Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tie Downs...Need Advice

Default Trailer Tie Downs...Need Advice

So, the geometry of my trailer isn't favorable to convenient aft tie downs. The trailer frame is wide, but the boat is narrow. The transom, however, is well supported by the bunks. The question is: Do tie down attach points, legally or practically, need to be to the trailer frame? I'm seeing a possible way to make a substantial attach points to the underside of the bunks that would equate to a short run for the straps which I see as a positive..less potential for slop and/or weight shift. Since I'm not a lawyer or an engineer, I thought I better ask for more experienced opinions.

lets see a pic gary.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Based on all of the hewescraft OP's and bigger boats that Dewey's sells without any system for tiedowns I don't think there are any legal implications to what you want to do. When I asked them for the straps they told me there aren't any and they don't provide them because the law doesn't require them (same with brakes on the trailer).

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Based on all of the hewescraft OP's and bigger boats that Dewey's sells without any system for tiedowns I don't think there are any legal implications to what you want to do. When I asked them for the straps they told me there aren't any and they don't provide them because the law doesn't require them (same with brakes on the trailer).
    Thanks for the intel, Bull. Since it quit raining for a few minutes, I crawled under to take a good look. There are a couple good places that I can make work. This boat has very little deadrise so I want the aft end snugged down to avoid side shift. Took a pic but can't seem to get it posted.

Over the years every once in a while there will be picture posted that show a boat that is no longer on the trailer caused by different things . Regardless of the law a person would stand a better chance of controlling it if boat and trailer are together. A boat should be strapped down for and aft. My 2 Cents worth

I put retracting ratchet straps on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Over the years every once in a while there will be picture posted that show a boat that is no longer on the trailer caused by different things . Regardless of the law a person would stand a better chance of controlling it if boat and trailer are together. A boat should be strapped down for and aft. My 2 Cents worth
    I'm with you on that! I have 2 bow eyes on my 20, Harvey in case one fails. The 2nd is retracting and pulls straight down so the bow can't buck out of the roller when I find a bad bump. It is a flat bottom boat and my bunks are super slick...so if I didn't have the aft secured I'm sure I'd be a statistic by now. Hope to rig this one similarly.

I use those large yellow load tie down ratchet straps and go frame to frame over the stern of the boat or swim step, no sharp edges. I must have broken at least 6 or so sets of the tie down straps you buy at the boat shops. I use this on the ocean boat as well as the river boat. The tie down straps have hooks not the wide metal "U" shaped ends and I use shackles through eyes that came on both trailers.

With our roads, frost heaves, there is no way I'd trailer a boat that wasn't secured at both ends to the trailer. I've towed both boats through Canada on the Alaska Highway without any shifting.

I put retracting ratchet straps on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, me too.
    Boat buckles aft and also for the nose safety strap.

http://www.basspro.com/BoatBuckle-Re.../product/1049/

You can see them here in the lower corners bolted to the trailer frame.

When I saw the thread of that beautiful offshore aluminum 30 foot boat on its side in the middle of the road a few weeks ago I knew I needed to strap my boat down better. I spotted these 4" 5500 lb cargo straps on Craigs list for $35ea I bought two and now feel better about trailering my boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do those boat buckles get along with saltwater? I was aware of them but since they won't readily mount on my trailer I didn't spend much time on research.

I had Boat Buckles on my boat. The ratchet part was bolted to the trailer. They lasted about 3 years. I replaced them with a 'cam operated' type of device. They have hooks on both ends and do not get dipped in salt water on every trip up and down the ramp.

I also see them as keeping my boat and trailer together longer in the event of some type of mishap.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    When I saw the thread of that beautiful offshore aluminum 30 foot boat on its side in the middle of the road a few weeks ago I knew I needed to strap my boat down better. I spotted these 4" 5500 lb cargo straps on Craigs list for $35ea I bought two and now feel better about trailering my boat.
    What kind of boat is that, Predator Control? Looks pretty stout...besides being well tied down.

That's a "My" kinda boat. I just finished it in mid July after a 2 year marathon extream makeover remodel. I did all of it myself. I just put about 50 hours on it and so far I'm really happy with it. Lots of very custom features. Comfortable for 3 guys to stay multiple days. Thanks for asking. I've got more photos if anyone is interested.

Congrats...it really caught my eye. You ought to start a thread on the build. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest. Wish I had those skills!

Thanks I'm glad you like the "lines". If you are interested I did post the entire build on a different forum where I got help / guidance from an old boat builder with 4 decades of experience. I did not know how to weld aluminum when I bought this boat and this old guy sort of coached me along on the thread how to weld and everything it took to make this project happen. The guy always has a firm opinion about everything on a boat. Most of the time I listened to him and when I didn't I usually later on wished I had. But it's all there documented, 2 years of back and forth discussion just me and the expert beating on every little detail beginning with how to weld aluminum.
    here's a photo of the boat I bought before I started the remodel
    I don't won't to hijack this thread so I'm done posting here on this subject.img_5396-resized-1400.jpg

http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...php?f=3&t=5692

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    How do those boat buckles get along with saltwater? I was aware of them but since they won't readily mount on my trailer I didn't spend much time on research.
    They have a stainless version.
    I just have the regular as I'm an inlander.

We use a shortened set of heavy duty ratchet straps. Wait and Sea in Soldotna has them. They were like $50. They don't recommend them for saltwater applications but we've got a good 8 years out of our old set. I spray them down with WD40 or even better Pam cooking spray from time to time and they work great. Of course they require eyes on both the boat and trailer aft corners.

I use those large yellow load tie down ratchet straps and go frame to frame over the stern of the boat. I mounted 1/2" UHMW with rounded edges to the gunnels to provide some protection. These are about 8" x 16" and makes a good cutting board for bait prep. I have a drain hole on my trailer tubing in the right area so I just slip the strap hooks in them. I put a half twist in the strap on each side and it reduces any wind snap. I put the ratchet on drivers side so I can keep an eye on it. I remove the strap when ready to back down the ramp into the water. I cut and heat sealed the strap to the right length. Has worked for last 7 years for my 24' Tolman. I have found there is no need to over tighten the strap. Just good and snug is fine. Based on some posts I may take a look and adding a strap to the front as well. I believe this is the one I got. Or it could have been Home Depot. One or the other. http://www.lowes.com/pd/SmartStraps-...e-Down/3740799 Ken

The straps that DRIFTER 016 has a link to are not strong enough for my ocean boat and 450 miles of Alaska's highways. Between 2000 and 2010 I broke at least 5 similar straps just on my 20' IB jet river boat, all were rated over 3000 pounds, on the 8000 pound ocean boat I broke 2 sets. yes sharp corners had something to do with the first couple failures, but not the last couple. Since going to the 3" yellow straps I've had no problems. Twisting the straps and lubricating the ratchets once in awhile are good ideas. As far as salt goes, the straps are in the box on the back of the truck shortly after getting to the harbor or beach and go on just before I leave with the boat, exposure to salt water is nil and salt air minimal. I have to wash the road grit out of them at least once a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast