Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use a water taxi to go hunt?

Default Can I use a water taxi to go hunt?

I have read on here numerous times to use a water taxi to get dropped off to hunt. I spoke with an area biologist and he said it was illegal. Only a licensed transporter can drop me. I plan on camping once there and scheduling a pick up later in the week. How is this illegal? And if not who has used a water taxi to go hunt?

How is anything illegal.......it is illegal because a law was passed that makes it illegal. Read the Alaska Game Regulations. Now if you want to know why we got that law passed........then that is a different question.

Quote Originally Posted by sourtoe View Post
    How is this illegal?

And if you offer to chip in some gas money for someone who is headed that way to take you along than you can expect a SWAT team to descend on your location within minutes.

Here in Alaska the guiding industry pays the piper.

Quote Originally Posted by sourtoe View Post
    I have read on here numerous times to use a water taxi to get dropped off to hunt. I spoke with an area biologist and he said it was illegal. Only a licensed transporter can drop me. I plan on camping once there and scheduling a pick up later in the week. How is this illegal? And if not who has used a water taxi to go hunt?
    To knowingly transport a hunter for any exchange of money, you have to be a licensed hunting transporter. Ask your water taxi in mind about it. If he's a water taxi that operates in a good hunting area, he most likely has his transporters license too. Biologist should have clarified that for you. It's not that water taxi's at not allowed to transport you to hunt, they just need be licensed.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Actually this came about out of who can legally use the word "Outfitter's", that was the start, then it got expanded into a much bigger mess of issues, and trades, even retail stores. The truth is that after about four years of hell for everyone, the professional hunting guides LOST........and they lost BIG. Everyone calling themselves "Outfitter" got a free Registered Hunting Guide License.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    And if you offer to chip in some gas money for someone who is headed that way to take you along than you can expect a SWAT team to descend on your location within minutes.

Here in Alaska the guiding industry pays the piper.

Keep in mind that the state biologist do not enforce the rules and they quite often get caught not knowing the rules. If you want advice on the rules ask a state Trooper.

Who also....."quite often get caught not knowing the rules".........Which if I had to guess, is why that sub-forum of AOD forum, never got off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Keep in mind that the state biologist do not enforce the rules and they quite often get caught not knowing the rules. If you want advice on the rules ask a state Trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Who also....."quite often get caught not knowing the rules".........Which if I had to guess, is why that sub-forum of AOD forum, never got off the ground.
    Yup. If I wanted clarification on Alaska Statutes, I'd consult the DA's office.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Just to cut to the chase here... The only water taxi on k-bay that is a licensed transporter (as far as I know) is Homer Ocean Charters. I was a transporter in the past, but it really wasn't worth the headaches.
    As far as Whittier and Seward, I think there are a few...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Just to cut to the chase here... The only water taxi on k-bay that is a licensed transporter (as far as I know) is Homer Ocean Charters. I was a transporter in the past, but it really wasn't worth the headaches.
    As far as Whittier and Seward, I think there are a few...
    Mind sharing what those "headaches" are? From someone looking from the outside it would look like its just another license/fee the state is tacking on, and if your already running a water taxi service, this should be worth it for the extra business. Though speaking as an outsider I am sure its more complicated that.

This comes from the Statutes and Regulations booklet dated Nov. 2015.
    Alaska Statute 08.54.720, Unlawful acts. (12) person to knowingly provide transportation services to big game hunters without holding a current guide-outfitter or transporter license.

Quote Originally Posted by airguide View Post
    This comes from the Statutes and Regulations booklet dated Nov. 2015.
    Alaska Statute 08.54.720, Unlawful acts. (12) person to knowingly provide transportation services to big game hunters without holding a current guide-outfitter or transporter license.
    Looks like duck hunting is no problem then since it says "big game"

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Again, this says "knowingly". Maybe it depends what you tell the water taxi....and what they know. It doesn't say they can't transport, but they can't knowingly. Another goofy wording to avoid prosecuting everyone that gives someone a lift but to stick it to everyone with hefty fines.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Always wondered about this. Say I hire a water taxi to drop me at a river to go fly fishing. It's deer season and I incidentally take a deer on the same trip. Does the water taxi now have to leave me in the weeds?

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Always wondered about this. Say I hire a water taxi to drop me at a river to go fly fishing. It's deer season and I incidentally take a deer on the same trip. Does the water taxi now have to leave me in the weeds?
    You were clearly in fear of your life, the buck was charging right at you!

This is one of those things that contacting the trooper that patrols the area would be a good idea. The regs are set up with fancy wording that they can use against you if you aren't dotting your T's and crossing your eyes.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    This is one of those things that contacting the trooper that patrols the area would be a good idea. The regs are set up with fancy wording that they can use against you if you aren't dotting your T's and crossing your eyes.
    That's good advice. However, the trooper from Hoonah might disagree with the trooper from Sitka. "Well Andy said I could" doesn't cut it when it's time for a citation from the other guy.

Lol that is sooooo true! And depending on what kinda day they are having.....
    Master guide 212

So I guess Uber is out too.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    So I guess Uber is out too.
    Now you're just being silly
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast