Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost rifle

Default Lost rifle

So the unthinkable happened, something I swore would never happen to me.

Yesterday I took my wife on the Denali highway in an attempt for her first animal.
    We parked at the Maclaren summit and road double on the wheeler.
    About 5-7 miles back the wheeler died and we had to hike out.
    The wife hurt herself walking out and we didn't get out until 12:30am.
    In the confusion I set my rifle on top of the canopy and drove off.

It's a new rifle, but means a lot to me.
    If you hear of anyone finding a rifle on the Denali please write me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which way did you drive out? East or west? Things can stay on top of a car for a freakish amount of time before falling off.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I hunted the south, but I believe I lost the very close to the Maclaren summit sign, like within a few hundred yards. We left the pullover and drove towards the lodge.

This post adds no value but when we were kids grandpa used to gather us grandkids up in the Astro van and he would haul us up to miers lake for the weekends. We used to tie our cooler up to the back bumper and be on our way. One time when we got up to miers lake grandpa hopped out of the van took a few steps back and low and behold the cooler was gone! He hopped back in the rig and we drove all the back to glennallen nice and slow so we could all keep an eye out for the missing cooler. Us kids never did spot the cooler but grandpa sure did when he walked to the back of the van to fuel up at the hub and noticed the cooler was hanging just mere inches off the ground dangling by the ropes it was tied with! Good thing it was taped shut, we didn't loose a thing.......got fuel and headed back up to the lodge! Wasn't too many more trips after that when we learned grandpa would snore sometimes when he drives!

sorry your story reminded me of a past memory.

good luck finding your rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcook87 View Post
    This post adds no value but when we were kids grandpa used to gather us grandkids up in the Astro van and he would haul us up to miers lake for the weekends. We used to tie our cooler up to the back bumper and be on our way. One time when we got up to miers lake grandpa hopped out of the van took a few steps back and low and behold the cooler was gone! He hopped back in the rig and we drove all the back to glennallen nice and slow so we could all keep an eye out for the missing cooler. Us kids never did spot the cooler but grandpa sure did when he walked to the back of the van to fuel up at the hub and noticed the cooler was hanging just mere inches off the ground dangling by the ropes it was tied with! Good thing it was taped shut, we didn't loose a thing.......got fuel and headed back up to the lodge! Wasn't too many more trips after that when we learned grandpa would snore sometimes when he drives!

sorry your story reminded me of a past memory.

good luck finding your rifle!
    Thank you sir.
    I'll need all the luck I can get

Here is a ray of hope for you.

I was on the other end of something very similar 3 or 4 years ago. Come back to the circus at the gravel pit at Eureka after a week back in hunting. There is a party of 2 dad's and 3 boys loading up and tying down their equipment . We pull up and start doing the same. Of course we swap stories and bs a bit as we load up. Most likely around noon time. As I walk around my trailer and truck for one last look before heading out there lays 2 rifle cases on the ground next to me where they were parked. Guessing they had a 10 min head start on me. I grab the cases. Yet. They are both heavy. I never did open them to see what was in them. Told my hunting partner we have 2 choices here. Let them lay where they are and hope they remember them and come back for them. Or grab them and try to track down the owners. Well..... in that lot. With all those people milling around the odds of his guns being there more than minutes were pretty slim in my mind. Scratch plan A. A small remote lot I probably would have chosen plan A. Plan B. I know what the truck,trailer,atv's and meat trailers look like. Most were wearing some kind of Wasilla highschool sports shirts. So.... my mind says noon time, 2 dad's and 3 boys after days of camping I've got 50/50 or better odds that they will stop at Eureka roadhouse for a burger and beer. If not, I'll drive slightly fast, skip OUR burger n beer and hopefully catch up to them by the carrs stop light in Palmer. Not there? Call the troopers and Wasilla city cops and report my find. Also make some Facebook posts on valley sites, and outdoor sites such as here. About all I can do.

We get in sight of the roadhouse and sure enough, there sits their rig. We park and walk in there. They great us and tell us the boys were starving and that their beer tastes great! So I ask? Did you guys leave in a hurry and forget and leave something behind??? Nope nope. We got it all. One boy asks, dad did you pick up the guns??? OH **** was heard as he flew out of his chair and headed for the door. After I quit lol I followed him out the door and led him to my truck and handed him their guns. We went back inside and chatted a bit. Was thanked many times over by the dads. We then left and headed for home. The surprising part was they didn't offer to buy us either a burger or beer!!! But then again, the shock that they were in I'm sure it just slipped their mind. Doesn't matter either way. Felt **** good to do the right thing and have it turn out as it did. Loved hearing the kids telling dad over and over " I told you not to lay them down there". I think many lessons were learned that day. And thankfully it didn't cost anyone anything but some embarrassment in front of their boys. Bet those kids never lose a gun!

