Thread: Flyfishing book...???

Default Flyfishing book...???

Would like somebody that can steer me towards a good flyfishing book. Ideally I guess it would take a wannabe flyfisherman all the way up to advanced, unless you think all I really need is all the good basics? I know there a lot of them out there. I was in Sportsman's the other day and it was like, which one? I've also been looking online at videos and such but so much of them focus towards somebody that actually has been doing it for awhile....the jargon they use and such. I'd just like something that YOU guys actually think is a good explanatory book. Maybe even something more designed for Alaskan waters? I'm sure I'd love to start tying my own flies as well asap as my son has a little kit that I don't think he's using.

Another thought would be if you've been lugging a book around for a long time that you no longer need or want, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.....wouldn't care how beaten and battered it may be.

I missed out on red fishing (flossing) this year and would really like to go after some silvers this year with the fly rod.....that is "IF" I can figure out what I'm doing and get good enough at it. I know there's a lot to it but I've kinda grown tired of throwing metal at them all these years, and I've never caught one on a fly rod so really looking forward to it....

Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks much....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I don't own it, but when turning pages at Barnes and Noble I was impressed with the Orvis guide book. Lots more on bugs than you'll need in Alaska and not much on Alaska salmon and such, but good solid foundations that work well up here. After that you have to get pretty specific about the kind of fishing you want to do up here, and go looking for books on those.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Fly Tying Made Clear And Simple .... By Skip Morris.
    As for the fishing for silvers and reds with a flyrod, well, there really isn't much flyfishing 'technique' involved. But that will come naturally as u handle the fly rod. That is not to say lessons would not help you, but for just red and silver fishing, ain't much skill there.
    I would take u in the yard outside and have u rolling out a 35 ft 'real' cast in ten minutes.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Fly Tying Made Clear And Simple .... By Skip Morris.
    As for the fishing for silvers and reds with a flyrod, well, there really isn't much flyfishing 'technique' involved. But that will come naturally as u handle the fly rod. That is not to say lessons would not help you, but for just red and silver fishing, ain't much skill there.
    I would take u in the yard outside and have u rolling out a 35 ft 'real' cast in ten minutes.
    Thanks BrownBear.... I may have seen that book at Sportsman's wh.

cod.....How did I know you would reply to this thread?...lol. I'm not actually new to the fly rod, as I've been "flossing" with a fly rod for Kasilof kings and Kenai reds for over 10 years I would guess. I agree there's not much technique to that....that's why I can do it....lol. I just haven't really fly fished for salmon or trout where you actually try and present a fly properly as to entice them to hit it. I just want a nuts and bolts kinda book that will give me the basics to actual fly fishing...ie: knots, flies, lines, leaders and all the lingo that goes along with them....

Oh, and I'm not too bad at casting a fly out there some distance...at least I think I'm not too bad. But what to do with it after I get it out there is what I need to understand......lol. Thanks...

I know some people can learn a skill like flyfishing from a book, but I'm not one of them (and I tried!). What worked best for me was to join a local flyfishing club, take all their classes and participate like crazy.

Hey 4mer. If you are just looking for general information such as what flies to use for various species, flyfishing techniques for various species, and general locations etc. I highly recommend Alaska Fishing: the Ultimate Anglers Guide 3rd Edition by Rene Limeres and Gunner Pederson. Here is a link to it on Barnes and Noble.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/alas...clickid=3x3485

This is always my go to for any kind of fishing in AK as well as Flyfishing. Now, it doesn't really give you information that will help you get started, but it's not that difficult to get started. 5 minutes down at the fly shop with an experienced fly fishermen to help you get the gist will get you started. And as far as advanced flyfishing, well I'll let you know when I get there myself. Good luck.

Default Flyfishing book...???

I strongly suggest "The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" by Charlie Meyers and Kirk Deeter. Lots of good information and laid out in an easy to read/understand way. The book is based on traditional trout flyfishing which differs from Alaska flyfishing but the basics still relate and the information can still be helpful.

As mentioned above, most salmon flyfishing (especially reds) takes little knowledge about flyfishing and is more so about using the gear.

I'm also a huge fan of The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing. That said, I don't think there's any one book that can take you all the way to advanced - fly fishing can be extremely technical and the advanced material is highly specialized, so those topics (casting, tying, etc.) tend to get their own books.

That said, I agree with Norcal Bob that lessons, or going out with a guide, are the ticket. If there's nobody available nearby or you don't want to spend the money, get someone to video your casting, then sit yourself down to watch and be ruthlessly critical. There are also excellent instructional videos on Youtube (free!), and they can both give you tips on how to improve your casting and some ideas about what to look for in your videos of yourself.

Also, the Orvis (Tom Rosenbauer) podcasts can be really good.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I'm going to echo the statement of going out with somebody, ask questions, ask for help, see what they are doing. The best thing for me was when a uncle of mine helped me fix issues in my casting technique. If you were in Fairbanks I would suggest we go look for some grayling.

as for fly tying look for classes or the Art of Fly tying is a good book. remember it doesn't need to be perfect to catch fish!
    Last edited by AKducks; 08-15-2016 at 11:56. Reason: Adding more info

I started fly fishing around 1980. Self taught through trial and error. Not a bad way to learn, necessarily. But one needs the time to do so. Of course reading books, articles, etc all contributed to my knowledge base along the way. There is probably nothing better than being on the water and actually trying things to advance ones abilities. It doesn't hurt to fish with those that are more advanced than you, for sure, when one gets the chance.
    Mlshore is quite correct that fly fishing tends to be broken down into fairly distinct areas of its characteristics. And there are MANY areas to cover. Flies, fly tying, diff fly lines, diff rod types, INSECT TYPES, and more.
    While casting vids are good, I can guarantee that a person just learning to cast can throw a couple real good casts and just a minute later feel completely bamboozled by what he is trying to do. It's just impossible for him to determine where he is going wrong without someone w experience watching and telling him. I've seen it w just about every person I have ever helped over the years. It's just the nature of the beast. (Hint: if you're trying REAL hard, that tells u that what u are doing is NOT the right way. Casting is easy and takes LITTLE effort.) It goes w/o saying that being on some 'fishy' water while learning sure makes that learning a lot more enjoyable.

I went to the orvis fly fishing school back in the late 90s as a gift from my father for Christmas. I learned a good portion there but then fly fishing as a hobby became forgotten until recently thanks to a good buddy who guides on the Kenai. My wife went out and picked me up a book on fly tying knots as well as a few others. I keep the knot book in my bag as I am still very rusty and like to have something to look over when making ties (blood knot etc). I will be looking at the red book for sure thank you for the info!

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

[QUOTE=4merguide;1553805]Would like somebody that can steer me towards a good flyfishing book. Ideally I guess it would take a wannabe flyfisherman all the way up to advanced, unless you think all I really need is all the good basics? ...Maybe even something more designed for Alaskan waters? I'm sure I'd love to start tying my own flies as well asap as my son has a little kit that I don't think he's using.
    QUOTE]

I second Limeres and Pederson's Alaska Fishing for OP's learn-about needs. As far as doing it (either fishing or tying): that's best to have the basics learned by initial instruction rather than trial and error. And then practice. It's not hard, but you'll be more likely to stick with it longer than one day if you're not trying to teach yourself.

4mer,

While books and other media are good tools they often times are very focused on a few topics or vague and cover a lot with no depth. Honeslty the best way to accomplish your goal is fish with someone who has been fly fishing a while and understands or knows the tricks media dosent mention. Take cod up on his offer..........yard fishing is a great reason to hang out with a friend and enjoy a beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey 4mer. If you are just looking for general information such as what flies to use for various species, flyfishing techniques for various species, and general locations etc. I highly recommend Alaska Fishing: the Ultimate Anglers Guide 3rd Edition by Rene Limeres and Gunner Pederson. Here is a link to it on Barnes and Noble.
    Believe it or not Jack, I just remembered that somebody gave me that book not too long ago and I'm holding it in my hot little hands as we speak. Good book for sure...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    4mer,

While books and other media are good tools they often times are very focused on a few topics or vague and cover a lot with no depth. Honeslty the best way to accomplish your goal is fish with someone who has been fly fishing a while and understands or knows the tricks media dosent mention. Take cod up on his offer..........yard fishing is a great reason to hang out with a friend and enjoy a beer!
    Thanks... I hope to take cod up on his offer pretty soon....Hear that cod...???!!!.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    4mer,
    Take cod up on his offer..........yard fishing is a great reason to hang out with a friend and enjoy a beer!
    QUOTE= 4mer;....."Thanks.... I hope to take cod up on his offer pretty soon...Hear that cod??!!! lol". UNQUOTE

I hear ya. And it's even a greater reason when his 'yard' has one of the peninsula's premiere streams running right thru the middle of it, full of steel next month.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    QUOTE= 4mer;....."Thanks.... I hope to take cod up on his offer pretty soon...Hear that cod??!!! lol". UNQUOTE

I hear ya. And it's even a greater reason when his 'yard' has one of the peninsula's premiere streams running right thru the middle of it, full of steel next month.
    Sounds like a "better friend" with each post......lol