Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first cast powder painted reloads.

Default My first cast powder painted reloads.

I decided to start reloading this spring and had been gifted some money that would allow me to purchase all the needed supplies.
    Since I already cast tons of fishing jigs part of this project would be to cast some of my own projectiles.
    I had also planned to powder coat these bullets instead of using traditional lubes.
    Well I finally got around to working on this project some more and am quite pleased with the end results.
    These are 230 grain RNFP from my lee 452-230 6 cavity mold for my 45 colt Judge revolver.
    I am loading them with Unique powder.
    I coated them in some Blood Red powder paint I got from my buddy Ted "Cadman" at http://cadmansjigs.weebly.com/upload...s_2016_web.pdf
    At only $7 a pound it was a pretty good price and seemed to work quite well.
    I think I am going to enjoy this hobby for sure. It is so far a lot of fun.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Have you shot them yet? I'm real concerned that the heat and friction of the bore is going to lead to terrible bore fouling by that powder coat. Consider the temps at which the powder liquefies, and compare that to what's happening in the bore, especially on long shooting sessions when barrels really heat up.

Interested in what you find, and looking forward to your report back. It's certainly new ground for me, and I'm not being critical when asking the question.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Have you shot them yet? I'm real concerned that the heat and friction of the bore is going to lead to terrible bore fouling by that powder coat. Consider the temps at which the powder liquefies, and compare that to what's happening in the bore, especially on long shooting sessions when barrels really heat up.

Interested in what you find, and looking forward to your report back. It's certainly new ground for me, and I'm not being critical when asking the question.
    I'm not inclined toward the stuff myself, but have been following the chatter about it for some time. Reportedly fouling has not been an issue. I think one thing that is being ignored/overlooked tho is that some of the popular powder coat formulas utilize some REALLY toxic chemicals which go airborne as microfine dust during the process. Reckon I'll take a pass on that.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Have not shot them yet.
    Lots of guys powder coating bullets these days instead of traditional lubes.
    I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and no complaints of fouling from any of those individuals.
    When properly powder coated you can smash these bullets and the powder is still firmly stuck to the bullets.
    The powder somehow through the heat curing process chemically bonds with the lead.
    That's part of the reason it works so well for fishing jigs and bullets.
    If you ever get a hankering to try it let me know. I may have an extra pound of powder I can gift you.
    All you need is an old toaster oven and a tray to cure them on.
    That and an old #5 plastic container(margarine or coolwhip tub) to shake them in.
    I also used some black airsoft bb's to cushion the bullets from each other a bit. Bought a bag locally that will last me forever for just this project.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'm not inclined toward the stuff myself, but have been following the chatter about it for some time. Reportedly fouling has not been an issue. I think one thing that is being ignored/overlooked tho is that some of the popular powder coat formulas utilize some REALLY toxic chemicals which go airborne as microfine dust during the process. Reckon I'll take a pass on that.
    I'm not concerned with it for now.
    Seriously lead is bad for us in powder/dust form yet we send it down the barrel at high velocity. And we know some of that become airborne dust sometimes right?
    Plus what chemicals are in our gun powder and primers?
    Some of the really old primers used mercury in them.
    Not saying said mercury was good for anyone but it was used by a lot of shooters for many years.

Just finished casting up about 10# of .44 mag bullets from another lee 6 cavity mold.
    These are 240 grain SWC's
    Made these a BHN of ~14 according to my cabine tree hardness tester. The .45's I made before were ~12bhn.
    made them too hard at first at ~22 bhn so recast them with some added pure lead to soften them a bit.
    This time I cast a few then adjust my alloy after testing the first batch.
    I've read that with the powder paint you can get by with a softer alloy as the paint acts like a jacket and is harder but have decided to stay within the recommended alloy range for now.
    Still trying to decide what color to paint these ones.
    I am thinking of using another color just to make them different.
    I bought a few different colors to try. A pound of powder seems to go a pretty long ways with this stuff.
    I was also given 3# of free off white powder with a powder paint order once. Didn't really want it for my fishing jigs so I'll likely see if it works well for bullets or should I say Boolits.

Clearly I'm waaay out if date. Too many years cranking on an RCBS Lubrisizer, obviously!

That makes me wonder about sizing the bullets. Mostly I'm adjusting diameters to suit the gun, because as-cast is seldom right on the money. Are you sizing them first before coating? I have lots of powder coat laying around from making jigs, so it wouldn't take too much to try it myself. But if I'm passing bullets through the sizer before all the powder coating, I might as well be applying grease too on the same pass.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Clearly I'm waaay out if date. Too many years cranking on an RCBS Lubrisizer, obviously!

That makes me wonder about sizing the bullets. Mostly I'm adjusting diameters to suit the gun, because as-cast is seldom right on the money. Are you sizing them first before coating? I have lots of powder coat laying around from making jigs, so it wouldn't take too much to try it myself. But if I'm passing bullets through the sizer before all the powder coating, I might as well be applying grease too on the same pass.
    I'm sizing after powder coating.
    But I'm just using a cheap lee push through sizer so I don't have any lube from the sizer getting on them.
    And there is plenty of powder left on them after sizing to provide the necessary lube.
    I'm also using lee tumble lube molds so no real lube grooves on them anyway.
    I know some people don't like the lee products but the ones I have seem to be preforming fine and the price point is very good.
    I figured if I get into this more and if I decide to switch then I can get some better molds later or find deals on used ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I know some people don't like the lee products but the ones I have seem to be preforming fine and the price point is very good.
    Same here. I only move past LEE to other sources when LEE doesn't have what I need.

Thanks for the clarification on the sizing. I'm sure it will work just fine sizing after coating with the RCBS unit.
    Merle Haggard

Just stuck these 44 may boolits in the oven to cure.
    This powdercoating is pretty simple and easy.
    I'm really liking the simplicity of it.
    Since I'm just starting out I needed a lube method.
    This one fits my style and I didn't have to buy a lubrisizer or it's lubes.
    I had contemplated pan lubing or various tumble lube formulas.
    But this just seemed to fit with my jig making and it's powdercoating.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Tis a Mawwvelous Thang, so they say,,,,,,.

I ain't for it, or agin it. I don't make my own anymore, and never did many anyway.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/Online...ed-bullets.php

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I go down to the pistol range and shovel up a bucket of spent bullets every once in a while and someone here-bouts is shooting those purdy bullets. From what I can see the rifling marks left in the powder coat look a lot like rifling marks left in jacketed bullets. I would be curious to know how hard that powder coat is. Some epoxies are very hard and powder coat is epoxy paint. I have seen how hard the powder coat on farm gates and motorcycle/go-cart frames is and I am not sure that I would want a steady diet of that rubbing the lands of my pistol. I am of course but thinking out loud here. There are lots of folk doing it that know more about it than me. That however doesn't stop me from wondering.......

I have been sizing and lubing with the Lee push through jobby ever since it came out. Before that it was havelina(I could have spelled that wrong) lube and an old Herters lube sizer. Used a SAECO brand before that. I am a beeg fan of Lee bullet casting stuff. Ya have to be a little more careful with you whacking stick when your knock the bullets out of the mold so as not to actually hit the mold but rather but the part of the handle that hold the mold. I have knocked a couple of them out of kilter so that the two halves didn't line up so good anymore. I learned the error of my ways the hard way as usual. I pan lube all of my bullets now with a recipe using crayons, vaseline and a bit of STP. It works real good but is messy and time consuming. I am an old dog but maybe/perhaps I could be learned a new trick. Would you mind showing us what product you are using and exactly the steps it takes? My older brother would blow a gasket come deer season if I were to drill one and he was to find that shiny blue bullet in the critter. He would know that I was one up one him and he don't like that much!

EKC, I'd be a bit worrisome bout the critter seeing that blue bullet flying toward their engine room and duck'n! Fer deer I would go with yellow - then they would think it was a kernel of Ioway corn you was sending them!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Here is a guy selling the powder that will ship to Alaska, Harbor Freight won't.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raying-bullets
    I have the sample pack and a toaster oven ready to go, just need time now.
    There are many youtube videos on powercoating bullets!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Here is a guy selling the powder that will ship to Alaska, Harbor Freight won't.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raying-bullets
    I have the sample pack and a toaster oven ready to go, just need time now.
    There are many youtube videos on powercoating bullets!
    I've read good things about smokes powder. But it seems a bit spendy at $18.50 a #.
    I paid $7 a # from Ted "Cadman" Chodor Of cadmans custom jigs. cadmansjigs.weebly.com .
    He is a great guy to deal with and I have ordered his powder paints twice so far.
    Everything ships USPS flat rate and Alaska isn't a problem.
    8# of powder shipped to my door cost me $69.45 including shipping. Shipping was $13.45 for all 8# USPS flat rate and all was well packaged.
    Triple bagged with the first bag taped closed to be sure it stayed that way.
    Some of this paint is for fishing jigs and some for the cast boolit project.
    I have some spendy powders that cost me $36 a # but those are special glow colors not something I would use for cast boolits.
    I like cheap powders for these kinds of projects.
    Harbor freight used to ship to Ak but then they stopped. Called customer service and got a response from some airhead who just read a response off his computer screen and wasn't the least bit helpful.
    Columbia paints wouldn't send me any of their Prismatic colors. They said they would send something similiar but it wasn't even close to the same color. This was powder for fishing jigs where the color did matter to me.
    It just doesn't make sense to not send powder paint through the mail USPS flatrate. It's not any more hazardous than most other powdered substances.

