Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Another Kenai HP question.

  1. #1
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Another Kenai HP question.

    I know that 50 hp is the limit on the Kenai so what about a 60/40 jet? Only putting out 40 hp at the terminal end and has a 40 hp sticker on the cowling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I know that 50 hp is the limit on the Kenai so what about a 60/40 jet? Only putting out 40 hp at the terminal end and has a 40 hp sticker on the cowling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I happened to end up in the local Merc dealer one day this summer as this discussion was taking place. Lane the owner is livid. The box stock store bought and sold Merc 60/40 is NOT kenai legal. They have guides that have been ticketed with them. They are still pleading and fighting that case in courts. Boils down to the serial number on the block belongs to a 60hp motor.

  3. #3
    Member coop22250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchor Point
    Posts
    271

    Default

    I do know several people who run the Yamaha 60/40 jet on the Kenai, but yes you can get a ticket for it. It is too bad, it is nice to have that extra to use other places that are more shallow. I really want one of those Alweld boats from Fairbanks with a tunnel and 60/40 merc but am afraid I would get caught.....

  4. #4
    Member wildwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kenai/Soldotna
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Here is the link to the actual reg---http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/aac.asp#11.20.860

    The language pertaining to the jet prop is as follows: "propshaft horsepower rating" means the boat motor's original manufacturer rated and labeled horsepower; however, the addition of a jet drive unit to a boat motor does not change the propshaft horsepower rating of the motor powerhead and driveshaft configuration for the purposes of this section.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

  5. #5
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    Here is the link to the actual reg---http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/aac.asp#11.20.860

    The language pertaining to the jet prop is as follows: "propshaft horsepower rating" means the boat motor's original manufacturer rated and labeled horsepower; however, the addition of a jet drive unit to a boat motor does not change the propshaft horsepower rating of the motor powerhead and driveshaft configuration for the purposes of this section.
    Thank you! I could quote it, but couldn't find it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Make sure you get the jet tunnel, not the prop tunnel, if you are gonna run a jet. Have had a few buddies that were convinced by the seller that the prop tunnel would work just fine. Two buddies spent a lot of money having Karolds welding fix their problem. The other guys sold the boats and got something else from somewhere else.

    Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    I do know several people who run the Yamaha 60/40 jet on the Kenai, but yes you can get a ticket for it. It is too bad, it is nice to have that extra to use other places that are more shallow. I really want one of those Alweld boats from Fairbanks with a tunnel and 60/40 merc but am afraid I would get caught.....
    Henry Bowman for President

  7. #7

    Default

    The Yamaha 50 & 60 are the same motor other than the ECU, but they only make a factory jet in the 60/40. So you have to order a 50hp prop unit and a separate jet unit so your motor has the 50hp vin. If the dealer is cool they might trade you the prop lower unit for a 60hp ecu...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •