View Poll Results: When is the best time to fish for lakers?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • low air pressure

0 0%
  • high air pressure

0 0%
  • steady air pressure

0 0%
  • rapidly rising air pressure

0 0%
  • rapidly falling air pressure

2 66.67%
  • gradually rising air pressure

0 0%
  • gradually falling air pressure

0 0%
  • Other (Explain why)

1 33.33%

Thread: Barometric Pressure's Affect on Ice Fishing for Lake Trout

Default Barometric Pressure's Affect on Ice Fishing for Lake Trout

I have heard conflicting opinions on this topic and I thought it would be an interesting topic to read about in the off season before winter starts. What's your opinion and if possible what's your reasoning behind it? I have heard that air pressure affects swim bladders and causes discomfort and I also heard that air pressure affects dissolved oxygen levels in the water but I'm not sure what to believe. When do you think fishing for lakers is best? Vote your opinion.

This appears to be a myth. Huge weather front changes would appear to the fish to be a difference of a couple inches of changing water pressure.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/bar...sure-and-bass/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I know it affects pike. Haven't fished lakers enough to find out. A falling barometer after a long sustained high nearly always brings about a good bite. Barometer affects fish in open water too, but not as dramatically. There are other factors in open water that can trigger or suppress a bite even when barometer is less than optimal. In the winter, though, all you have is barometer. Other influences are gone, covered over in ice and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I know it affects pike. Haven't fished lakers enough to find out. A falling barometer after a long sustained high nearly always brings about a good bite. Barometer affects fish in open water too, but not as dramatically. There are other factors in open water that can trigger or suppress a bite even when barometer is less than optimal. In the winter, though, all you have is barometer. Other influences are gone, covered over in ice and snow.
    Thanks for your input. What you are saying is what I have heard also. It would be interesting to hear what others think and have heard.

Thought I would give this thread another bump. You can still vote guys. It would be nice to get some more feedback.

I voted on this Ice fishing question , very limited on the subject matter, but I did vote
    SID