This is the basic process I use.
    https://youtu.be/MRVXic3-ztE
    I do ad some black airsoft BB's maybe 2-3 layers in my plastic container.
    Use a #5 plastic container. You know that number in the little recycle triangle on the bottom. I guess #5 produces the most static to make the paint stick when you shake it.
    I like the containers with the o ring type seal on the lids and latches on all 4 sides. I bought mine from Fred Meyer.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I go down to the pistol range and shovel up a bucket of spent bullets every once in a while and someone here-bouts is shooting those purdy bullets. From what I can see the rifling marks left in the powder coat look a lot like rifling marks left in jacketed bullets. I would be curious to know how hard that powder coat is. Some epoxies are very hard and powder coat is epoxy paint. I have seen how hard the powder coat on farm gates and motorcycle/go-cart frames is and I am not sure that I would want a steady diet of that rubbing the lands of my pistol. I am of course but thinking out loud here. There are lots of folk doing it that know more about it than me. That however doesn't stop me from wondering.......

I have been sizing and lubing with the Lee push through jobby ever since it came out. Before that it was havelina(I could have spelled that wrong) lube and an old Herters lube sizer. Used a SAECO brand before that. I am a beeg fan of Lee bullet casting stuff. Ya have to be a little more careful with you whacking stick when your knock the bullets out of the mold so as not to actually hit the mold but rather but the part of the handle that hold the mold. I have knocked a couple of them out of kilter so that the two halves didn't line up so good anymore. I learned the error of my ways the hard way as usual. I pan lube all of my bullets now with a recipe using crayons, vaseline and a bit of STP. It works real good but is messy and time consuming. I am an old dog but maybe/perhaps I could be learned a new trick. Would you mind showing us what product you are using and exactly the steps it takes? My older brother would blow a gasket come deer season if I were to drill one and he was to find that shiny blue bullet in the critter. He would know that I was one up one him and he don't like that much!
    While the powder coat may be hard I fail to see it being any harder than a copper jacketed bullet and we shoot those all the time with out
    worry of barrel damage.
    They do say the powder coat acts like a jacket and cast bullet hardness isn't as big an issue if they are powder coated.
    the only issue I have heard of is that the Harbor freight black could contain a mild abrasive as one of the ingredients in the mix.
    IDK much about that just something I saw on YouTube. But I don't use That brand and/or color.
    This really is just a different lube alternative on our cast boolits.
    For me it seems much easier than Pan Lubed Boolits but I haven't ever pan lubed just watched it on YouTube.
    It really is a simple process and all you really need is a toaster oven,tray for it, some powder paint, and a #5 plastic container with lid.
    I do add some black airsoft BB's to my mixing tub but I don't think that's really necessary. I had already bought them after reading online that they worked well so thought what the heck.
    If you were in AK I would send you some paint to try. I'm sure you can order it cheap enough from where you live.
    Like I said in previous posts it's only $7 a pound from Cadman ( chttp://cadmansjigs.weebly.com/powder-paint.html ) or $6 from Harbor freight. Plus shipping of course.
    Lots and of color options for you as well.
    Here's a few I did the other day!

Just can't bring myself to shoot PINK bullets.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Just can't bring myself to shoot PINK bullets.
    My sister recently conquered breast cancer so some of those are for her.
    Some are also for a female friend who I'm trying to talk into going to the range and learning to shoot.
    Her favorite color is pink so she said she might go if I made her some pink ammo.
    One of the benefits of powder paint is the almost unlimited color options.

I'm very happy for your sister and if pink bullets will get more folks shooting I'm all for it!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast