Thread: Gun Safe Install Question

Default Gun Safe Install Question

Just got my first real gun safe, question I have is mounting it in the garage. The garage is bare concrete, what are you all doing to prevent moisture from getting under it ? Hockey pucks ? Pressure treated 2x4? .

Avoid the garage if at al lpossible. If it must go in the garage, it needs at least one "GOLDEN ROD" and that assumes the garage area is well heated and well drained. You might need two Golden Rods. I would put 2" Polystyrene under the safe.

A garage is an awful location for a gunsafe. Not only the extreme temperature changes, but all the tools are right there handy to open the safe from the side, the top, or the back. Easiest way the enter a home covertly is through the garage man door.

Z-CORR Bags are your best solution, for quality firearms.......and they are only $12.99 to $14.99 We call them Body-Bags for direct burial.

well there is no choice but the garage in my situation. house is 5 star + and the Garage is heated and well drained, and in 3 years the house the garage heater keeps up really well. Already planned on golden rod, And I have weighed the whole "tools are right there" aspect of it all when it comes to break ins. Also if you are thinking of the "tools in the garage" thought process there is nothing stopping the people from taking the tools from your garage into the house to chop on a safe. I also have an alarm and closed loop system on the house. I know it's not perfect , But i figure it beats the alternative of having then in bags or a wooden gun safe.

I would recommend bolting the safe to the wall and the floor, then putting up cinderblock walls on both sides to limit access. That will make it much harder to pull it out, or cut into the sides. The goldenrod should do the job keeping out moisture, but there is no substitute for pulling them out on a regular basis, and wiping them down. Your alarm system is a good thing, but cops are often 15 to 30 minutes out, and a prepared thief can load that safe in about 3 minutes, tops.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."