Thread: The little Mouse Gun 9mm and the Brown Bear............???

Default The little Mouse Gun 9mm and the Brown Bear............???

9mm. The new brown bear round!!!

It is little known that Luger pistols were used in Alaska and Canada for set-guns. While the gun and the ammo were cheap, it was sometimes a fatal tool for the trapper........till it became common to only use one cartridge per set.

Quote Originally Posted by akfish716 View Post
    9mm. The new brown bear round!!!

Six 44's in my Blackhawk or 3mags 40 rounds in my hi power. That bear looks 7' max so I'll go 44
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Don't forget the kids on the russian back in 2003/2004 that whacked an aggressive sow with their G17/G19. then drove all the way back to Anchorage to get their hunting knives to come back and skin the bear for F&G.

My Glock 43 is easier to carry then my .44 Mountain Gun. But dang......Gotta think on this for awhile.

This just proves that shot placement matters. Some guys over compensate their marksmanship with large caliber handgun. 454 won't do you any good if you can't hit your target.

The last couple weeks we have read of bears being killed with a 9mm and a 10mm, despite the experts here saying nothing less than a 44 mag.
    Would I carry a 9mm over a 44 mag? Probably not. But I'd have no problem carrying what I'm proficient with.

It would seem Phil managed to get an article in the NRA magazine before he bothered to report the kill to the refuge manager (as required by his permit) oops.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

He said he called it in immediately. That's no seven foot bear...I'd say over 9'.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Funny, the refuge manager heard about it from off social media. (She and her husband have been friends of ours for 25 yrs)

Who knows. I wasn't there.
    Master guide 212

Turns out he did report it, but the report didn't go up the chain of command very fast. Someone's gonna get scolded, but it won't be him

Lol well it's a scolding we won't hear about anyway, had Phil been scolded we'd probably have eventually heard...lol
    Master guide 212

Salute Jake I was way off,bear right at 900 pounds. I just can't see it with the angle but am confused by gun size and paw say big but just looks real short coupled to me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

They are hard to eyeball judge laying like that for sure!
    Master guide 212

I sold my 454 and went to a 10mm Glock, and here is why. I was at the range and discussing bear protecting. A gentleman I know has a large solid rubber type ball. There is a hilled section and we would get it rolling and try and hit it. I could MAYBE get it once with the 454 when I had the hammer pulled back already. Did the same thing with my S&W MP 9mm and a Glock 20 and hit it more often then not. I left, cleaned up the .454 and sold it. In the end I would be better off holding a big rock vs a .454.

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    I sold my 454 and went to a 10mm Glock, and here is why. I was at the range and discussing bear protecting. A gentleman I know has a large solid rubber type ball. There is a hilled section and we would get it rolling and try and hit it. I could MAYBE get it once with the 454 when I had the hammer pulled back already. Did the same thing with my S&W MP 9mm and a Glock 20 and hit it more often then not. I left, cleaned up the .454 and sold it. In the end I would be better off holding a big rock vs a .454.
    Exactly why I carry a 10mm. Me and a buddy were shooting his AK backpacker in .44. Neither of us could hit a milk jug at 15 yds due to the short lenght of the barrel and ridiculous recoil. Switched to my auto loader and emptied an entire magazine into it without missing. I can put 15 rds in a 6 inch hole at 15 to 20 yds with my glock. Can maybe get lucky and get one with a big ol hand cannon.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.