Thread: Quiz Question......While wandering off trail, you found a wrench in a tree....??

Default Quiz Question......While wandering off trail, you found a wrench in a tree....??

While wandering remote Alaska "Off-Trail" and you found a wrench in a tree, often the tree grown around the wrench, and generally the wrench being a Crescent Co. 10" or 12" wrench.

Quiz Question.......why was the wrench put there.....for what application.......???

Put there for safe keeping, so didn't get lost in the snow...then forgotten.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Maybe so.............but there is a better answer. And, at some point it became a law, that the wrench be placed there.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

Handy access to a tool in case of earth quake... you can turn off the pipeline.

This was likely common practice in Montana also.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    Handy access to a tool in case of earth quake... you can turn off the pipeline.

To slide down trap spring and hold while setting traps and forgot it
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Zen question.....maybe the wrench is not there, and all you see is man disturbing nature.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Oh yeah. It's so ingrained in folks, I'm always watching above eye level when I move through old campsites. Can't tell you how many hatchets and knives I've found up there where folks put them for safe keeping. Then, because they're above eye level, they don't see them and forget them when they pack to leave.

One buddy has a remote spot where he camps for hunts and calls it The Frying Pan. That's cuzz there's a frying pan in a tree crotch, welded in place as the tree continued to grow around it as the years passed. Another bud found a handgun in the crotch of a tree. Recent with no rust, so he was able to track down the owner and return it. I'm yet to find the owners of any hatchet or knife I've found, but most were at least a little rusty or worse by the time I got to them.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I found a bloody sheath knife stuck in a tree about head level. There was a poached deer carcass below it. I didn't make any attempt to get it back to the owner.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

BrownBear.........Yes.......I live and explore what was at one point the largest city in Alaska, now an abandoned gold mining town site. The amount of tools, and unmarked graves that I find exploring this area is high. Someone found a quart mason jar half full of gold. I find corrals from period of 1889 to 1944. Plus old Cat-trails.

I find a lot of "Crow Bars" & shovels along side creeks, with the tree grown around them. There is a period lasting only a very few days every spring, before the grass is 2" tall that you can find long gone cabin outlines in the surface of the ground. In less than a week they disappear till next spring.

To take apart a newhouse bear trap, in case you got caught in the one set nearby.

You are totally 100% correct.......And at some point it became a legal requirement to leave a wrench and a warning sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    To take apart a newhouse bear trap, in case you got caught in the one set nearby.

I don't think you can disassemble a Newhouse with a Crescent wrench (?). When setting the big Newhouse traps, a screw clamp was used to compress the springs. I've heard it was protocol (might even have been a law for awhile?) to leave a clamp hanging within reach , so a man could free himself if inadvertently caught in one.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

You take the nut off the support holding the jaws with the wrench. You do NOT compress the spring.

I don't think you can disassemble a Newhouse with a Crescent wrench (?).
    Incorrect. The old large animal newhouse traps had 2 threaded posts with a nut holding each post to the base plate. The jaws fit in to the post. The crescent would allow the person caught in the trap to unscrew the nut on a post and thus release tension on the jaws.
    Google Newhouse traps and you will see.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I see it. Ya learn something new every day.
    #Resist

Setting and springing a Thompson bear trap... interesting, and I think one would need a tool with some a high degree of mechanical advantage to compress the springs to release from your leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIkhvp-THk

Default Newhouse bear trap

image.jpgimage.jpgJust after the big fall flood in '02' I found this old Newhouse on riverbed not far upstream from here. Probably washed out of a long forgotten hiding spot. As u can see, minus one spring. It does in fact still have one bolted side attached as described on the remaining spring.
    I thought one day I may reattach some sort of second spring to it. Pretty cool find.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!