pull lever isn't firmly seated in the release position.
    I did not know that.... it goes to show I did not know anything about the internal working of that ATV.
    Now it make sense what you guys were saying and how dumb my answer was. LOL

Okay. First instinct was parking brake issues.

Thanks for the input.
    tim

Was that the problem? If not is the rpm's a little erratic when it's acting up like it burning a little rich? The T-Bap sensors wiring harness is a weakness, it's small gauge wiring/not enough slack and mounted on the rubber intake in the midst of all kinds of vibration. "Only the Best" sells an upgraded wiring harness that you splice right in for not too much $$$.
    I did this on my Big Boss when it was new for peace of mind and I have read it's used on most models including the Rangers....just a thought.

CWoods, indeed, they are replacing the T-Bap sensor. Just the got the call yesterday.

Glad you have it narrowed down. As a thought if the sensor is replaced with the stock harness it will still be thin gauge wiring that pulled tight with little slack and prone for failure once again. The replacement from "Only the Best" is cheap and very easy to install, you can use there heat shrink crim connectors or just do as I did and solder it in and use quality heat shrink to protect it....I absolutely HATE breakdowns on outings and do all I can to try to a gun avoid them.