Beyond trying to give you some hope and a smile, I'm suggesting that you call the troopers, Mc clarion lodge and Alpine to let them know what where and how you lost it. There may well be a straight up guy out there trying to figure out how to get this gun he found back to you. Get on fb as well. Then say a prayer or 2 and have some faith an honest hunter found it, and searches out for you.

Thanks for the ray of Hope.
    Relying on faith in humanity.

I hope I'm allowed to post this. When I was just a young kid I had lost something. Being a Catholic my mother said pray to Saint Anthony he's the patron saint for lost items. so I prayed as hard as I could. Low and behold I found it. Now some 70 years later I cannot count on my fingers and toes how many times this Saint has helped me find things.

It's worth a shot. I will also pray you find your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    So the unthinkable happened, something I swore would never happen to me.

Yesterday I took my wife on the Denali highway in an attempt for her first animal.
    We parked at the Maclaren summit and road double on the wheeler.
    About 5-7 miles back the wheeler died and we had to hike out.
    The wife hurt herself walking out and we didn't get out until 12:30am.
    In the confusion I set my rifle on top of the canopy and drove off.

It's a new rifle, but means a lot to me.
    If you hear of anyone finding a rifle on the Denali please write me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Kris

So sorry to hear this. You might also want to let the pawn shops know about it.....just incase. Hope ya get er' back....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If you haven't called the Cantwell and Glennallen troopers and the MacLaren lodge to let them know, I would

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

The dreaded vehicle roof. Never put anything there you wish to keep. Never lean anything against the vehicle. Don't ask me how I know this. Oh and there was the time my friend took his rifle into an outhouse cause there were bears around. He remembered it a few miles down the road. We rushed back and it was still there.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The dreaded vehicle roof. Never put anything there you wish to keep. Never lean anything against the vehicle.
    Lost a nice camera that way back in the days when a camera required film. Hope you get your stuff back fish catcher.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

The dreaded vehicle roof. Never put anything there you wish to keep. Never lean anything against the vehicle. Don't ask me how I know this. Oh and there was the time my friend took his rifle into an outhouse cause there were bears around. He remembered it a few miles down the road. We rushed back and it was still there.
    Years ago I was headed into town from Kasilof. When I started to go down the hill by the dump into Soldotna I could see something in the center of the road. As I passed by I tried to see what it was.....it looked to be a wallet. So I did a U turn and went back. Sure nuff it was a women's wallet laying there. She sure was happy to get it back. Said she had been to SBS and set it on the roof of her car.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sorry to hear. I hope you get it back but be careful. Same thing happened to a friend then some lowlife scammed money ou if him. Claimed he found it and conned some cash to have it sent to him.

Sorry to hear about your rifle. I did the same with a shotgun when I first started hunting as a teenager. I was driving down a gravel road 50 mph and happened to see something odd in my rear view mirror bouncing in the dust. I was curious to what I might have hit so I turned around and low and behold there was my almost new 870 pump that was not so new anymore. I shot that gun for another 10 years but was quick to blame misses on a bent barrel. Good luck in recovering your rifle.

I'll be in that area in the next few days. I will take a peek around that area and hope it is laying in the parking area. If I find a gun I'll let ya know.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Did that with an ipad...heard it go off the roof, suddenly realized what it was...thankfully it slid on it's cover and nobody ran it over before I could turn around and retrieve it.

O.K. I'll tell what happened to me and my cherished .270. Took the wife hunting one rainy day when we were young. Back at the car (I didn't own a truck then) we are taking off the rain gear and putting it in the trunk. I get in the car first. (Women are slow) Wife gets in. I back up into a turn out to turn the car around to leave. Hear an awful racket. We look at each other and she has the dumbshoot look. Yup, she left my scoped .270 on the roof. It slid back, bounced off the trunk and hit the pavement. Scope was broke. Mounts bent. Dang.
    Another time elk hunting. I have a truck now. 3 of us shed the rain gear and get in to leave. Hear a noise, buddy lets out a yell. He left his Weatherby leaning against my truck. At least I didn't run over it. It didn't appear to have suffered too much damage, but he couldn't suppress the whining for the rest of the day.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

What happened to wheeler? Did you get it out?

Quote Originally Posted by AkLocal View Post
    What happened to wheeler? Did you get it out?
    I some how put dirty fuel in it. Either debris in the fuel can or something else. Anyways I caught a ride in with some hunters in the morning. I had the my tool bag, drained the tank and bypassed the filter. She fired right up and I drove her out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast