Thread: Huge Lakers on top water - InFisherman Show

Default Huge Lakers on top water - InFisherman Show

Did anyone catch the InFisherman show last week about catching Lakers on top water? There is also an article in this months magazine. Now that the show has aired, I can talk about it. My SIL and I started catching huge Lakers on top water a few years ago. Best time is just as the ice is moving out from the bank and for the next few weeks. The lakers chase smaller trout right up to the bank using the bank to block the trouts escape. Once we figured this out, we started hammering them. My SIL is the one in the show that is fishing with Doug showing him how to catch them. It's hard to hook them though. You'll have 10 chases and blowups but only hook 1 or 2 because when they open their mouth they are pushing so much water in front of them, they push the lure away. If I remember, the morning they filmed the show, we had almost 20 chases and landed 5-6 all between 30-43". The show was taped here in CO. but I assume it would work anywhere. We've tried this technique at three different lakes here in CO. We release all of the Lakers we catch.

I've done close to the sand with fly rods here in Alaska.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    The lakers chase smaller trout right up to the bank using the bank to block the trouts escape. Once we figured this out, we started hammering them.
    Though I haven't tried it with lakers, I can absolutely validate "deep water" fish using that strategy. That's how we catch a lot of our king salmon- When conditions are right they come up shallow and do the same. While I've caught lakers up shallow during ice-out, never thought to try them on topwater. Looking forward to it the next time conditions are right.

Thanks!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Did anyone catch the InFisherman show last week about catching Lakers on top water? There is also an article in this months magazine. Now that the show has aired, I can talk about it. My SIL and I started catching huge Lakers on top water a few years ago. Best time is just as the ice is moving out from the bank and for the next few weeks. The lakers chase smaller trout right up to the bank using the bank to block the trouts escape. Once we figured this out, we started hammering them. My SIL is the one in the show that is fishing with Doug showing him how to catch them. It's hard to hook them though. You'll have 10 chases and blowups but only hook 1 or 2 because when they open their mouth they are pushing so much water in front of them, they push the lure away. If I remember, the morning they filmed the show, we had almost 20 chases and landed 5-6 all between 30-43". The show was taped here in CO. but I assume it would work anywhere. We've tried this technique at three different lakes here in CO. We release all of the Lakers we catch.
    That's interesting. I take it you aren't allowed to use minnows for bait in those lakes?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I saw that show. Very cool and interesting.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by jmbx2ditto View Post
    I've done close to the sand with fly rods here in Alaska.

Sorry, but what does this mean exactly...???

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Sorry, but what does this mean exactly...???
    Typo or sell check error. I ment I've experience top water action with Lakers on a fly rod as the ice receded.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbx2ditto View Post
    Typo or sell check error. I ment I've experience top water action with Lakers on a fly rod as the ice receded.

Where they taking flies off the surface, or where you using wet flys?

Streamers mostly but I've caught one off a pike surface popper fly. The fish was small but it was a unique catch.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That's interesting. I take it you aren't allowed to use minnows for bait in those lakes?
    No, here in CO. We can't use live bait above 7000ft.

No, here in CO. We can't use live bait above 7000ft.
    Kinda figured that was the case. Where I grew up fishing you were allowed to use minnows in the lake, but not in the rivers....